Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:08:03 AM EDT
Anybody here think Stephen Hunter should retire BLS? Just finished Snipers Honor. Story seemed tired. That's All.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The movie was fantasyland!  I've seen a few, 'wooden' performances in my time; but Marky Mark pretending to know what he's doing with a gun in his hands would have been laughable if it weren't so sad.  He actually seemed befuddled whenever he tried to talk ballistics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
There's still a lot to be mined from a younger Bob Lee.
There's his first two tours in Vietnam, one with SOG.
There's also his "lost decade" when the bottle took him.

There's been mention of Bob Lee's grandfather, a man described as a near monster???

Earl is pretty well time limited.  There's only so much time between his leaving the Corps at the end of WWII and getting killed in the corn field.
However, there is WWII and some good stories there.

Bob Lee is just too old to go on much longer and his son is sort of a failed story line to me.

I can proudly state that I never watched the movie.
When I saw that Danny Glover was in it, that was it for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's been mention of Bob Lee's grandfather, a man described as a near monster???

Earl is pretty well time limited.  There's only so much time between his leaving the Corps at the end of WWII and getting killed in the corn field.

Bob Lee is just too old to go on much longer and his son is sort of a failed story line to me.

View Quote

I don't remember mention of SOG. Bob Lee Swager was a Marine sniper in Vietnam. I don't remember Marines falling under SOG. I thought only Army was. What book was it mentioned in?

I think there is a lot that Hunter could write about with Bob Lee Swager being in Vietnam and the years before and after. Also his father Earl I agree could be some good story line's with him being WWII and just a few years after. The grandfather might be a good storyline too. I think Hunter may be is rushing his work. The first books were the best.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Bob Lee's serving in SOG was mentioned in several books.

SOG, contrary to popular belief used people from most of the services in one capacity or another.
Many people never knew they were in SOG it was so secret.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bob Lee's serving in SOG was mentioned in several books.

SOG, contrary to popular belief used people from most of the services in one capacity or another.
Many people never knew they were in SOG it was so secret.

View Quote

That is interesting. I have read a lot and didn't know that SOG used everyone. I always wondered why they didn't use other troops.

Man Hunter should explore doing a whole series on Vietnam and bring SOG into it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
SOG used Army Special Forces, LRP-LRRP-Rangers, Navy SEALs, Airforce pilots, Army helicopter pilots, and Marine Force Recon.

Casualties were astronomical, and reportedly EVERYONE who was on the ground and many in the air got Purple Hearts for wounds.
SOG needed a lot of people and got them wherever they could, with the preference being Army SF.

Lots of support people had no idea they were in SOG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SOG used Army Special Forces, LRP-LRRP-Rangers, Navy SEALs, Airforce pilots, Army helicopter pilots, and Marine Force Recon.

Casualties were astronomical, and reportedly EVERYONE who was on the ground and many in the air got Purple Hearts for wounds.
SOG needed a lot of people and got them wherever they could, with the preference being Army SF.

Lots of support people had no idea they were in SOG.
View Quote

Yeah, Stephen Hunter should really dig into Bob's time in Vietnam. I know that if he went back to his style of writing like it was with the first three books those would be great!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The good thing about getting old and your memory not being so sharp anymore is that you can go back and read books you read 10+ years ago and it seems like the first time. -- I've got all of Hunter's books sitting on a shelf to read again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to point out that none of the Swagger books were books about the wars that produced their protagonists, but rather the wars were in there to give some background on why these guys were hardasses and super-capable when it came to martial matters (aside from the opening of that one book, I think it was Time To Hunt?)

But then I realized that straying from the formula might just be what Hunter needs to mix it up and freshen the series.  The opening from Time to Hunt was pretty good, and an entire book of that would be pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking Hunter should write some stand alone stories. Give BLS a rest. The sitting in the rocker with the bad hip, and than called into action is getting stale.
Imho.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was thinking Hunter should write some stand alone stories. Give BLS a rest. The sitting in the rocker with the bad hip, and than called into action is getting stale.
Imho.
View Quote

I agree.  He needs to break out of his formula.  I've enjoyed a fair number of his books, and been less than impressed with a few of them.  What I've noticed is that in the books when he writes about a Swagger, whether it's Bob Lee or Earl, he's essentially writing about the same character, and eventually it gets old.

Personally, one of my favorite books by Hunter is Dirty White Boys, which was a stand alone (more or less, there were some tie-ins with other books).
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The two best things in the movie is the initial scene with Kate Mara.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I was so excited about the "New"(it hadn't come out yet) Bob Lee book "47th samurai".  I read until he got attacked at the house in Japan and couldn't read any more.  I think I had read all of Hunter's books up to that point, and loved them, but something about that one was not right.  I never finished it, and haven't read any of his books since.

And they didn't do a good job on the move "shooter"  it lost something when Bob wasn't an older guy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
:He is getting old.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Paul Chardy and Frenchy Short are both SOG or Phoenix characters in the Bob Lee Swagger universe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I've read every book Stephen Hunter has written.  Of them all, I like Earl Swagger stories the best.  I lost faith in Bob Lee when he became a Samurai Warrior.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Hunter said that he was probably going to put BLS out to pasture,  that he was getting long in the tooth.

I wish he would write about BLS in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hunter said that he was probably going to put BLS out to pasture,  that he was getting long in the tooth.

I wish he would write about BLS in Vietnam.
View Quote

I agree it would be great to have stories of him in Vietnam doing missions and what not. I think there could be at least three if not four books just on that alone. Maybe we should write Hunters publisher and Hunter himself and get the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I think Time to Hunt was really his last great boot, as much as it sucks to admit. The story was brilliant and FINALLY filled in what happened in Vietnam as far as his legendary valley battle. But I also liked the tie in with the Fenns and the peace movement.

I think Hunter is just getting old and trying to continue cranking material out without much concern for the story anymore. I'd have to agree that digging into Bob Lee in Vietnam (show him as the scared FNG turning into a badass sergeant) or even Earl in the Banana Wars or China. He really did do a great job setting up a bunch of possible story lines, but hasn't really followed any of them.

One quirk I've picked up on in his recent books (it's almost one of those things where I read to see if this will finally be another great one) is that he tends to find a term or phrase and latch on like it's going out of style. I, Sniper with the two constantly calling each other "Sniper" and on into other terms in other books.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I think its time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Finally got around to reading it. Pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree.  He needs to break out of his formula.  I've enjoyed a fair number of his books, and been less than impressed with a few of them.  What I've noticed is that in the books when he writes about a Swagger, whether it's Bob Lee or Earl, he's essentially writing about the same character, and eventually it gets old.

Personally, one of my favorite books by Hunter is Dirty White Boys, which was a stand alone (more or less, there were some tie-ins with other books).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imho.

The first of his books I read was in 89 or 90, The day before midnight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I grew up in the '80s.  All the badasses were former Vietnam.  The A-Team.  The Punisher.  Every movie badass.  It was almost as if at the time just saying a guy was in Vietnam was a lot quicker than trying to spend time as an author/screenwriter trying to establish a guy's badass cred elsewhere in the narrative.  

My dad was in Vietnam, and granted he was there a couple of years before the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was signed formally entering the US into the war, but he's old as fuck and on his best day just not falling over is an accomplishment.  It's hard for me to picture the hardasses from Vietnam fucking up anyone anymore other than the occasional verbal assault on a waitress at their favorite coffee hangout.  

I stopped reading Bob Lee books about ten years ago when I could no longer suspend disbelief regarding Swagger's age in comparison with his deeds.  Shame on me for my age discrimination.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I enjoyed The Third Bullet.   I've been a JFK assassination buff for years so maybe I'm biased.

Give us the back story on Earl and Bob Lee in their respective wars. Grand Dad would be....Spanish American war or WWI....cool.

If Hunter wants to branch out, just don't go the route Clive Cussler has taken.  We don't need four different series of characters recycling the same plots your original hero's pulled off 35 years ago set in different periods of time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first of his books I read was in 89 or 90, The day before midnight.

I have never been grabbed by any of the Swagger books except for Point of Impact.  Day Before Midnight was awesome, so tense on the first reading.  I haven't liked any of his other books much, other than the short section in The Master Sniper where the German sniper Repp is "in the zone" for a day's battle in a Soviet city:
Click To View Spoiler
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top