Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 5/30/2015 5:39:36 PM EDT
Just finishing up this one, "Mountain Man," written by Vardis Fisher.  Published  1965.  It is the book that the "Jeremiah Johnson" movie with Robert Redford was based on.  It is a dandy, especially if you are interested in the old west, Lewis & Clark days, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.  Not on audible though. :(
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll check it out.  I was hoping this was a "Mountain Man" by Keith C Blackmore thread.  I highly recommend that as well although the genre is slightly different.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Some say Fisher plagiarized from the book Crow Killer, which is a much better book and taken from eye witness accounts of Johnson and other mountain men.
http://www.amazon.com/Crow-Killer-Liver-Eating-Johnson-Midland/dp/0253203120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441464210&sr=8-1&keywords=crow+killer

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
James Clyman was an interesting man.  

http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Mountain-Man-Clymans-Classics-ebook/dp/B00DUGU7TA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1445222296&sr=1-1&keywords=James+Clyman

The one problem with this book is James Clyman thought that an intelligent man should not spell the same word twice in a row the same way.  It takes a while to catch on to how he spells things.  
It is still a good read.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You may also want to read Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried to read that Vardis Fisher book, couldn't get into it for some reason.  I didn't know it was the "Jeremiah Johnson" movie basis, got that on DVD somewhere.

I just finished "The Revenant" by Michael Punke.  They are making a movie of it though the book is from 2002.  Good read about Hugh Glass, Jim Bridger, et al.

Hking

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top