Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 2:36:05 PM EDT
Would be nice to have a book that puts this into perspective.
Basically a good book that explains people, they way they think and why they do things.
I see all sorts of people everyday doing unusual things and wonder why.
Essentially i guess it would be a book on human behavior or behavior in society.
Anyone come across a good book like this?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A book on the Enneagram, is the book you seek.  

Enneagram books have helped me understand the personalities of my friends and family (and myself).  It helps you understand why people are who they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enneagram_of_Personality
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I found The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Johnathan Haidt very interesting. It explores similarities in moral psychology across multiple cultures and tries to come up with a model that explains why people have different views on similar problems. Haidt is a liberal (he admits he is biased right up front), but I feel like he gives conservatives a very fair shake (e.g., while trying to explain why conservatives give more to charity but oppose expansion of social programs).

ETA: it also explores morality in developmental psychology -- like, when babies become able to perceive things as "fair" or "unfair", "right" or "wrong" -- he describes a study in which babies preferred toys and puppets that were used to act out "fair" behavior, compared to toys that acted out "unfair" or mean behavior. It's a really neat book.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, these book are on audible.com

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Enneagram books have helped me understand the personalities of my friends and family (and myself).  It helps you understand why people are who they are.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are actually 4 different books. Any particular one or any of them.

Quoted:
I found The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Johnathan Haidt very interesting. It explores similarities in moral psychology across multiple cultures and tries to come up with a model that explains why people have different views on similar problems. Haidt is a liberal (he admits he is biased right up front), but I feel like he gives conservatives a very fair shake (e.g., while trying to explain why conservatives give more to charity but oppose expansion of social programs).

ETA: it also explores morality in developmental psychology -- like, when babies become able to perceive things as "fair" or "unfair", "right" or "wrong" -- he describes a study in which babies preferred toys and puppets that were used to act out "fair" behavior, compared to toys that acted out "unfair" or mean behavior. It's a really neat book.

Found it.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Any book on child psychology will probably explain it, although the older the child psychology book the better.

If you're just looking for a synopsis here it is:  People will always behave to the least common denominator, that is like children.  The more professional, technical types are the worst because they also have way too much ego which leads them to believe that they are always right no matter what the subject is.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
King Rat by James Clavell

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
In the vein of the Enneagram recommendation above, Please Understand Me or Please Understand Me II. These are the books that talk about the Myers Briggs personality types. The core concept behind it being that other people do "weird" things because they don't necessarily have the same goals that you do. (One type might value security and stability the most, another fun and freedom, another understanding and knowledge...)

Looked at from a different perspective... I found Influence by Robert Cialdini to be interesting. It talks about how people are persuaded to do things... even when those things don't make any sense. Not a perfect book, but interesting nonetheless.

And, of course, just about any psychology book ever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Currently 1/3 of the way through this book.

So, far it was been very interesting and a bit of an eye opener.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
View Quote

This; however, both Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky tended to greatly exaggerate personalities in their writing.  In a similar vein, I'd suggest Hemingway if OP is interested in fiction.

For non-fiction, I'd also suggest "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
View Quote

Fantastic book... At 500 pages it's a long one and leans heavily academic.

OP - Economics, not psychology, will answer all of your questions about human nature. Psychology stuff is for emotionally compromised women.

You can wet you appetite for answers with the Freakonomics series by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#13]
"no one understands you, and what to do about it" Heidi halvorson
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top