Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is going to be really hard.

Ray Bradbury, R Is for Rocket.  

Actually, I'll stop there.  I grew up reading science fiction, I edited it as an adult, and there are just too many.  But, for me, Bradbury just has something extra.  A good example would be "The Sound of Summer Running" from that collection.  Not even science fiction per se, but a wonderful read.

What!?  You haven't read that story?    You're welcome.
View Quote

Wow!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wow!

Vulcan94
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I'll stop there.  I grew up reading science fiction, I edited it as an adult, and there are just too many.  But, for me, Bradbury just has something extra.  A good example would be "The Sound of Summer Running" from that collection.  Not even science fiction per se, but a wonderful read.

Wow!

Vulcan94
Thanks.  I have had the privilege of working on the material of great (or popular ;^) SF writers -- Bradbury, Clarke, Bova, McCaffrey, Martin, on and on -- but Bradbury is the guy for me.  He had his pure SF, sure, but also delved into early 20th Century America and minor horror with a humanity and compassion that often moved me.   His Martian Chronicles were ["was"?  YOU be the judge] so well written and readable at face value, and then for the reader comes the epiphany that those Martians, well, wait! this is OUR experience, they're really--

I also saw Ian McDonald's name go by, which pleased me greatly.  Less well known, but a great writer.  And a nice guy.  A genuinely nice guy.  I never got put through the vocabulary paces by anyone close to Ian's firepower.  Webster's Third International (Unabridged) was required.  We corresponded personally but briefly by letter before e-mail was ubiquitous.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Just read Ender's Game.

Had never heard of it till reading this thread.

Damn good book. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe I'm the first one to say Hyperion. I just re-read it, and was reminded what a masterpiece it is.

So for me:

Hyperion Cantos
Pandora's Star (if you like Sci-Fi and haven't read it, get on it!)
Fire Upon the Deep.

Easy choice for me, but definitely an honorable mention to:
Old Man's War
Forever War
A Mote in God's Eye
Dune

Didn't care for Starship Troopers if I'm being honest. Using the philosophy teacher to preach his own philosophy felt lazy to me. Also didn't care for Neuromancer too much. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the Epic Masterpiece of Science Fiction I was lead to believe it was.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Starship Troopers
Ringworld
The Tank Lords, a novellete written by David Drake to fill out a Hammer's Slammers compilation. I dare anyone who was a geek, nerd, or generally outcast as a kid to read that and not shout out "YES!" at the final scene.

Honorable mention to Ender's game, but only the novella. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a big fan of short stories, and because of that, I've always like Ray Bradbury after reading "The Illustrated Man" in highschool.  I can't recall if I've read "R is for Rocket," but I'll be sure to grab it next time I'm at the library.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just read Ender's Game.

Had never heard of it till reading this thread.

Damn good book. Interesting.
View Quote

It's my favorite.  It's probably the first book that I enthusiastically read beginning to end as a child for a school assignment.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Freehold - Michael Z Williamson - Military SF with a libertarian bend

Altered Carbon - Richard K Morgan - cyberpunk meets noir detective story with Phillip K Dick twists

Nexus - Ramez Naam - Near future technothriller
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein - nostalgic, started me on Sci-fi way back in Grade 3
2) Armor by John Steakley
3) I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

Some short stories I would have loved expanded into their own book:
1) "Incursions" by Mark Thies - from  Bolos Book 5: Old Guard (BB5) ed. Bill Fawcett c. 2001  
2) "A Time to Kill" by David M. Weber - from Bolos Book IV: Last Stand March 1997
3) "Scout" by Bud Sparhawk. . (Asimovs June 2012)
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Neuromancer  - William Gibson - It wasn't so much a book as an experience.  That book actually affected my life.

Ender's Shadow - Orson Scott Card - "Ender's Game" from the point of view of Bean.

Star Ship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein / Armour - John Steakley  - I like John's story better, but the idea was all Heinlein.

Watch on the Rhine (Die Wacht am Rhein) - John Ringo/Tom Kratman - It's part of the Posleean series.  Germany get's desperate and brings back the SS.  The actual WWII members of the SS.

Sixth Column - Heinlein - I don't know why, but the book always stuck with me.  A lot of this did.  I liked "Farnham's Freehold" and "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Science Fiction has been a difficult genre for me to get into. Reading, that is. I love Sci-fi movies. So I have a limited pool to draw from. In no particular order...

I, Robot - collection of short stories by Isaac Asimov

Dune - you know

Currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And even though I'm not quite finished, I think this will make the list.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Science Fiction has been a difficult genre for me to get into. Reading, that is. I love Sci-fi movies. So I have a limited pool to draw from. In no particular order...

I, Robot - collection of short stories by Isaac Asimov

Dune - you know

Currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And even though I'm not quite finished, I think this will make the list.
View Quote

Not only is the Guide great reading, it is excellent sci-fi, fantastic comedy and extraordinarily entertaining.  I cannot COUNT the times I have read it.

Building Harlequin's Moon by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper.
The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell is incredible mil spec sci fi.
...and no list is complete without the original Ringworld by Niven
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Altered Carbon - Richard K Morgan - cyberpunk meets noir detective story with Phillip K Dick twists
View Quote

I really like Richard K Morgan's writing, and Altered Carbon is my favorite of his.  It's well paced and the prose really carries me along.  Probably the most influential book on my own scribblings.

However, it's just a gripping yarn - it doesn't contain anything mindblowing, which to me is what sci-fi is truly about.

So my three, in no particular order:

Anathem, by Neal Stephenson

The Mote in God's Eye, by Larry and Jerry

And this is a tossup between A Fire Upon The Deep, and it's quasi-prequel A Deepness In The Sky by Vernor Vinge.  They're equally stunning, but I might give the edge on a list to Fire, just because the title is better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are three that stick with me:

Fall of Hyperion
Scratch Monkey
Seveneves

Although I read Alastair Reynolds the most.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Foundation trilogy. Issac Asimov.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
How about 3 (4) authors instead?  Since I like just about everything the three (four) of them have written.

John Scalzi
Robert A. Heinlein
Lois McMaster Bujold
John Ringo
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Due to posts in this thread, I read The Martian a few weeks ago and I just finished Asimov's Foundation. I really enjoyed both.

As a mechanical engineer, I loved the level of technical detail provided in The Martian. I had seen the movie first, but that didn't detract from the story at all. Without going into spoilers for either, I especially felt the book's ending was better than the movie's ending.

Foundation was a great read. I enjoy short stories, and the novel is essentially a collection of interrelated short stories separated via various amounts of time. I'll read more, even though I've read the followups aren't as strong.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Red Rising - Brown

Forever War - Haldeman

Ready Player One - Cline
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
1. Starship Troopers by Heinlein. Hands down, no questions asked. If this isn't somewhere on your list... what are you doing with your life?

2. Armor by John Steakley.
"That's the trouble with armor. It won't protect you from what you are."
"And what is that?"
"What you'll do."
"When?"
"When it counts." That scene hit me like a god damn freight train.

3. Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Great series, but the first one was the best.

Honorable Mention: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Starship Troopers

Old Man's War

Yellow Eyes

These are the three I've read the most times.

There are others I've read multiple times, too, but not as many times as these three.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Red Rising - Brown

Forever War - Haldeman

Ready Player One - Cline
View Quote
fify

Ready Player One was ok, but entirely too much "teenage angst" bs
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I have had the privilege of working on the material of great (or popular ;^) SF writers -- Bradbury, Clarke, Bova, McCaffrey, Martin, on and on -- but Bradbury is the guy for me.  He had his pure SF, sure, but also delved into early 20th Century America and minor horror with a humanity and compassion that often moved me.   His Martian Chronicles were ["was"?  YOU be the judge] so well written and readable at face value, and then for the reader comes the epiphany that those Martians, well, wait! this is OUR experience, they're really--

I also saw Ian McDonald's name go by, which pleased me greatly.  Less well known, but a great writer.  And a nice guy.  A genuinely nice guy.  I never got put through the vocabulary paces by anyone close to Ian's firepower.  Webster's Third International (Unabridged) was required.  We corresponded personally but briefly by letter before e-mail was ubiquitous.
View Quote
@vim

You are an editor? Please start another thread and talk about the authors you've worked with!  I don't want you to dish about the bad things, I'm more interested in the process and learning more about the authors you've known. If it helps, I name checked Ian earlier.  Thanks for considering it. 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Enders game
armor/starship troopers
triplanetary (really all the lensman books) e.e doc smith, literally defined space opera, which is still probably my favorite genre.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@vim

You are an editor? Please start another thread and talk about the authors you've worked with!  I don't want you to dish about the bad things, I'm more interested in the process and learning more about the authors you've known. If it helps, I name checked Ian earlier.  Thanks for considering it. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@vim

Was an editor, in a previous career.  I finished it with about a decade of freelance copyediting, working with (oh gosh, on the road at the moment and working from memory) Bantam Spectra, Tor, Del Ray, etc., in the SF/Fantasy world, Random House and others outside those genres.  Some of the Shannara stuff, I forgot Arthur C. Clarke above, some the Robotech series, blahblahblah on and on. Women's romance, men's adventure (Johnstone, both Ashes stuff and westerns), adult westerns (yep, you read that right), self-help, nonfiction -- whatever they'd pay me for.  Couple hundred books.  It paid ... nominally.  The publishing industry at the time was where a lot of people with liberal arts degree wanted to work, and the payscale reflected the reality that it the demand/availability of people favored the employer.

One author in particular -- a really well known person not mentioned so far -- was a real a-hole. 

Johnstone was prolific.  (He's not the a-hole referred to; I want to be clear.)  This was back in the days of paper manuscripts, double-spaced, and he was good for a 225-250 page manuscript every month, or so it seemed.

On the other end of things, Ian McDonald really was a class act as well as talented.  I saw elements of Jorge Luis Borges in his work, which he seemed to like, and we had a brief conversation on South American magic realism and weird stuff like the OBVIOUS central theme of death in Empire Dreams via airmail -- remember airmail? -- (he was in Dublin I think at the time).  Since I mentioned Ian, I'll add that one thing I admired was his ability to both extrapolate and synthesize technological advances into imaginative yet reasonable stories that showed their impact on society, culture, and, well, people.

I dunno that a thread would have anything wonderful, but I could fire up my scanner and post images of the style sheets I developed for some of them.  If nothing else, that would provide some insight into the mechanics of publishing and the ways the process gets carved up into discrete chunks that separate people can handle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Please post a link here if you decide to make a thread.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#27]
vim, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do now?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
vim, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do now?
View Quote
I work to develop advanced and emerging technologies.  ICT is my "focus" area. I get to work with some brilliant people, which is cool. 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

fify

Ready Player One was ok, but entirely too much "teenage angst" bs
View Quote
Thanks, I get Haldeman and Heinlein mixed up all the time.  You're right about the "teenage angst" but I still thought it was an enjoyable read. There's so many great sci-fi novels out there it's hard to pick just 3... Besides those I listed I really enjoyed The Red trilogy by Nagata, Constitution trilogy by Webb, Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein etc. I could go on and on LOL.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I really had a hard time enjoying Starship Troopers. I felt like he was using the book as a very thinly veiled attempt to philosophize- I mean, the teacher in it drones on and on... I just didn't care for how he did it I guess. I certainly wouldn't put it in the top 50 even, but that's just me I guess.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll Start!

1 - Gateway by Frederik Pohl
2 - Rendezvous with Rama - Clark
3 - Ender's Game - Card
View Quote

In no particular order, what came to mind that I'd reread today and enjoy.

Gateway - Pohl
The White Dragon - McCaffery
March Upcountry (Empire of Man) - Ringo
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I really had a hard time enjoying Starship Troopers. I felt like he was using the book as a very thinly veiled attempt to philosophize- I mean, the teacher in it drones on and on... I just didn't care for how he did it I guess. I certainly wouldn't put it in the top 50 even, but that's just me I guess.
View Quote
I didn't care for it either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Ringworld - Larry Niven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2296df-bc
(HALO pretty much stole Niven's concept, but not nearly as impressive as the original Ringworld of the book)

The Stars My Destination
- Alfred Bester.   1950's sci-fi with mind-blowing concepts of innate societal wide teleportation ability, combined with military grade hardware upgrades (for the right price).  Probably one of the best Sci-Fi books of all time.  And grim, from an era before grim was the norm.

A Fire Upon the Deep
Venor Vinge.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Was an editor, in a previous career.  I finished it with about a decade of freelance copyediting, working with (oh gosh, on the road at the moment and working from memory) Bantam Spectra, Tor, Del Ray, etc., in the SF/Fantasy world, Random House and others outside those genres.  Some of the Shannara stuff, I forgot Arthur C. Clarke above, some the Robotech series, blahblahblah on and on. Women's romance, men's adventure (Johnstone, both Ashes stuff and westerns), adult westerns (yep, you read that right), self-help, nonfiction -- whatever they'd pay me for.  Couple hundred books.  It paid ... nominally.  The publishing industry at the time was where a lot of people with liberal arts degree wanted to work, and the payscale reflected the reality that it the demand/availability of people favored the employer.

One author in particular -- a really well known person not mentioned so far -- was a real a-hole. 

Johnstone was prolific.  (He's not the a-hole referred to; I want to be clear.)  This was back in the days of paper manuscripts, double-spaced, and he was good for a 225-250 page manuscript every month, or so it seemed.

On the other end of things, Ian McDonald really was a class act as well as talented.  I saw elements of Jorge Luis Borges in his work, which he seemed to like, and we had a brief conversation on South American magic realism and weird stuff like the OBVIOUS central theme of death in Empire Dreams via airmail -- remember airmail? -- (he was in Dublin I think at the time).  Since I mentioned Ian, I'll add that one thing I admired was his ability to both extrapolate and synthesize technological advances into imaginative yet reasonable stories that showed their impact on society, culture, and, well, people.

I dunno that a thread would have anything wonderful, but I could fire up my scanner and post images of the style sheets I developed for some of them.  If nothing else, that would provide some insight into the mechanics of publishing and the ways the process gets carved up into discrete chunks that separate people can handle.
View Quote
I would love to read/see whatever you'd like to share.  Fiction/non-fiction, sci-fi or legit, I'd be very interested in reading about your experiences as an editor. 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can't believe I'm the first one to say Hyperion. I just re-read it, and was reminded what a masterpiece it is.
View Quote
I've also started a re-read of Hyperion due to this thread. I read it many years ago and my impression could probably be summed up with "dense". I've only read up to Sol's story so far and while still "dense" I find it more compelling than I did the first time through. I'm glad you mentioned it, I might never have re-visited Hyperion. 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've also started a re-read of Hyperion due to this thread. I read it many years ago and my impression could probably be summed up with "dense". I've only read up to Sol's story so far and while still "dense" I find it more compelling than I did the first time through. I'm glad you mentioned it, I might never have re-visited Hyperion. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's actually pretty decent.  The first book stood out the best.  If you have chance, I suggest the audiobook, as some of the voice-acting is quite excellent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#37]
The Book of the New Sun (and the coda "The Urth of the New Sun")

Neuromancer

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I really enjoyed "The Incarnations of Immortality" series by Piers Anthony
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dense is a good way to describe it...in a good way though.

I got so much more out of it the second time I read it. I expect I'll read it again in 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I got so much more out of it the second time I read it. I expect I'll read it again in 5 years or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't a father the last time I read it, the end of Sol's story reduced me to tears. I put the book down and checked on my kids. 
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wasn't a father the last time I read it, the end of Sol's story reduced me to tears. I put the book down and checked on my kids. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's very emotional. That, and the end of the 4th book when Raul realizes where Aenea was during her missing time...wow...
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#42]
My all time favorite sci-fy book is.

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Not in my top 3, but one of my faves: H Beam Piper's Lone Star Planet.

Some good one-liners and funny parts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
View Quote
I read that SO many times when I was a teenager.  It had a cool ending.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Probably my top 3, even though I'll argue with myself all day for picking these:

TMIAHM
Earth Abides
Dune

But that leaves off way too many brain benders.  PKD, Asimov, ...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
I would like to see it as a movie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
Have to be like an 8 part miniseries.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
That would be seriously awesome...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DARK IS THE SUN

By Phillip Jose' Farmer
They could do it nowadays, on something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#50]
1. The Lensman Series (The History of Civilization), E. E. Doc Smith; six books:
Triplanetary
First Lensman
Galactic Patrol
Gray Lensman
Second Stage Lensman
Children of the Lens

2. Hyperion Cantos, Dan Simmons; four books:
Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion

3. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams; five books:
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish
Mostly Harmless

4. The Giants Series, James Hogan; five books:
Inherit the Stars
The Gentle Giants of Ganymede
Giants' Star
Entoverse
Mission to Minerva
Page / 3
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top