Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 8/5/2016 4:27:22 AM EDT
Just noticed Ringo's Monster Hunter Memoir: Grunge is out.
Ringo writing in Correia's MHI Universe...what more can you ask for?

I'm in the middle of the latest Day By Day Armageddon, so I won't get to Grunge until next week.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to finish the second book of the Grimnoir books before I start the new MHI.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished it. I really enjoyed it
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just finished it. I really enjoyed it
View Quote

That is good news.  I would hated to here that it sucks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it, kind of a short story anthology vibe to it, since they are "memoirs". First person though like the Owen Pitt oriented books.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
"Pro tip" got annoying after the fourth or fifth time, and seems to appear several times per chapter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"Pro tip" got annoying after the fourth or fifth time, and seems to appear several times per chapter.
View Quote

Well, the memoirs ARE supposed to be guidance to future monster hunters about lessons learned from his encounters...  The next two are still in editing, so I can mention that as a term that is overused.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I enjoyed it.  It has a different feel that regular MHI.  Pro tips did not bother me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I enjoyed it.  It has a different feel that regular MHI.  Pro tips did not bother me.
View Quote
I didn't notice the pro tips either.  I liked the different feel.  I am reading it for a second time.  The next one can't come out soon enough

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I enjoyed it.  It's an awesome universe.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, the memoirs ARE supposed to be guidance to future monster hunters about lessons learned from his encounters...  The next two are still in editing, so I can mention that as a term that is overused.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kind of liked that.

Main character was a serious mary sue; assuming of course that he's trustworthy (which he probably isn't, according to Milo's notes in the beginning).

As expected Ringo book. I'm kind of waiting for him to go full Heinlein with the ghost series, assuming it gets rescued from its just wretched co-author.

TR
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I kind of liked that.

Main character was a serious mary sue; assuming of course that he's trustworthy (which he probably isn't, according to Milo's notes in the beginning).

As expected Ringo book. I'm kind of waiting for him to go full Heinlein with the ghost series, assuming it gets rescued from its just wretched co-author.

TR
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kind of liked that.

TR

Only seen one "pro-tip" so far in Sinners, about 1/4 of the way through, although this is the version that was sent to Larry, don't have the version with Larry's edits.  

As for the next Ghost book, second coauthor is significantly better than the first one was, but the book still needs a fair bit of editing, and no idea when that'll be finished.  Even without any editing, the manuscript was better than the published book by the other coauthor (because the coauthor was late turning it in and John was sick and didn't have time to really fix it, just filed off the worst crap and sent it in).  Trying to remember the real name of that first coauthor, "Ryan Sear" was a pseudonym, which I suspect he won't be using again.  Didn't show up to any of the panels that had John Ringo on them when he was at DragonCon a couple of years ago, and didn't make any mention of that book in his bio.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Enjoying the hell out of the Grunge audiobook.  Almost done I think.  Haven't noticed the pro tip or any other verbal tics, which are even easier to spot in audio format IME.  Compared to G. Michael Hopf's New World series, which has "bullets raining down" every couple of pages.

Not sure why I might have thought that a book from my two favorite "fun" authors wouldn't be awesome, but I was still pleasantly surprised and engrossed from the first chapter.  Some Ringo flavor in there too if you know what I mean, although still PG.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it. It's not as good as Larry's books because I like his more plot-driven narrative, but I didn't expect it to be. It's still quite enjoyable though.

I'll definitely pick up the others.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just noticed Ringo's Monster Hunter Memoir: Grunge is out.
Ringo writing in Correia's MHI Universe...what more can you ask for?

I'm in the middle of the latest Day By Day Armageddon, so I won't get to Grunge until next week.
View Quote

I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Almost done I think.  .
View Quote

Well, still had a lot to go actually.  Now over 11 hours on the audiobook, which by the way has an excellent voice actor!  Love the sheriff storyline, "There were a lot of volunteers - at first".  And sheriff vs Agent Franks.
I liked the short stories and monster details compared to a "big bad" storyline.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Ringos' influence is obvious in Grunge.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ringos' influence is obvious in Grunge.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
View Quote

I should hope so, since he was the primary writer.  

Larry just did some editing for continuity and "ahem" content, as you can imagine.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Sinners is out in e-arc. I think he did a good job. Kept me entertained!

Found 5 or 7 pro-tips. Didn't care. Might not have noticed them at all, except for this thread.

John has no love for gnomes, garden or otherwise, apparently.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have to finish the second book of the Grimnoir books before I start the new MHI.
View Quote

grimnoir is so far larry's only series i just can't get into. i'm a huge mhi and dead six fan and looking forward to more son of the black sword
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I kind of liked that.

TR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kind of liked that.

TR

he is a mary sue but they kind of set that up with his fishing buddy, plus it's first person. reading the same scene from earl's or milo's or susan shackelford's pov would be an interesting comparison
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Only seen one "pro-tip" so far in Sinners, about 1/4 of the way through, although this is the version that was sent to Larry, don't have the version with Larry's edits.  

As for the next Ghost book, second coauthor is significantly better than the first one was, but the book still needs a fair bit of editing, and no idea when that'll be finished.  Even without any editing, the manuscript was better than the published book by the other coauthor (because the coauthor was late turning it in and John was sick and didn't have time to really fix it, just filed off the worst crap and sent it in).  Trying to remember the real name of that first coauthor, "Ryan Sear" was a pseudonym, which I suspect he won't be using again.  Didn't show up to any of the panels that had John Ringo on them when he was at DragonCon a couple of years ago, and didn't make any mention of that book in his bio.

View Quote

have they officially released the name of the co-author yet?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the publisher considers it a big secret, but the coauthor seems to think he's supposed to wait until the publisher releases it, not sure why.  Right now, it's MINIMUM a year on the book, because I don't think John has edited it yet, they're trying to push him to get another one of his solo authored books done.  Doesn't help that his father-in-law just had triple bypass surgery this past week and is still in the hospital.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:10:04 AM EDT
[#23]
saw that about his FIL the other night. good to see he came through it well
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Why the heck is Sinners not in the kindle store yet?  

I'm about to choke someone.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#25]
That is weird, the Audible version is available.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why the heck is Sinners not in the kindle store yet?  

I'm about to choke someone.
View Quote

Buy it direct from Baen at http://www.baenebooks.com/
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Fixed and it was up as of yesterday. Larry has a direct link to the Kindle store on his site.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome, Ringo is one of my favorite writers. 

Also, reading the MHI books for the first time, I'm on Legion. Really enjoying them.
Isn't Larry Correia a member here?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Awesome, Ringo is one of my favorite writers. 

Also, reading the MHI books for the first time, I'm on Legion. Really enjoying them.
Isn't Larry Correia a member here?
View Quote

Yes, he stops in occasionally, usually just starts a thread about something.  Ringo is aware of ARFCOM but doesn't have an account here, gun geekery actually bores him, he enjoys plinking and tries to get technical details right in his writing, but he's not enthusiastic about discussing technical details of guns.  Heck, he likes HK's (and loves that my wife grabs him one of their hats from the NRA show each year).
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Buy it direct from Baen at http://www.baenebooks.com/
View Quote

Looks like Amazon fixed it the next day.  I picked it up last night and I'm roughly half way through already.  Fun read again so far.  Does not lack for action or humor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Looks like Amazon fixed it the next day.  I picked it up last night and I'm roughly half way through already.  Fun read again so far.  Does not lack for action or humor.
View Quote

I agree I bought last night after I saw your comment and I am 48% through it.   The pro tips seem better in this book.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#32]
If you have not read the original books and the Ringo books don't click the spoiler.

Click To View Spoiler

Finished it the day after my last post.  Great fun read all the way through.  I was never bothered by the pro tips until you jerks kept pointing them out in every single thread.  

I really wish that John Ringo could write one more book to wrap it up.  I enjoyed his run of it greatly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Monster Hunter Memoirs is a trilogy. I don't remember the name of the third book, but it's "on the way", we're told Monster Hunter Memoirs:Saints . I think Ringo had to finish it, or had to do some rewriting. Or it could be at Correia's, awaiting edits, while he finishes MHI:Siege.

I think they both had contracts to complete that could only be set aside so long, and Book 3 just couldn't be squeezed in.

I'm often wrong, but rarely in doubt!

ETA: Saints is anticipated in 2017. (As of Jun 2016).

ETA2: MHI:Siege is anticipated to be published in Aug 2017. MHM:Saints will be after than, but is not on the (released) production schedule, yet.

(Baen's Bar is where I'm looking for data. But LoneWolfe545 will have better/different details.)

((Too bad we'll never know who was behind the faster-than-light transmitter in the Aldenata series. I'll always wonder.))
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you have not read the original books and the Ringo books don't click the spoiler.

Click To View Spoiler

Finished it the day after my last post.  Great fun read all the way through.  I was never bothered by the pro tips until you jerks kept pointing them out in every single thread.  

I really wish that John Ringo could write one more book to wrap it up.  I enjoyed his run of it greatly.
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

there is a third book coming, it's written and i think edited, but not sure. ringo wasn't actually contracted or invited....he was bored, had been told about mhi and wasn't thrilled about it, but finally sat down and read the first book, then devoured the next 4 and his muse kicked in. next thing you know he's got 3 books written and calling correia was kind of an after thought . correia being the smart guy he is saw that ringo was handing him a pile of money for less work than usual and did the editing and rewrites for continuity and now everybody makes a pile of money and we get bonus mhi books sarah hoyt is working on one too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

there is a third book coming, it's written and i think edited, but not sure. ringo wasn't actually contracted or invited....he was bored, had been told about mhi and wasn't thrilled about it, but finally sat down and read the first book, then devoured the next 4 and his muse kicked in. next thing you know he's got 3 books written and calling correia was kind of an after thought . correia being the smart guy he is saw that ringo was handing him a pile of money for less work than usual and did the editing and rewrites for continuity and now everybody makes a pile of money and we get bonus mhi books sarah hoyt is working on one too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Actually, Ringo and Correia had a contract for something else, and hadn't really made any progress on it (was supposed to be a Steampunkish book), so when Ringo's muse went wild on this, once Larry agreed, the contract for these books replaced the existing contract they had.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Actually, Ringo and Correia had a contract for something else, and hadn't really made any progress on it (was supposed to be a Steampunkish book), so when Ringo's muse went wild on this, once Larry agreed, the contract for these books replaced the existing contract they had.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

i forgot about the other collaboration...didn't know about the steampunk bit
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#38]
The second Ringo MHI book "Sinners" is out and very good.  I "read" it via Audible, great audiobook. Still the 1980s in the story line so more to come if they are gonna take the memoirs all the way up to Ironhand's death.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The second Ringo MHI book "Sinners" is out and very good.  I "read" it via Audible, great audiobook. Still the 1980s in the story line so more to come if they are gonna take the memoirs all the way up to Ironhand's death.
View Quote

It doesn't go all the way up to Ironhand's death, only one book remaining, "Saints", it's still being edited and Baen hasn't released a publishing date that I'm aware of.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Enjoying the hell out of Sinners audio book.  "Damn you Lee Iacocca!"
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top