Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/9/2016 7:25:57 PM EDT
Searched for this, and everything on the topic was archived and wouldn't let me revive it, so here we go...

I've done the W.E.B. Griffin books, the Tom Clancy books, the John Ringo books (and still am), Able Team, Phoenix Force, Mack Bolan, and a bunch of others, but had never read any of the Jack Reacher books.  Saw the movie, enjoyed it a lot, so I grabbed one of the pulp novels and started reading.  Very first mention of guns in the book, the two bad guys are carrying S&W Sigma 40's which are "very expensive" guns.  

Do I just skip over that part, just like we skip over so many things in movies and tv shows, because the books are good?  Or was the movie the exception that proved the rule and I should skip the rest of the books?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's written buy a Brit with no clue about guns or the mill but ignore the silly and enjoy the books.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The early books are better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read/listened to a handful of them. I liked them. They were decent books. Simple and easy to read. Nothing too deep or complex. You can't help but like Reacher. He is a bad ass with a code that most people here would admire. The authors writing style or at least so of the descriptions he uses make him sound like a real old timer but thats not necessarily a bad thing. I didn't know he was a Brit. Maybe thats what it is. A Brit trying to sound American.
As for the movie. I liked it well enough but Tom Cruise was NOT the right guy to play Reacher.  I think he is a great actor despite being completely insane but he is an oompa loompa and Reacher is constantly referred to as a really big guy. 6'5" and 230-250lbs of pure muscle. Physically intimidating etc. Tom Cruise...not so much.
I consider the books good mindless entertainment. Not the greatest works ever but fun reads. Or if you like audio books for car trips they are perfect since they are easy to follow while not paying 100% attention.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The author has no clue about guns.  They're good books otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read a bunch of them but lost interest because predictable.

ETA: see below
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Reacher rolled into town.

Reacher got hemmed up in something.

Reacher fucked girl.

Reacher headbutted someone.

Reacher said nothing.

Reacher left.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reacher fucked girl.
Reacher said nothing.
Reacher left.

View Quote

After reading the fourth book this was the pattern that emerged.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reacher fucked girl.
Reacher said nothing.
Reacher left.

Also, the white guy is always in on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Brad Thor...Scot Harvath series
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reacher fucked girl.
Reacher said nothing.
Reacher left.

View Quote

Perfect.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reacher fucked girl.
Reacher said nothing.
Reacher left.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Reacher fucked girl.
Reacher said nothing.
Reacher left.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Author knows less than Stephen King in regard to guns, but insists on not only including them in every story but making them plot devices.  

If that's not a problem for you, go forth and enjoy.  For me?  It's like I'm reading Hunt for Red October if Tom Clancy had done no research and only seen a picture of a submarine.  Once.  And it was in a movie starring Kirk Douglas and a giant squid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked the book character, probably because I was a Security Policeman and found some aspects of the Reacher team interesting, but the movie was silly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I liked the movie but did not care for the two or three books I read. The author is some British guy who brags about writing while stoned and kind of admits he needed a book series to make a living. I read a fair amount of semi pulp detective action books- actually I listen to them while commuting, the teacher books are one of the few I never bothered finishing  
View Quote

Yes, that's how getting paid to write books usually works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked the movie but did not care for the two or three books I read. The author is some British guy who brags about writing while stoned and kind of admits he needed a book series to make a living. I read a fair amount of semi pulp detective action books- actually I listen to them while commuting, the teacher books are one of the few I never bothered finishing  

As I interpret what Lee Child has written in the back of a few of his books, he apparently studied law and became a solicitor but never practiced, had a successful writing career in British television but was 'rightsized out' in some sort of reorganization, then took up writing novels.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I have read every Jack Reacher book. I found them entertaining. As someone mentioned earlier they all follow the same pattern about rolling into town, finding trouble, banging a broad, beating people up and leaving. I really like his smart ass remarks and words of wisdom to people so I keep reading them.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top