Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 11/30/2015 1:45:47 AM EDT
Just picked the book up at walmart for $10.

I'm not far in to it, but It's great. Lays out a quick history of how that shithole came to be, and the events that led up to well... you know

It's the book the movie is based off of from what I understand?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Great book. I read it a few months ago.

During the onset of the Benghazi clusterfuck, I couldnt help but recall the sentiments of a Marine reconnaissance man which were expressed to author Evan Wright in the book "Generation Kill": those who can't kill will always be subject to those who can.

Basically, the only reason why the Benghazi CIA GRS personnel even saved the lives of the DSS agents and unarmed TCN security guards at the diplomatic compound was a result of taking initiative and being armed. Bob, the CIA Annex station chief, was powerless to 1) stop the CIA GRS team from assaulting the dip. compound, and later 2) resist the orders of the GRS staff from boarding the evac plane because armed dudes aren't weren't taking no for an answer. This book did an outstanding job of cementing the morality of modern warriors, that is trusting your instinct

But yeah, to answer your question, Michael Bay (yuck) directed the movie which is largely based off this book.

p.s. a Big FUCK YOU to the "Americans" who entrusted QRF capabilities to proven unreliable locals, who ignored additional security requests from Amb. Stevens himself, who grossly misused ISR assets (a fucking Call of Duty playing kid couldve manned the overhead MQ-1 Predator and glassed targets for the GRS/DSS Annex defenders BEFORE those mortars cooked off), who repeatedly told Bob to have his team stand down, and in general responsible for that clusterfuck..
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great book. I read it a few months ago.

During the onset of the Benghazi clusterfuck, I couldnt help but recall the sentiments of a Marine reconnaissance man which were expressed to author Evan Wright in the book "Generation Kill": those who can't kill will always be subject to those who can.

Basically, the only reason why the Benghazi CIA GRS personnel even saved the lives of the DSS agents and unarmed TCN security guards at the diplomatic compound was a result of taking initiative and being armed. Bob, the CIA Annex station chief, was powerless to 1) stop the CIA GRS team from assaulting the dip. compound, and later 2) resist the orders of the GRS staff from boarding the evac plane because armed dudes aren't weren't taking no for an answer. This book did an outstanding job of cementing the morality of modern warriors, that is trusting your instinct

But yeah, to answer your question, Michael Bay (yuck) directed the movie which is largely based off this book.

p.s. a Big FUCK YOU to the "Americans" who entrusted QRF capabilities to proven unreliable locals, who ignored additional security requests from Amb. Stevens himself, who grossly misused ISR assets (a fucking Call of Duty playing kid couldve manned the overhead MQ-1 Predator and glassed targets for the GRS/DSS Annex defenders BEFORE those mortars cooked off), who repeatedly told Bob to have his team stand down, and in general responsible for that clusterfuck..
View Quote

Good post , sir
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I read it just last week.  
Those GRS operators... what balls.  Lacking solid information, and with basically zero support... they went ahead and did it anyway.  
God bless them.

I have to ditto the FUCK YOU to whoever trusted the lives of Americans to an indigenous gang of thugs with unknown loyalties
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up the book right before Christmas at Costco. I can't wait to dive into it. It has been on my radar for a while now. I hope to start it in a few weeks. I do want to see the movie but would like tow ait until I have read the book. I like facts before Hollywood spin is put into it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Wont see it till the book gets here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
amazon has shipped it and i wiil have it soon.. i heard it was good
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Good book.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
About halfway through. Good read so far. An aside, every time I come across the acronym AFRICOM, I see ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Great book, but haven't seen the movie yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished it on Tuesday. I never was much of a reader but this book had me from the start. I never knew what I really liked to read but this book gave a good start in the right direction as to what I will enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Saw the movie. Adding the book to the reading list.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top