Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 11/22/2014 3:16:15 PM EDT
I am interested in which books have given people wisdom.   Knowledge, or a collection of facts is different than wisdom, and isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for books that contain Solomon like wisdom.   However, I do NOT want religious texts as that usually becomes dogma.   Here are a few examples:

1.  The Worldly Art of Wisdom, by Baltasar Gracian
2.  The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, by Marcus Arelius (of course)
3.  Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi

If you have any really good ones, please add to the list.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Collections of the Rambler, Adventurer, and Idler by Samuel Johnson

Seneca The Younger's essays: De Constantia Sapientes, De Tranquillitate Animi, De Providentia, De Vita Beata

Plutarch's Moralia

Xenophon's Education of Cyrus

Montaigne, Essays

Any of the above are enjoyable and readable over and over.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse.

There's a saying that goes along the lines: Wisdom comes from experience, and experience is a bitch.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read Siddhartha and Seneca, the other suggestions sure have my interest...

Nice to know there are people on this site interested in such things.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top