Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 2/8/2017 7:52:39 PM EDT
I have a collection of about 8-12 books all signed by the same sci-Fi author, and part of that collection includes a pre-publication manuscript.  We are downsizing, and I need to get rid of these.  I would prefer that these items go to a collector who might value them, rather than simply taking them to a book store and disposing of them there.  The author died 2-5 years ago.

Any suggestions about whether it is worth the effort to find a collector who might have interest, places that auction small collections, selling a collection like this, or other ideas will be gratefully received.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
eBay? That's still the go-to for auction sites AFAIK and I'd think you'd get the most interest there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought of eBay, but heard they have so many hidden charges that people can get hosed pretty badly there.   Is that untrue, or are there tricks to avoid hard to find charges (other than carefully reading all the eBay rules)?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Reddit.  I know they have a thriving fantasy section, I'm sure it's the same for sci-fi.  The authors post a lot in the fantasy subreddit, so it draws in quite a crowd of real enthusiasts...the type of people that would be interested or knowledgeable about your collection.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless it is a very well known author with a rabid fan base, ebay is a poor choice for collectibles it seems.
While condition isn't as important as the signature, I think the main reason is how hard it is to verify on ebay as well.
Well known sellers might do better, but others will get the eh, scam and move on type look.

I would say you could consider a comic book store, or con to take them to sell.
I guess it depends on how valuable they might be.
Are we talking 20 bucks over the price of the book or a few thousand?
do you have proof that he signed them?

I mean you do see some crazy high dollar stuff on ebay, but I look at that as just advertisement.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
have it appraised, donate to a local college library and take the tax credit?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Glennis LeBlanc* at The Missing Volume could probably tell you what your books are worth and might purchase them or be able to place them on consignment.  She is in the middle of moving right now, so she may not be able to respond quickly.

Which author?

* If you've read _When The Devil Dances_, _Hell's Faire_, and/or _Eye of the Storm_ by John Ringo, yes, she appears in those books.  Yes, she is well-endowed.  Sorry, she's happily married.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top