Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 7/8/2016 4:10:42 PM EDT
I know there are a lot of fans of the Scot Harvath books out there, but I have to ask:

Do these books get better?

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this first book and boy am I not enjoying it.

Mr. Thor spends page after page telling us Scot is a badass SEAL, a great Secret Serviceman, etc etc, but he has yet to SHOW me Scot is any of those things. So far he's been nothing but a petulant child complaining and stumbling his way through one stupid idea after another and mostly surviving through luck and the incompetence of his foes.

We get multiple mentions of his "security" measure, the hair on the door frame, and yet he still manages to walk into an ambush and is blindsided after noting that the hair was missing.

He just happens to know people in all the right places, even halfway across the globe, where he needs to go or whom have information he needs. Also, the author has a habit of telling us things Scot miraculously acquired at some vague point in the past IE - "He had picked up such-and-such at the gift shop when he got off the train." Once or twice is forgivable, but continually having your character produce things he found off-page, so to speak, is dishonest to your readers.

I don't even want to know how he's going to employ the airsoft Glock. I can't imagine he wouldn't have been better off buying a nice pocket knife to carry, but whatever.

I'll finish the book, because I rarely give up on one once I start, but it would take a dramatic turn of events for me to consider buying another.

I think maybe I'll move on and try the Bosch series by Connelly instead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i read for entertainment and i found the Harvath series enjoyable to read..  I have read up through book 10 or so several times..

I also like the Presidential Agent series by WEB Griffin - after the first book, the next 7 spent at least 1/3 of the book rehasing what happened in the previous books but lots of actions.  BUT the last book 'hazardous duty' - was a hard read.. it was at least 3/4 rehash and then it just ends.. nothing is really wrapped up IT JUST ENDS..  Griffin goes on the explain that he lost he way on it and wrote it like a M*A*S*H episode..

brian

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i read for entertainment and i found the Harvath series enjoyable to read..  I have read up through book 10 or so several times..

I also like the Presidential Agent series by WEB Griffin - after the first book, the next 7 spent at least 1/3 of the book rehasing what happened in the previous books but lots of actions.  BUT the last book 'hazardous duty' - was a hard read.. it was at least 3/4 rehash and then it just ends.. nothing is really wrapped up IT JUST ENDS..  Griffin goes on the explain that he lost he way on it and wrote it like a M*A*S*H episode..

brian

View Quote
As do I. Typically I'm fairly easy to please. Just entertain me and I'll keep reading.

This book just rubs me wrong, I guess.

My father-in-law reads the WEB books. He gave me one to try but it was from somewhere in the middle of the series and I just couldn't get into it. One of the few books I haven't finished, but it's rarely fair to base impressions on a series when you read it like that.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to read it too, wanted to like it, but couldn't finish it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No, they don't.  Vince Flynn and Mitch Rapp will slake your thirst.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I officially gave up on it at lunch today. I think I've only ever quit partway through a book one other time, but Brad Thor's book managed to crush my will to care.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I officially gave up on it at lunch today. I think I've only ever quit partway through a book one other time, but Brad Thor's book managed to crush my will to care.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the same way and had the same reaction.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how those book are for some people huh?

People find out you are a "gun guy" and say how you have to read them. There's just something missing in that series for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try the Connely books with Harry Bosch, very good read will keep your interest.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes,I just finished the first one, as a matter of fact. Very well written and engaging. I'll definitely pick up more of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Takedown and The Last Patriot are my 2 favorite of Brad Thor's books.  The first couple weren't the greatest
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top