Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 10/16/2015 11:57:09 PM EDT
I have always avoided books written by women. Too sappy. I did read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry recently and it was really good.

Any good fiction by women authors?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Certain genres are dominated by authors of one gender or the other. If the genre(s) you prefer are one that is dominated by men you probably would read mostly male authors.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can tell the gender of the author just by the words on the page, the FBI would like to hire you. No doubt you have other psychic talents that would aid in crime solving.

I want a good story. I want to be engaged, I want to feel the action, I want a satisfying resolution, I want believable characters and I want to enjoy myself. Doesn't matter if the author stands or squats, is green blue red or any variation thereof. Make me want to live there (or run from there) and I'll keep buying until a) they quit writing, or b) their off-screen antics force me to quit giving money to the enemy, or c) they change their focus and starting writing crap I don't want to read.

Sci Fi: Lois McMaster Bujold writes some space opera that just bowls me over. Been doing it 30 years now, more or less.
C J Cherryh does some amazing stuff in her Union vs Alliance world.
Andre Norton was published as a man, because 'women can't write sf'. Bull crap. Yes its been 50 years, but her stories were groundbreaking at the time.

Don't let your perception of plumbing arrangements deprive you of good stories. That's just silly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can tell the gender of the author just by the words on the page, the FBI would like to hire you. No doubt you have other psychic talents that would aid in crime solving.

I want a good story. I want to be engaged, I want to feel the action, I want a satisfying resolution, I want believable characters and I want to enjoy myself. Doesn't matter if the author stands or squats, is green blue red or any variation thereof. Make me want to live there (or run from there) and I'll keep buying until a) they quit writing, or b) their off-screen antics force me to quit giving money to the enemy, or c) they change their focus and starting writing crap I don't want to read.

Sci Fi: Lois McMaster Bujold writes some space opera that just bowls me over. Been doing it 30 years now, more or less.
Andre Norton was published as a man, because 'women can't write sf'. Bull crap. Yes its been 50 years, but her stories were groundbreaking at the time.

Don't let your perception of plumbing arrangements deprive you of good stories. That's just silly.
View Quote

I used to read all the EU Star Wars books, and AC Crispin had some good ones. But the genres I'm interested in don't have a lot of women writers, so I really don't care either way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I used to read all the EU Star Wars books, and AC Crispin had some good ones. But the genres I'm interested in don't have a lot of women writers, so I really don't care either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much this.  I just looked through about 200 of my books and I didn't find any fiction by Women.  This was not by design, I generally buy books from by new authors based on recommendations for the book.  I'm thinking there are just not a lot of women that write fiction about the military, shooting monsters in the face, survival, ect...    All the non fiction I have that was written by women is great.  Mary Roach would be one example.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Rachel Aukes has some good zombie books.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rachel Aukes has some good zombie books.
View Quote
Anything in particular you recommend?

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Bujold. Especially the Vorkosigan series.

Cecelia Holland for serious historical fiction(I.E., non-bodice rippers)

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Try  "Mistress of the Art of Death"  by Ariana Franklin   A great mystery novel IMHO

Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Deadland Saga. I am going to try her Colliding Worlds series, at least the first book.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Robin Hobb, if you like fantasy. The Assassin's Apprentice books are really good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Lucinda Frank's My Father's Secret War.  Nonfiction book about a daughter's investigation into her father's activity in the NIS (Naval Intelligence Service) during WW II.  Fluent in technical German, he was sent behind the German lines several times. In one mission, he was caught breaking into a safe and he killed the German who caught him.  In another he killed an American double agent who also worked for Stalin.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top