Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 12/31/2016 8:55:57 PM EDT
It's the last day of the year, and since I've got nothing better to do, and because GoodReads has a couple of neat ways of showing off everything you've marked Read in a given year, I thought I'd give everything I read this year a once-over:

GoodReads Year in Review

List of books read, spoilered for length:
Click To View Spoiler

I had to cheat a bit to hit 50 "books" for the challenge (there's a few short stories and novellas in there), but on the balance I think I had a pretty good year reading.

So what about y'all? How was your year in books?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn I wish Amazon kept up with my books.

Good post!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn I wish Amazon kept up with my books.
Good post!
View Quote

If you go and set up a GoodReads account, and then go to My Books, there's totally a link that'll import all your book purchases from Amazon, even if they're not kindle books -- just make sure you do that for the first time before you friend anybody or have them friend you, so you don't put 50,000 "feudist read [BOOK TITLE]" or "feudist wants to read [BOOK TITLE]" updates in their timeline. The "currently reading" thing makes it reasonably easy to keep up with what you're reading even without an e-reader that'll report back for you automatically.

It's also a great vector for amazon to try to sell you more books, but it's a neat tool even so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you go and set up a GoodReads account, and then go to My Books, there's totally a link that'll import all your book purchases from Amazon, even if they're not kindle books -- just make sure you do that for the first time before you friend anybody or have them friend you, so you don't put 50,000 "feudist read [BOOK TITLE]" or "feudist wants to read [BOOK TITLE]" updates in their timeline. The "currently reading" thing makes it reasonably easy to keep up with what you're reading even without an e-reader that'll report back for you automatically.

It's also a great vector for amazon to try to sell you more books, but it's a neat tool even so.
View Quote
Cool! Done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
History

The Railway Man by Earl Lomax.  Scottish PoW come to terms with his Japanese interrogator.
The Intrepid Aviators - by Gregory Fletcher.  Sinking of the IJN Musashi.
Letters of a Combat Rifleman by Charles Davis.
The Making of a Canadian Sniper
Lost Honor, Betrayed Loyalty
A Sniper's Conflict
To the Gate of Hell
Tank Commander
SPQR by Mary Brand
Troop Commander by Bellamy
Steel My Soldiers' Hearts
Bloody Ridge and Beyond
Germany's Panzer Arm in World War II
Leaky's Luck.  Tank commander.  Good read on Australian infantry tactics at Tobruk too.
Inside the Battle of the Bulge
By Tank:  D-Day to VE.
A Tank Gunner's Story
To War With the Bays
Forging the Thunderbolt.
Neither Fear Nor Hope by von Senger und Etterlin
Washita Memories
D-Day to Victory
By Tank Into Normandy
The Last Panther (a historical novel)
A Fine Night for Tanks by Ken Trout
Fighting With the Dirty Thirteen
Bloody Roads to Germany
No Ammo
The Secret Rescue
Earned in Blood
Droughts and Dreams
Sink the Tirpitz!
Memoirs of Major General Rediesel (Rev. War German general serving the British at Saratoga)
Letters from the Pacific Front
Into Infamy
Goodbye Darkness by William Manchester
To Hell and Back by Audey Murphy
Gunning for the Enemy - RAF tail gunner.
Union Sharpshooter: The Diary and Letters of John T. Farnham
Confederate Sharpshooter
The Battle of the Monongahela
All the Gallant Men by Don Stratton
White Trash
Dagger-22

Economics/Investing

The Demographic Cliff by Harry Dent.  Interesting read on demographics and how it impacts economics.  don't concur with some of his conclusions though.
The Upside of Down
When Money Dies by Ferguson
The New Case for Gold by Jim Rickards
The Big Drop by Jim Rickards
Fiat Paper Money by Ralph T. Foster

Fyre-Arms

Lock, Stock and Barrel.  About restoring arms.

Other:

Lights Out by Ted Koppel
Bugging Out by Fernando Aguirre (Arfcom member FerFal308)

That might just be fifty books.  BTW, during this period I wrote a 45,000 word book for a UK publisher.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a good reads account.  I should make a list like that.  It'll probably be like 1 a month though.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top