Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/16/2015 8:46:42 PM EDT
A close friend of mine passed on recently. He was not a religious person and in lieu of scripture readings at his services, he made it known that he would rather have some readings from Hemingway. His wife said he did not elaborate any further.

I am not much of a reader and haven't read anything by Hemingway in probably 20 years. For those who have, do you know of any noteworthy parts of his books/poetry that would be appropriate for this situation? I am at a loss on where to begin and don't have time time to read several books in the meantime.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate seeing this with no responses. Not a Hemingway fan, but here's a place to start. 43 pages of quotes

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1455.Ernest_Hemingway
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I found a passage from his writings, but I could use more suggestions, as there are multiple readers. Looking more for paragraphs vs quotes. Thanks again!!

That night at the hotel, in our room with the long empty hall outside and our shoes outside the door, a thick carpet on the floor of the room, outside the windows the rain falling and in the room light and pleasant and cheerful, then the light out and it exciting with smooth sheets and the bed comfortable, feeling that we had come home, feeling no longer alone, waking in the night to find the other one there, and not gone away; all other things were unreal. We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke so no one was not alone. Often a man wishes to be alone and a girl wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that. We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others. It has only happened to me like that once. I have been alone while I Was with many girls and that is the way you can be most lonely. But we were never lonely and never afraid when we were together. I know that the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started. But with Catherine there was almost no difference in the night except that it was an even better time. If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My most recently read book (finished about a hour ago) is "Havana" by Stephen Hunter.  In the book, Hemingway and Earl Swagger meet at a party in Havana.  Hemingway is a pompous, arrogant jerk who takes a swing at Earl and gets decked by Earl. Nothing religious in the Hunter novel about Hemingway, a few words about a voodoo goddess though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've copied this passage in my book of stuff.......i read it often .....pg249 last paragraph "A Farewell to Arms"
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
man that's a tough one.  one of my favorites of his (which i recently re-read) the old man and the sea is just over a hundred pages in total.  but would folks really wanna sit through that.  
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top