Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 12/6/2015 2:32:55 AM EDT
Just started reading Pressfield's "Gates of Fire". Freaking amazing. I didn't think I had much emotion left in me, but goddamn, this book really put me on an emotional rollercoaster. I haven't even finished it, and I already ordered Tides of War.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Gates of Fire is his best and every citizen should read it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Agreed, Pressfield is incredible.  Killing Rommel is unbelievable, too, and his two Alexander books, The Virtues of War and The Afghan Campaign, were nearly as good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Gates of Fire was an amazing read
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Gates of Fire is great. I remember reading about it in the aftermath of the hype for 300 and picked it up.

I'm not familiar with Tides of War. Is it a follow-up?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gates of Fire is great. I remember reading about it in the aftermath of the hype for 300 and picked it up.
I'm not familiar with Tides of War. Is it a follow-up?
View Quote

Sort of.  It's set in the same time period, but follows the story of Alcibiades, a legendary Greek general who repeatedly switched sides in the ongoing wars between Athens and Sparta.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Gates of Fire was amazing. Blew me away
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I just pull them both off Ebay, should be here anyday...looking forward to them
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just pull them both off Ebay, should be here anyday...looking forward to them
View Quote

Definitely let us know if you enjoyed them.

Tides of War starts off a bit slower than Gates of Fire, but the story's characters and places of setting are so vast imo.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top