Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 5/2/2015 8:51:57 PM EDT
I have some old books and wonder what methods exist to preserve them?
(The paper seems somewhat flimsy.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What makes these particular books worth saving to you?
When I was younger I tried to save a lot of older books I had.
Finally realized that most were simply not worth the cost and bother
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Some books are printed on acid paper (think newspaper) and will harden, yellow and crack with age.  Cotton linen fibre paper may not flex, but it holds up and I've several books that are over 150 years old.

Clean hands when handling.  Hot soap and washer.
If you're going to read it, support the ends of the book with sandbags.  That keeps the spine from cracking.
When not reading or using the book, store it flat in an acid free, archival quality book box. Gaps between the box and the book should be filled with acid free tissue paper.  Said box should be kept in a climate control environment that is free from bugs (don't feed the bugs).  

I havel boxes for my more rare and antiquarian books.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Oxygen free (e.g, sealed in xenon, or maybe nitrogen or carbon dioxide) container in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.  Like they have for the U.S.  Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

Best of luck.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top