Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 3:07:59 PM EDT
I'm looking into speed reading. Any program you folks would recommend?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a few plugins for firefox and chrome that allow you to "speed read" web content. I used these while I was in school to down content but I don't really enjoy speed reading.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Try this. Online and free:

Spreeder
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a few plugins for firefox and chrome that allow you to "speed read" web content. I used these while I was in school to down content but I don't really enjoy speed reading.
View Quote

It isn't something one does for enjoyment.  Oh, some people do, I'm sure, there are plenty of oddballs out there, but it is not an indicator of intelligence or ability, it's simply that they actually do not like to read and want to get through it quickly.

I savor each word when I read.  I seldom read faster than I could speak.  I can read very quickly, but I prefer for ideas to digest a bit before I move onto the next one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try this. Online and free:

Spreeder
View Quote
Thanks. Looks most interesting. I've bought many books and have decided it high time to read them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It isn't something one does for enjoyment.  Oh, some people do, I'm sure, there are plenty of oddballs out there, but it is not an indicator of intelligence or ability, it's simply that they actually do not like to read and want to get through it quickly.

I savor each word when I read.  I seldom read faster than I could speak.  I can read very quickly, but I prefer for ideas to digest a bit before I move onto the next one.
View Quote

I envy you that. I've never been able to slow my reading down. I scan chunks of text and miss much of the nuance, I've always been that way. When the book is finished, I remember the gist of the story, but forget some of the details. I love reading nonetheless, but when I get a good book in my hand, it's a race to finish.

I have always wished that I were one of those people that can quote from their favorite works, but my memory isn't that great.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a free online course at www.readspeeder.com that has gotten pretty good reviews, but as a few others here have pointed out, speed reading for comprehension (and out of necessity) is different than speed reading for pleasure.  I've never really enjoyed the books that I've hurried through.  The content is the same, but something is lost when I don't take the time to process emotion while reading, especially with fiction.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top