Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2015 11:50:58 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some good western's. What would you guys recommend?

I was watching the movie Silverardo and thinking that I would like to read some western's of this nature. I think Lonesome Dove is also a long running book series but not sure. Anyone read them?

I'm open to reading just about anything. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read Lonesome Dove when I was younger and enjoyed it.  I also remember reading a lot of Louis L'Amour.
View Quote

Thanks you! I will add his name to my list. I think I have heard the name before but not sure what or where I heard it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Lonesome Dove ,Little Big Man and The Big Sky are some of the best .
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Louis L'Amour wrote a boat-load of westerns, and I've read all of them.  I enjoyed them all, though I will admit there's a few I wouldn't re-read.  Start with the Sackett series, those are some of the best.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
       Gone to Texas.

The Outlaw Josey Wales was based on this.

My favorite stand alone novel by L'amour is The Empty Land.

A violent, bleak tale about a mining camp. If you like the Deadwood series you'll like this.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
       Gone to Texas.

A violent, bleak tale about a mining camp. If you like the Deadwood series you'll like this.

View Quote

I really loved the Deadwood series and miss it a lot. I will look into that book.

I believe I read The Outlaw Josey Wales . . . yeah I did. I think it had another western book with it if I remember right. I might have to see if I still have it and re-read it.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Loren Estleman's "Bloody Season" is a great novel about Tombstone/OK Corral/Earp etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
J T Edson,
Max Brand,
Zane Grey,
William Johnstone
All stand tall, in the Western Writers field.

C J Box writes contemporary western mysteries.
Craig Johnson writes the Longmire series (3 seasons on Netflix, so far.)

(Louis L'Amour is *THE* western writer. But you'll be hard pressed to find more than 3 of his books where he didn't use the phrase, "slugged it out, toe to toe".)
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
So many posts and not one mention of Cormac's "Blood Meridian"?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/394535.Blood_Meridian_or_the_Evening_Redness_in_the_West
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone! Good list of books and authors. Keep the post coming.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Louis L'Amour wrote a boat-load of westerns, and I've read all of them.  I enjoyed them all, though I will admit there's a few I wouldn't re-read.  Start with the Sackett series, those are some of the best.
View Quote

Hard to go wrong with this.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Cormac Mccarthy, "Blood Meridian"  and "The Border Trilogy" and everything else he's written.

James Carlos Blake, various

James D Best, various as Deadwood series was referenced here.

Hking

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Loren Estleman's "Bloody Season" is a great novel about Tombstone/OK Corral/Earp etc.
View Quote
Just read this on your reco.

Pretty good exposition of the complicated situation in Cochise county.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would recommend "How the West was Won" and "Comstock Lode"......Louis L'Amour did lots of really good stuff.
My favorites include the above, as well as "The Californios", "Haunted Mesa", "The Lonesome Gods" among others.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
The Cowboy and the Cossack,by Clair Huffacker,one of the best westerns I have ever read.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Lonesome Dove is the greatest western novel. I also recommend anything by Cormac McCarthy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Robert B. Parkers' Gunmans Rhapsody.

Best Wyatt Earp book ever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Cormac Mccarthy, "Blood Meridian"  and "The Border Trilogy" and everything else he's written.
View Quote
I also rec Blood Meridian.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So many posts and not one mention of Cormac's "Blood Meridian"?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/394535.Blood_Meridian_or_the_Evening_Redness_in_the_West
View Quote

For the win!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Woe to Live On is a great book about the War Between the States. The movie "Ride With The Devil" was based on this book.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Woe to Live On is a great book about the War Between the States. The movie "Ride With The Devil" was based on this book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dpuKULBQo

View Quote

I watched that movie not to long ago and really liked it. I will have to look for the book. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I watched that movie not to long ago and really liked it. I will have to look for the book. Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dpuKULBQo

The book is far uglier than the movie.

Woodrell is an interesting author.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
       Gone to Texas.

View Quote

Asa Carter

Interesting reading about the author of "Gone to Texas" and it's movie adaptation.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
His books always leave me feeling a bit queasy.  I almost always wish that I hadn't read them.  "The Road" was a prime example.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Lonesome Dove is the best. There are three others in that series. L'amour is also great...Try Elmer Kelton as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got interested in western fiction today when I saw a whole section of it at Barnes and noble. Haven't read anything yet but it sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Blood Meridian... Read the book and listen to the audio book also.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Another one for Blood Meridian, I may re read it.

The Sisters Brothers is another good one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Just about anything by L'Amour especially the Sackett series.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]
The Berrybender Narratives are some other excellent westerns by Larry McMurtry. There are 4 books in the series with some good humor and real people tied in to the fiction.

Start with Sin Killer and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I have put some of these books on a Christmas list. I sure hope to get a few of them and then buy the others. Great list of books you guys have posted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#33]
While not a western, The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour is a great story, though it takes place in medieval Europe, not the Wild West.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
While not a western, The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour is a great story, though it takes place in medieval Europe, not the Wild West.
View Quote

He wrote an autobiography,
Education of a Wandering Man Paperback – November 1, 1990
You can pick it up through Amazon...........his life is actually as interesting or more interesting than most of his novels.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an old paperback copy that my uncle gave me.

That book would be in my top 5.  I re-read it at least once a year.  You can get through it in about 2 hours.  Great for cold winter night.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I finished this book, I immediately wanted to go back to page 1 and start over.  It was that good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#37]
+1 on Louis L'Amour's good ones.  His good books are really, really good.  
However, there are a very few books that he obviously just rushed out, very much cookie-cutter stamped and with continuity errors that can mess up the story if you're actually paying attention.

Saw Loren Estleman and Elmer Kelton mentioned.  They're on my shelf and for the most part, I like Westerns by these guys.  

I know he's kind of cliché, but I really do enjoy a few of the old Zane Grey books and just a couple of days ago I was snooping around at one of the free E-book sites and saw The Lone Star Ranger was available free.  Not to mention most of the stuff he wrote set back when the western frontier was Ohio (Betty Zane, The Last Trail, etc.).

Someone that I didn't see on a quick skim of the recommendations is Bruce Thorstad.  Has several westerns out, although I think they haven't seen a reprint in some years.  Good job on getting the guns right, which makes sense; the guy was into cowboy action shooting back in its early days and even has an EoT championship from 'way back then to his credit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Dead Mans Walk by Larry McMurtry
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo.
(These are the Lonesome Dove series)
The Shootist
The Homesman

Dances With Wolves and its sequel The Holy Road by Michael Blake
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Epitaph by Mary Russell.

Novel about the events leading up to and after the OK corral.

Heavily researched and told from multiple viewpoints.

Does a good job of illustrating the tangle of loyalties, criminality, politics and personalities that caused the violent fight.

Worth checking out for the preface alone, which is the preview on Amazon.

1.99 on Kindle.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
True Grit.  

An amazing book.  Reading it made me appreciate the later movie over the earlier.  If any of you have daughters, I'd encourage you to have them at least try this book out.  The young girl main character is a total hardass, and the ending shown in the later film really captures this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Ralph Compton had a lot of nice books. I have all of L amours books. read them several times

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/ralph-compton/

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Compton's best series is the gunfighter Nathan Stone books.  

Ralph Cotton has a lot of great western books.  The Arizona Territory Ranger Burrack series is my favorite.

W.W. Johnstone's the Last Mountain Man series, about Smoke Jensen a gunfighter is good, he is one ruthless dude when he is crossed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Louis L'amour.

His books just aren't westerns, they are a philosophy on how a man should think and live.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Appaloosa, by Robert Parker.

Well told, harsh tale about 2 very tough "Town Tamers"

The movie was excellent.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#45]
"The Wonderful Country"  by noted Texas artist Tom Lea.  

Published in 1952 and set in old west El Paso and Old Mexico.  Just finished it last night, I'd highly recommend for Western fans.

Hking
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Just read one by Peter Grant, titled Brings the Lightning.  Pretty good.  Not the very best thing I've ever read, but still, a good solid story and not full of obvious BS like so much in the genre.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Besides the Sackett's, here are a few titles that Louis L'Amour wrote that stick out in my mind.  I plan to read back through his novels one day, but there are too many books I haven't read to go back and read ones I have.

Hondo
To Tame a Land
The First Fast Draw
Hanging Woman Creek
Matagorda
Conagher
The Ferguson Rifle
The Quick and the Dead
Borden Chantry
Bendigo Shafter
The Iron Marshal
Comstock Lode
Milo Talon
The Shadow Riders
The Lonesome Gods
Passin' Through

A word about the Sackett series:  Read them in the order on Wikipedia. NOT the order in the front of the newer issues of the books.  They're only loosely tied together, but to get the full effect you need to read them in the right order.  I've never seen anybody mention this and I think its important.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything written by Elmer Kelton is pretty much a sure thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Louis L'Amour heavily researched all of his books. If he says there is a water hole at such and such place in some obscure Texas county, that water hole is there.  The Sackett's is an awesome place to start. There is a nice complete set of this series out there. May be a bit pricey these days but hit up the used books stores and you may find a copy of them there. Worth the effort if you can find them. They must be read in order to completely understand the story, though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lonesome Dove is the best. There are three others in that series. L'amour is also great...Try Elmer Kelton as well.
View Quote

Elmer Kelton writes VERY authentic westerns.  He pegs characters soooooooo well.  He's one of my favorite Western Genre authors.  His early stuff is more like Lois L'Amour but his later stuff is outstanding.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top