Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 9:04:32 AM EDT
For years I have known the name von Senger und Etterlin.  After all, he wrote the book, GermanTanks of World War II: The Complete Illustrated History of German Armoured Fighting Vehicles 1926-1945, which in the sixties was the then definitive book on the subject.  Many, many decades later I learned who he was and his role in World War II.  An infantry officer during WW I, he was a cavalry officer during the Weimar Republic and joined Rommel's 7th Panzer Division in the dash across France to Cherbourg. Being Catholic,  von Senger und Etterlin was never a Nazi and commanded the 17th Panzer Division of the Fourth Panzer Army in its futile attempt to relieve the trapped Sixth Army in Stalingrad.  He later commanded in Sicily when the Allies landed there and then supervised the evacuation of Sardinia.  He led the corps that held Mt. Cassino and was awarded the Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross for it.  

He was aware of the plot to assassinate Hitler, but did not join it.  He was also on the suspicious persons list especially after he took action on some suspected persons in Bologna (he deported them out of the city instead of waiting for the SD to grab them.  The SD was not happy).

He surrendered to Allied forces in Italy where he was shuffled around from camp to camp and finally to England where he was discharged and allowed to return to Germany.  Post war he penned his memoirs, Kreig in Europa (translated as Neither Fear Nor Hope) of the war and offered this interesting insight into Germany.  The bolded part is my emphasis:

Hitler's successes seemed to speak in his favour.  Evidently he had solved themost pressing European problem - unemployment. He built magnificient roads and revived the economy by starting an armaments industry, the construction of barracks and conscription.  Nobody explained to the people that most of this programmed involved unproductive labour whose output would not contribute to the wealth of the country since none of it could be exported.  Yet the economy could only survive if there were an exchange of exports and imports. Ostensibly the state's purchasing power increased, for it printed money that could be spent.  This created a new class of consumers and gave the internal economy a lift.  But what would happen once the roads, the schools and the sports stadiums had been bult and the Army equipped with the latest weapons?  If Hitler had not from the outset been aware of the deceptiveness of his economic policy, he certainly became so in the course of time.  Six months before the war started he addressed the Army leaders in the Kroll Opera House, explaining tha a people without space - meaning with insufficient means of sustenance - must conquer fresh territory and new markets, neither of which could be attained by peaceful means.
View Quote

It makes me think of Dear Leader's stimulus program which produced nothing exportable (except stealth technology).  Both solar industries that received government loans failed.  The loans to GM went to building factories (or a factory) in China.  I saw old, working concrete handicap ramps on sidewalks torn up and replaced with new, yellow and black plastic ramps (yay political pay offs).  We got more free trade which means the exportation of middle class production jobs.  Now we're being saddled with TPP and TIPP, both which impose a foreign court over our own (meaning we lose say in what happens here).
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
"War is the continuation of politics..." (which is the continuation of economy) "...by other means".
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top