Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 11/12/2014 4:25:48 PM EDT
Got to the part where he explains in about three short paragraphs about how he started cheating on his dying wife with whom he had 4 children, with an employee, who he knocked up before his wife died. And that his wife found out about it and wrote him a letter that he would not find until after she was dead. I believe that he married the mistress the very next year.

Wow...

And he talked about how having a growing business and the house full of kids was a "stresser" even though he had nannies and her family there so he just didn't get any intimate time to get his rocks off with his cancer riddled wife.

Poor baby..

I guess he figured so many people knew about it that he couldn't get away from including it if he wrote a book.

Was really looking forward to this book, but I put it down for the night and almost threw it away after reading that crap excuse for being a chump. That's some really cold blooded shit. Put your sexual drive ahead of your soon to be dead wife.

Sort of lost any respect for him following that. Anyone else put this book down?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never thought highly enough of him to read it. He's just another Navy Seal that wrote a "Hey, Look at me" book.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good grief.  That sounds awful.  I wont be picking that one up
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't say that will stop me from reading it.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That guy has a boulder
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That guy has a boulder
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy has a boulder

Yeah.  Everyone sins, but not every sin is equal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I wont be casting any stones, just withholding money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

That would be me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got to the part where he explains in about three short paragraphs about how he started cheating on his dying wife with whom he had 4 children, with an employee, who he knocked up before his wife died. And that his wife found out about it and wrote him a letter that he would not find until after she was dead. I believe that he married the mistress the very next year.

Wow...

And he talked about how having a growing business and the house full of kids was a "stresser" even though he had nannies and her family there so he just didn't get any intimate time to get his rocks off with his cancer riddled wife.

Poor baby..

I guess he figured so many people knew about it that he couldn't get away from including it if he wrote a book.

Was really looking forward to this book, but I put it down for the night and almost threw it away after reading that crap excuse for being a chump. That's some really cold blooded shit. Put your sexual drive ahead of your soon to be dead wife.

Sort of lost any respect for him following that. Anyone else put this book down?
View Quote

I don't remember that part at all.....but that wasn't the parts I was interested in so probably just read right over it
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow...

Poor baby..

View Quote

I found this very ironic since is he an unabashed "bible thumper" IMO. The religious theme pops up a lot. His book so whatever.

I do respect him for what he was able to accomplish from a business and political perspective under all the B.S. and hypocrites he had to deal with in and out of government.  Especially for someone who left the Navy as a Lieutenant.  Not a lot of operational time on a Team. He did seem to inherent good business savvy from his Dad.

I met Prince at Shot Show last year where he was signing copies of his book. We're about the same age. There was no one in line at the time when I went up to introduce myself as I knew some people at Annapolis when he was there and some buddies who were at Blackwater when he was in charge. . Didn't make much of a connection on a personal level with him.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never cheated on my wife...where's my fucking stone?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I put the book down after that.  Couldn't read anymore.  Some things just can't be explained away or mitigated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to admit, when I got to that part my stomach sank. I immediately jumped to the scumbag view of him. I was on the fence about putting the book down but agreed I had purchased it for other reasons than learning about his marriage(s) and his dismal mistakes. However, in another form of saying it, Judge not lest ye be judged. People make mistakes. Men own up to those mistakes.

Quoted:

I found this very ironic since is he an unabashed "bible thumper" IMO. The religious theme pops up a lot. His book so whatever.

I do respect him for what he was able to accomplish from a business and political perspective under all the B.S. and hypocrites he had to deal with in and out of government.  Especially for someone who left the Navy as a Lieutenant.  Not a lot of operational time on a Team. He did seem to inherent good business savvy from his Dad.

I met Prince at Shot Show last year where he was signing copies of his book. We're about the same age. There was no one in line at the time when I went up to introduce myself as I knew some people at Annapolis when he was there and some buddies who were at Blackwater when he was in charge. . Didn't make much of a connection on a personal level with him.
View Quote

Catholics aren't "bible thumpers" per se, but I'll save that for another section of GD. The fact of the matter is that he owned up to it. Any other rectification IRT to his mistake is between the man and his God.

That being said I agree with you on the rest. The guy's story had almost a bit of a Bruce Wayne texture to it. Not to mention the asinine investigations Blackwater had been thrust into, very likely do to the astronomical amount of cronyism that permeates our government, and how he still managed to rise above and walk away with his dignity. Impressive to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Which human is without flaw? I'm not going to judge someone I don't even know for not being impervious to mankind's strongest physiological impulse, intimate contact with the opposite sex.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I read the book.  Not too concerned with who he is banging.  Interested in the story of Blackwater, which he delivered quite well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which human is without flaw? I'm not going to judge someone I don't even know for not being impervious to mankind's strongest physiological impulse, intimate contact with the opposite sex.
View Quote

I'm of the same opinion. None of us know what it's like to walk in his shoes. He didn't gamble or snort away his family's rent/food money. Didn't beat his wife. Could be worse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, I remember feeling the same way. I respect him for what he did and enjoyed the book, but when I read that I was like ah what? I can understand the urge and being human, but I couldnt live with myself knowing I did that to a woman who supported me and was struck with cancer. Just couldnt do it. But he did admit it and didnt sugar coat it in my opinion. It was a surprise for sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Evidently there are many people who don't understand what Jesus said, in context.

A woman who was caught in the very act of adultery was taken to Jesus in an attempt to gain advantage over Jesus.  (She was caught IN THE ACT.  They had BOTH the man and the woman involved - but let the man go free.  They didn't care about righteousness - they wanted ammunition against Jesus.)

Jesus' detractors, the religious leaders of His day, said that the law of Moses called for the LITERAL STONING TO DEATH of those who were guilty of adultery.

They thought they had Jesus in a trap.  If Jesus said, "Don't stone her" then they would accuse Jesus of breaking Jewish law.

Conversely, if Jesus had said, "Stone her" then Jesus would have been in trouble with the Romans for breaking their laws.

Instead, Jesus said what He did: "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Of course, none of them were without sin.  They were guilty themselves, and their conscience convicted them.  They all left.

He didn't tell people not to condemn unrighteousness.

So, when one calls another man a jerk for cheating on his dying wife, he isn't "casting stones."
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Cheating is pretty rampant in our society. I have no reason to doubt it is also rampant in the service. IMO, it is a private matter best left to those involved to deal with.

I am not a huge fan of condemning a person or his book because the author was imperfect and had the honesty of character to admit it. He could easily have left it out and made himself into some kind of saint, as most people probably would have done.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
If you were reading his book expecting some sort of righteous Christian warrior for God then I suppose it would bother you; I actually wasn't surprised when I read it.  Maybe too many years in EMS and working overseas have hardened me or maybe just opened my eyes but folks handle stress in different ways and dealing with a loved one dying of cancer is one of the most stressful.  One of the things about working EMS is that you get a much more personal glimpse into people's lives and how they live them.  You see them at their worst sometimes and you see them when their guard is down and I can promise you that most of the people you think you know, often including your own spouse, have secrets.  Take it for what it is, one man's story replete with his faults.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I read the book. Thought it was a well told story. I was surprised that he shared the affair info. That said, the man made no excuses for his behavior and certainly didn't need to share that part of his life.  I think he was just trying to paint the fullest picture possible and convey that he certainly made mistakes and has flaws.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have never thought highly enough of him to read it. He's just another Navy Seal that wrote a "Hey, Look at me" book.
View Quote

How many other Seals started companies like Blackwater?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I know my first thought about what books to read is always: Where does the author shove his dick?

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That guy has a boulder
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy has a boulder

So does everyone else.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top