Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 12/27/2016 8:20:59 PM EDT
I am getting a Kindle tomorrow, and want to get back to some reading.

I really enjoy watching movies like the 007 movies, Bourne movies, Shooter, and the like. What are some good books to look at that you can recommend?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The old Matt Helm books by Donald Hamilton were very good.

The first was Death of a Citizen.  Like a lot of series it deteriorated the farther it went.  But the first few were very, very good.

Lots of action, believable guns, don't confuse the books with the Dean Martin movies, the books are very serious.

They might seem dated now, that might be a problem for younger readers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I don't know if you like young adult books but if you're willing to give it a try I would suggest the  cherub series. It's about a branch of British intelligence but all the agents are kids between the ages of 10 to 18. It might not be you're speed but I love them and they aren't too childish.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Vince Flynn, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The guy that wrote Monster Hunter International (Larry Correia), wrote a series called Dead Six that read like the old school Tom Clancy novels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Vince Flynn's books are gold.
+1
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to like spy novels but having spent some time in the industry just killed it for me.  

However, my advice from before I lost interest in the genre would be to avoid series.  Unless corny 007/Bourne type stuff appeals to you.  The better spy novels I read were always standalone books.  Sorry I can't remember any off the top of my head, it's been a while
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Dirk Pitt novels by Clive Cussler.  First one in the series is Raise the Titanic I believe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Agents of Innocence by David Ignatius
A "superlative spy novel" (New York Times) by the author of the bestselling espionage thrillers Body of Lies and The Director.
Agents of Innocence is the book that established David Ignatius's reputation as a master of the novel of contemporary espionage. Into the treacherous world of shifting alliances and arcane subterfuge comes idealistic CIA man Tom Rogers. Posted in Beirut to penetrate the PLO and recruit a high-level operative, he soon learns the heavy price of innocence in a time and place that has no use for it.
View Quote
The Night Soldiers by Alan Furst
Bulgaria, 1934. A young man is murdered by the local fascists. His brother, Khristo Stoianev, is recruited into the NKVD, the Soviet secret intelligence service, and sent to Spain to serve in its civil war. Warned that he is about to become a victim of Stalin’s purges, Khristo flees to Paris. Night Soldiers masterfully re-creates
the European world of 1934–45: the struggle between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia for Eastern Europe, the last desperate gaiety of the beau monde in 1937 Paris, and guerrilla operations with the French underground in 1944. Night Soldiers is a scrupulously researched panoramic novel, a work on a grand scale.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dirk Pitt novels by Clive Cussler.  First one in the series is Raise the Titanic I believe.
View Quote
The first is actually "Pacific Vortex".  I haven't read them but it is on deck when I finish my current book.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]
"A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal " by Ben Macintyre.  Non-fiction.  Should be available for free at your local library's eBook site.

Enjoy your reader!

ETA: For spy fiction read John Le Carre novels.  Many are dated, but all are well written.  Also should be available for free at your local library's eBook site.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't read any spy novels specifically, but this thread did remind me that I read The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler recently - private detectives are kinda like spies, right?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vince Flynn, obviously.
View Quote
Agree!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked John LeCarre's Smiley series.   Not real actiony though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
My Father's Secret War by Lucinda Franks.  Non-fiction, Pulitzer Prize winner Franks delves into her father's tight lipped story as a spy with the Naval Intelligence Service in WW II.  Apparently he killed a German NCO as well as an American double-agent.  Another good thing about the book is that it discusses journalistic techniques.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top