BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 7:13:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Just finished The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels by Dan Hampton. I have always been intrigued in SEAD or Suppression of Enemy Aid Defenses, whether it was strafing gun emplacements in WWII or Korea, or Wild Weasel/Iron Hand missions in the modern era.

I have read Hampton's other book, Viper Pilot and enjoyed it. So when I saw Hunter Killers for sale, I bought it.  

It's a mixed bag. I was hoping for a book that detailed the development of SAM counter measures and the tactics, as well as the experiences of the Wild Weasels.

When he discusses the evolution of SEAD and tells the tale of the F-100, F105 and F4 crews, it's a fantastic read.

However, he spends too much time telling the reader about the history of the Viet Nam war, the political side and even dabbles in the peace movement.

I was wanting a book more like his Viper Pilot, a smoothly flowing tale of Wild Weasels over Iraq, but it's disjointed when he deals with the history and political aspect of the war. I found myself skipping over whole chapters that deals with the history of the war and the politics of it.

2 1/2 stars out of 4, only because when he is telling the reader about the tactics, equipment, planes and crews-it's great. When he's not, meh.
View Quote
Exactly. I was disappointed only half the book had anything to do with the Wild Weasel program. I only gave it 2 stars sue to his rehash/political dissertation of the Vietnam war.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top