Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 3:23:26 PM EDT
First let me say I'm primarily a Science Fiction fan...but I picked up Mistborn because it sounded interesting...I'm glad I did, because it blew me away. Maybe the most epic thing I've ever read. Sanderson has a way of building tension to an epic climax that I don't think has been matched by anyone I've ever read. If you haven't read all 6 plus the Secret Histories...get on that shit ASAP.

Then I read the first two Stormlight Archive books, and I realized they were connected in some way to Mistborn. Stormlight again, shows that Sanderson is amazing when it comes to telling a gripping story with a satisfying conclusion. Anyway, I did some reading on his wiki and found that Mistborn, Stormlight, Elantris, and some other yet to be written books are all telling one large overarching story of the cosmere, and a God that was splintered into shards.

Has anyone else read these? Did you enjoy it as much as I did? I can't wait for the rest of the Stormlight books. I think I'll read Elantris next.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished the first Mistborn book on audio.  I thought it was pretty good.  I also listened to the 2 Stormlight Archive books.  I liked the "magic" system in both.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just finished the first Mistborn book on audio.  I thought it was pretty good.  I also listened to the 2 Stormlight Archive books.  I liked the "magic" system in both.
View Quote

Yeah, the first one is good...but wait till you see how the 3rd one get wrapped up! Then you have to read The Alloy of Law and Secret History to see how it's tied into Stormlight.

I loved the magic system in both as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Checking in.

I just re-read The Stormlight series and saw much that I missed.  I was hoping I would finish it closer to the release of the 3rd book in the series which I think is due in August.

I"m reading a Dan Simmons book that I am borderline tolerating right now.

I"m going to pick up Elantris and others post reading this book.

After reading the Wheel of Time series I had much more respect for how he finished those up.

He's a fantastic writer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Read the two Stormlight Archive books, they were great.  Glad to hear the third will be out soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I also read that there will be another Mistborn trilogy that is set in the far future and is science fiction- sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I really enjoyed Mistborn. I read the trilogy and Alloy of Law but I think there are two more books out now that I haven't gotten to. The Stormlight Archive I loved. Really cool stories. I am looking forward to the next one. Sanderson is a really good writer IMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Read the two Stormlight Archive books, they were great.  Glad to hear the third will be out soon.
View Quote

The next Stormlight Archive book first draft is 61% done.  

http://brandonsanderson.com/

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy but I just can't get into The Alloy of Law.  I'm about halfway through and put it down last week.  Picked back up on the Wheel of Time series book 9 which I put down maybe 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy but I just can't get into The Alloy of Law.  I'm about halfway through and put it down last week.  Picked back up on the Wheel of Time series book 9 which I put down maybe 6 months ago.
View Quote

It helps paint the picture of the larger story...I'd keep reading, it gets better. Then read Mistborn Secret Histories.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I've read the Mistborn trilogy and enjoyed the hell out of it. I read Alloy of Law but not the next 2.

I have not read Storm light Archives but I am thinking about it.

I have read Warbreaker and LOVED it. I think it was the different magic system and the different heights with different enhanced abilities.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94

71% now.  73%  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I loved Mistborn but felt the second three books--the alloy of law trilogy--basically sucked.

The Way of Kings was awesome, but Words of Radiance was just not as engaging to me.

I liked Warbreaker quite a bit--my favorite of Sanderson's early works.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I loved Mistborn but felt the second three books--the alloy of law trilogy--basically sucked.

The Way of Kings was awesome, but Words of Radiance was just not as engaging to me.

View Quote

I had the same experience.  I really enjoyed Mistborn but couldn't get into the first Alloy of Law.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had the same experience.  I really enjoyed Mistborn but couldn't get into the first Alloy of Law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get better. I also preferred Mistborn, but the whole story is tied together later. I would keep reading IMO.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, you need to get over to /r/stormlight.  All of Sanderson's books (outside the WoT books he finished for Jordan) all occur in the same universe, the Cosmere.  There are easter eggs and puzzles all throughout them if you know the bigger picture, and the reddit page is the center of discussion about it.

His writing is a bit juvenile for my tastes, but not so much that I won't read them...they're very entertaining, and the whole Cosmere thing is intriguing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

71% now.  73%  

Vulcan94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94

71% now.  73%  

Vulcan94

78% as of today.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]

The first draft is up to 90% now!!!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The first draft is up to 90% now!!!

Vulcan94
View Quote

95% as of today.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I read the Stormlight books after reading Sanderson's conclusion to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. (Both series are phenomenal) can't wait for the next Stormlight!

Didn't know about the Mistborn being tied in, will have to check those out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I read the Stormlight books after reading Sanderson's conclusion to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. (Both series are phenomenal) can't wait for the next Stormlight!

Didn't know about the Mistborn being tied in, will have to check those out.
View Quote

It's all his books, they're all linked.  Except the WoT books, that is.

Some of the single novels are the best ones.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up the new short story compilation, there's a few new ones in there. Once I finish re-reading Hyperion I'll start into it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I fell in love with Brandon Sanderson's writing while reading The Reckoners Trilogy. The Mistborn Trilogy has been on my TBR for awhile though, I need to get to it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell yeah! I can't wait for the next Stormlight book. Mistborn was kickass as well.
If you are looking for something to tide you over, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

If you really have some free time on your hands, read the Wheel of Time series mentioned earlier, or the Book of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. The former gets a little bit tedious in the middle four books or so, and the latter took me a book or two to fall in love with, but both are excellent reads in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hell yeah! I can't wait for the next Stormlight book. Mistborn was kickass as well.
If you are looking for something to tide you over, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

If you really have some free time on your hands, read the Wheel of Time series mentioned earlier, or the Book of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. The former gets a little bit tedious in the middle four books or so, and the latter took me a book or two to fall in love with, but both are excellent reads in the long run.
View Quote

Loved Kingkiller Chronicles but beware if you read to first two books you will join a LONG line of people who want to dickpunch Patrick "finish the motherfucking last book already" Rothfuss.
He is really dragging it out.

Also really liked the Malazan books by Steven Erikson but several books in it seems to have just gone off the reservation. I got lost and never went back to figure out where. I just stopped reading. I guess I should revisit it since I've read over a dozen books since then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Loved Kingkiller Chronicles but beware if you read to first two books you will join a LONG line of people who want to dickpunch Patrick "finish the motherfucking last book already" Rothfuss.

Also really liked the Malazan books by Steven Erikson but several books in it seems to have just gone off the reservation. I got lost and never went back to figure out where. I just stopped reading. I guess I should revisit it since I've read over a dozen books since then.
View Quote

lol, yup.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
All are great books. I love a new spin on "magic".
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rothfuss is the biggest cock tease ever. He should keep his fucking books to himself until the story is complete.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, you need to get over to /r/stormlight.  All of Sanderson's books (outside the WoT books he finished for Jordan) all occur in the same universe, the Cosmere.  There are easter eggs and puzzles all throughout them if you know the bigger picture, and the reddit page is the center of discussion about it.

His writing is a bit juvenile for my tastes, but not so much that I won't read them...they're very entertaining, and the whole Cosmere thing is intriguing.
View Quote

Read the first one. Love it. But there are supposed to be ten books in this series. So fuck that. In 15 years I'll buy the set and read them all.

Only 3 books were left when I started WoT and waiting for those was bad enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Rothfuss is the biggest cock tease ever. He should keep his fucking books to himself until the story is complete.
View Quote

Is he even actively working on Doors of Stone anymore? From what I heard a few years back he just gets mad when anybody asks and feels like people aren't reading his kids books enough. Kinda given up on it at this point.

And Stormlight / Mistborn is awesome. One more book in the Wax and Wane series and then there's a contemporary and scifi trilogy set in the same universe. Excited to see how that plays out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Oathbringer (Stormlight 3) third draft has progressed from 93% to 100%, Release date November 14, 2017

I also found this on Brandon Sanderson's site:
I have some great news for all the US and Canada readers: in preparation for the Oathbringer release later this year, Tor.com is offering a free download of the ebook edition of The Way of Kings, the first volume of the Stormlight Archive, today and tomorrow (March 23rd and 24th, 2017). You can see all the details here:
View Quote
 Click here.

Already got my free copy.

Vulcan94
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top