Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have that one too, have not read it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fallen Dragon by pete hamilton.

I have that one too, have not read it yet.

Read that a few weeks ago, it is a very good read.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
John Ringo's Posleen series.
View Quote

Read all of those a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Started watching the show "The Expanse" based on a book series. 

If the show does the books any justice, they are probably really fucking good. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_Wakes

Every beloved near sci-fi trope is included, it's like Heinlein had a orgy with Firefly and Bebop  and this show is the lovechild. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The show doesn't really do the books justice, but is nevertheless fun and watchable, anyway. Engaging, if not nearly as in-depth - but that's TV for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The show doesn't really do the books justice, but is nevertheless fun and watchable, anyway. Engaging, if not nearly as in-depth - but that's TV for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!  I'll definitely have to track them down then!

I agree that depth of context is easier in books, but man... some things just come across better visually.

I.E.   rail gun scene... and when gravity comes back.   OMG fell in love with the show.  The quasi-realistic physics and use of the complexity of distance in space and solar system orbital mechanics is neat to see in TV. 
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Troika by Alastair Reynolds is a really excellent novella. Takes place in the relatively near future with reasonable space tech. I couldn't put it down once I picked it up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree that depth of context is easier in books, but man... some things just come across better visually.

I.E.   rail gun scene... and when gravity comes back.   OMG fell in love with the show.  The quasi-realistic physics and use of the complexity of distance in space and solar system orbital mechanics is neat to see in TV. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that was a great scene...as was depressurizing the ship before combat
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.  Not much on story or characters, but the descriptions of colonizing Mars and the early stages of terraforming are interesting enough to carry it.  It's a conditional recommendation, however, because it's dry.

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds.  A mining spaceship in 2057 is redirected to take readings of the moon Janus when it breaks orbit and begins accelerating out of the solar system.  I loved this one, but I'm a Reynolds fan.
View Quote
Yeah, "Pushing Ice" is a nice story arc that starts out pretty mundane and goes out to WTFOMGBBQ.  Stays interesting the whole time but goes from one type of sci-fi all the way over to the other type.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.  Not much on story or characters, but the descriptions of colonizing Mars and the early stages of terraforming are interesting enough to carry it.  It's a conditional recommendation, however, because it's dry.
View Quote

Hell yes, I love Robinson's Mars series. There's also Icehenge by the same guy - he wrote it ~10 years before he started the Mars trilogy, but it deals with some of the same concepts and has similar themes. It's shorter and less technical (although one of the main characters is still, like, a water-recycling engineer) than Red Mars.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG right? All the little details... so good! 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Love the scene where he tethers his crewmate in zero G and kicks her away so he can 3rd law his way down close enought to the deck to activate his mag boots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The Frontlines series by Marko Kloos is a good mil sci-fi story of first contact in the middle of an east vs west rivalry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Frontlines series by Marko Kloos is a good mil sci-fi story of first contact in the middle of an east vs west rivalry.
View Quote
I was going to recommend that as well.  I am in the middle of book 4/5.  Pretty good reading.

You can easily tell his influences:  Armor, Starship Troopers, Aliens, etc.  But he tells a great story.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Sector 64
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's a liberal and I've never read a book of his I liked except his popular one. He's the only author I've sent hate mail (and he replied, too).
View Quote
I've been a friend of Joe and his wife for 43 years. I unfriended them on bookface
because of his/her pre-election posts. I get your actions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]
David Weber - Apocalypse Troll
The Expanse/Leviathan Wakes
Draka series by S.M. Stirling
John Ringo - The Last Centurion
John Ringo - Troy Rising series
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll recommend Charles Stross' Accelerondo. It's a bit cyberpunk and definitely near future.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While not much of a "Book reader"  I have that one on order because of the show.  
Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thirteen by Richard K morgan, author of altered Carbon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345480899?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top