Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 1:43:43 AM EDT
After going threw my new attic I have an almost complete set minus one book of encyclopaedia briticana 200th anniversary edition (copywrited 1969) and A bunch of Books of the year from the 1970's. Should I take them to the dump or would they probably be worth a couple bucks? No one I know wants them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After going threw my new attic I have an almost complete set minus one book of encyclopaedia briticana 200th anniversary edition (copywrited 1969) and A bunch of Books of the year from the 1970's. Should I take them to the dump or would they probably be worth a couple bucks? No one I know wants them.
View Quote

Donate them to the Salvation Army. Someone wants the clutter
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Always donate books. Even if you don't know why someone might want them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
they make great backstops   to test ammo
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You have a virtual time capsule in your hands.

And, it being the 200th anniversary, makes it even more appealing.

Why get rid of them?

The yearbooks?  Yeah, why not.

But the actual set?  A goldmine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Mom acquired a set of encyclopedias published in the 1930's. It's amazing to open one up and read what was important back then, versus now. Not one entry on the internet, cell phones, or (gasp) going to the Moon!

I vote "keep". Because sometimes we need a benchmark in the past to tell us just how far we've come.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
$10 an entire set at about 25% of estate sales. [not 200th but complete editions]

No one will ever use them and they'll just mildew away.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not browse through them. Who knows you might learn something. Even better have your kids (if there's any) read them. Not this revisionist snowflake crap that passes for history, in schools.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Encyclopedia will be useful when the 'net switch is thrown and we're all offline.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Encyclopedia will be useful when the 'net switch is thrown and we're all offline.
View Quote

The only problem with that is. How many kids actually know how to read, competently ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
where in Ohio.  My kids would enjoy them.

thanks, 18B30

[email protected]
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top