User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Next Prince Roger book is in David Weber's hands for further work.  Last I knew he was working on the next Troy Rising/Maple Syrup Wars book.  Council Wars didn't sell very well, so he was encouraged/advised to move on to other series, he has mentioned wanting to revisit it at some point (it was actually the first universe he wrote in, but he won't let anybody see the first book he wrote, although his wife told me she found a copy in his stuff).  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Ringo's first entry into the MHI universe, "Grunge", was just released as an eARC (unedited advance copy) over at Baen.com.

"I got it! Yeah, baby, I got it!"

No spoilers. But I loved Chad's voice.

(Correia and Ringo? Oh, yeah!) And now that he's got this out of his system, maybe we'll get some Aldenata. Or Council Wars. Or Prince Roger. Or...

Next Prince Roger book is in David Weber's hands for further work.  Last I knew he was working on the next Troy Rising/Maple Syrup Wars book.  Council Wars didn't sell very well, so he was encouraged/advised to move on to other series, he has mentioned wanting to revisit it at some point (it was actually the first universe he wrote in, but he won't let anybody see the first book he wrote, although his wife told me she found a copy in his stuff).  

Given that would have been around the same time as he was starting the Paladin of Shadows, and some of the elements that were in the first couple of Council Wars, I can guess why he didn't publish it.  My understanding is that Ghost was supposed to be buried in a drawer as well, so "The Silmarillion meets The Story of O" might have been a bridge too far.

Which is EXACTLY why his wife should slip that thing over the transom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Given that would have been around the same time as he was starting the Paladin of Shadows, and some of the elements that were in the first couple of Council Wars, I can guess why he didn't publish it.  My understanding is that Ghost was supposed to be buried in a drawer as well, so "The Silmarillion meets The Story of O" might have been a bridge too far.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Ringo's first entry into the MHI universe, "Grunge", was just released as an eARC (unedited advance copy) over at Baen.com.

(Correia and Ringo? Oh, yeah!) And now that he's got this out of his system, maybe we'll get some Aldenata. Or Council Wars. Or Prince Roger. Or...

No, this is the book he wrote before he ever tried to submit to a publisher, it actually sets a lot of the background for the Council Wars series, but he says the writing was so horrible, he'll never let anyone see it :-)

_Ghost_ he originally intended to bury, then after fans demanded more than the initial snippet he posted, he was going to publish under a pseudonym with another publisher, then Jim Baen heard about it and insisted on seeing it...  And John didn't know what the representatives for some of the major book sellers/distributors had been encouraging Jim to have John branch out more...

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, this is the book he wrote before he ever tried to submit to a publisher, it actually sets a lot of the background for the Council Wars series, but he says the writing was so horrible, he'll never let anyone see it :-)

_Ghost_ he originally intended to bury, then after fans demanded more than the initial snippet he posted, he was going to publish under a pseudonym with another publisher, then Jim Baen heard about it and insisted on seeing it...  And John didn't know what the representatives for some of the major book sellers/distributors had been encouraging Jim to have John branch out more...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that far back?  Yeah, I can see him wanting to keep that back.  There's a *reason* Heinlein never published "For Us, The Living".   I've read about the genesis of "Ghost", but I didn't know Jim Baen was getting external encouragement as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Toni Weisskopf to keep doing good work.  So far I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
First heard about him here at ARF. Local library didn't have any of his stuff so I picked up the first book of MHI at the bookstore- loved it so I bought the rest of the series the last time I was at the bookstore. I'll be ordering the Grimnoir series either today or tomorrow. You guys also got me to check out John Ringo- I picked up Von Neuman's War so now I'll have to get more of his stuff too. You guys are costing me too much money!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First heard about him here at ARF. Local library didn't have any of his stuff so I picked up the first book of MHI at the bookstore- loved it so I bought the rest of the series the last time I was at the bookstore. I'll be ordering the Grimnoir series either today or tomorrow. You guys also got me to check out John Ringo- I picked up Von Neuman's War so now I'll have to get more of his stuff too. You guys are costing me too much money!
View Quote

Make sure you check out the Baen Free Library and The Fifth Imperium first.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top