Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 6:12:50 PM EDT
I LIKE most things Sanderson.

I did not like the first book in this series, STEELHEART.  Well, I just didn't think it was as good as Sanderson's earlier writings.

So, craving some good Sanderson, should I give this one a shot?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought they were sort of odd but enjoyed them none the less.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished reading Firefight a week or so ago. I thought it was a decent read. But then, I liked Steelheart and Mitosis as well.

There's something "juvenile" about the writing style in these books, but having not read anything else by Sanderson, I attributed that to the first-person awkwardness of David Charleston's 18-year-old mind.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just finished reading Firefight a week or so ago. I thought it was a decent read. But then, I liked Steelheart and Mitosis as well.

There's something "juvenile" about the writing style in these books, but having not read anything else by Sanderson, I attributed that to the first-person awkwardness of David Charleston's 18-year-old mind.
View Quote

They are juveniles in the tradition of Heinlein. I liked the series, but it is bubblegum. The reading equivalent of a popcorn movie.

Read The Stormlight Archive or Mistborn for a good dose of real Sanderson. Excellent reads.

Patrick Rothfuss is very similar, maybe better. Try "The Name of the Wind". Great stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
"the name of the wind"  was good, but seemed like the second book didn't get as good of reviews.

Mistborn is a classic.

Stormlight I loved the first book but the second book left me wanting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are juveniles in the tradition of Heinlein. I liked the series, but it is bubblegum. The reading equivalent of a popcorn movie.

Read The Stormlight Archive or Mistborn for a good dose of real Sanderson. Excellent reads.

Patrick Rothfuss is very similar, maybe better. Try "The Name of the Wind". Great stuff.
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely give those a try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name of the Wind is great and the second book (A Wise Man's Fear) is equally entertaining.  The second book moves out beyond his time at the University, and the book narrative speeds up a bit to compensate for the larger scope / grander scale of things.  I think the second book is an excellent segue to the third (which should hurry the hell up and get here).
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top