Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/27/2015 9:26:18 AM EDT
A memoir written soon after the war; damn!

You're welcome
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished The Last Panther last night, it was a good read.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So far Tiger Tracks is pretty good!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just finished it. Awesome read.

I wonder what was going thru the minds of those nurses trying to retreat in front of the Russians like that. Must of been terrifying.

Going to start the next book tonite. I read it was published after the authors death.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wonder what was going thru the minds of those nurses trying to retreat in front of the Russians like that. Must of been terrifying.

Going to start the next book tonite. I read it was published after the authors death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I have read they were written soon after the war but all who reviewed them then were horrified of the brutal honesty. It follows closely to other accounts I have read; Hans Von Luck wrote about Kessel von Halb in his book "Panzer Commander", he surrendered to the Soviets and spent 5 years in a gulag.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From what I have read they were written soon after the war but all who reviewed them then were horrified of the brutal honesty. It follows closely to other accounts I have read; Hans Von Luck wrote about Kessel von Halb in his book "Panzer Commander", he surrendered to the Soviets and spent 5 years in a gulag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Siegfred Knappe, in Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949, also surrendered and Luck was in his gulag for a while. You could feel the fear of the German people through his book.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll start looking for them.

A book that I loved was "The Blond Knight of Germany" which is the biography of Eric Hartman one of the highest kill count pilots from WW2. He fought mainly on the eastern front.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Blond-Knight-Germany-biography/dp/0830681892
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top