User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love that series, though the last one a little less.  I think he made a huge mistake making Two-Gun an officer.  The guy should have wound up taking the place of Top.  
Would love to read more, shame Ringo doesn't have any plans to write more in that series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you like John Ringo, read the Looking Glass novels (Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch).

I love that series, though the last one a little less.  I think he made a huge mistake making Two-Gun an officer.  The guy should have wound up taking the place of Top.  
Would love to read more, shame Ringo doesn't have any plans to write more in that series.

Really? I've enjoyed that series.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Christopher Nuttall's Empire's Corps series.  Everything else by Kratman, Ringo, Weber, etc. has already been suggested.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Pretty much every Warhammer 40,000 Horus Heresy book. Fuck it, just read them all. Especially Prospero Burns and A Thousand Sons.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
For some older military sci fi check out Roland Greens Peace Company series.

Peace Company

These Green Foreign Hills

The Mountain Walks
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker

not really a sci-fi story, its a fantasy series but it has a lot of sci-fi elements.  
SPOILERS:    

The main enemy in the story is a race of aliens that emerged from a crashed spaceship and have used genetic engineering to create biological weapons to fight their wars for them.  Additionally, the main character of the series is the culmination of a 2000 year breeding program (much like the bene gesserit's kwisatz haderach from Dune).  In fact the author is heavily influenced by Frank Herbert and Dune fans will see lots of little tributes though the story is very much a unique creation.  

The main setting/background of the story is a holy war to retake holy lands that had been lost to heathens.  In order to accomplish his mission, the protagonist must wrest control of all the varying factions in the holy war by manipulating them into believing he is a prophet and messiah.  His utter ruthlessness, brilliance and guile create one of the most fascinating characters in all literary fiction, IMO.  

Honestly, I think Bakker is a better author than Abercrombie or GRRM, and Im a huge fan of both of those two.  

However, his writing is extremely graphic and not for everyboy.  Seriously, this series can make A Song of Ice and Fire look like a church talent show.  I am not kidding.  A LOOOT of reviewers on amazon can't handle the amount of rape, torture, mutilation, violence in the book. Additionally, many liberals are appalled by the treatment of females in the story, despite it being based in a medieval themed human society...

IF that doesn't turn you off, give it a try.  

here
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Some decent old school.  Try Frederick Pohl.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
And not sci-fi, but worthy of your time, currently Walden, by Thoreau is free for the kindle right now.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't see any Keith Laumer listed.
His Bolo stories are great. Sentient tanks.
Several novels and short story collections by many authors.
The Road to Damascus is pretty much what is happening in America right now with the left.

David Weber's In Fury Born was pretty good.

An alternative is the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. Not future but early in WW2 a destroyer gets transferred to an alternate earth where the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs never hit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
A thread just jogged my memory I suggest The Black Company its really old but REALLY good
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Dietmar Wehr's The Synchronicity War book 1 and 2 are pretty good. Haven't read books 3 or 4 yet of that series. So is Endi Webb's The Terran Gambit, the first book of The Pax Humana Saga series. Haven't read the second book of that series, Chains of Destiny, yet or the third book Into the Void.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dietmar Wehr's The Synchronicity War book 1 and 2 are pretty good. .
View Quote

Really?  I read book one and it sounded more like a military AAR than a novel.  Very flat and dry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dietmar Wehr's The Synchronicity War book 1 and 2 are pretty good. Haven't read books 3 or 4 yet of that series. So is Endi Webb's The Terran Gambit, the first book of The Pax Humana Saga series. Haven't read the second book of that series, Chains of Destiny, yet or the third book Into the Void.
View Quote
I read the entire series from 1st to last and loved it.

Thanks to every one in this thread since I have gotten a bunch of new authors to read that I would probably never have picked up a book from.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Currently reading First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name) by Michael R. Hicks. Its still free for Kindle (at least for now). Has some pretty good space battle scenes as well as some pretty good ground combat scenes. His eBook Empire (Redemption Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name: Redemption series) is also currently free for Kindle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?  I read book one and it sounded more like a military AAR than a novel.  Very flat and dry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone has their own tastes. Picked up the first book of that series for free on Kindle some time back. As free books go I thought it was pretty good all things considered. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Robert Buettner's "War is an Orphanage" series was pretty good.
View Quote

The follow on series (diff publisher, it's with Baen) is pretty good.

Also, the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Zahn is pretty damn good. Pretty much started the SW expanded universe and novels. The X-wing series is damn good reading too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Zahn is pretty damn good. Pretty much started the SW expanded universe and novels. The X-wing series is damn good reading too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are more books after the 3 or 4, I've read?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Same universe, a couple decades or so later.  The first book is Overkill https://www.baenebooks.com/c-114-orphans-legacy-by-robert-buettner.aspx
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. Same universe, a couple decades or so later.  The first book is Overkill https://www.baenebooks.com/c-114-orphans-legacy-by-robert-buettner.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you like John Ringo, read the Looking Glass novels (Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch).

What makes you think he had no plans to write any more in that series?   Believe me,  that's news to him, his coauthor,  and his publisher...  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What makes you think he had no plans to write any more in that series?   Believe me,  that's news to him, his coauthor,  and his publisher...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

I just re-read the Council Wars series. Good stuff - but there's a key that's been in orbit for 9 years, waiting for someone to grab it. What happened to the low power solar collectors? If the power comes back up - will the Nanite-based entities reactivate?

LFD series - it start off being about TV. It ends up being about Dana. Annddd - what's next? Time for another character to step up? And the Ogok don't see the Rangorans policy failure as a chance to go snag a few systems?

March Upcountry series - Roger takes the throne - and .... sits. By now, it's time to wash that thing! More story!

At least OMGZombies finished. Sort of.

Kildar - tiger sucked. Not the Kildar I wanted. Next! (Yes, I know the cover art is out - but where's teh book?!)

Vorbal Blade series - been patiently waiting for the next. For YEARS! Who does he think he is, GRRM?!

Thank goodness I don't let this PATIENTLY WAITING stuff get to me.

(Ok, MHI and Ringo mashup is 'in the works'. Great, I have an E-reader, with space reserved. Make with the type-type already!)

Thanks for the updates. I just had to get this out of my system.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

I just re-read the Council Wars series. Good stuff - but there's a key that's been in orbit for 9 years, waiting for someone to grab it. What happened to the low power solar collectors? If the power comes back up - will the Nanite-based entities reactivate?

LFD series - it start off being about TV. It ends up being about Dana. Annddd - what's next? Time for another character to step up? And the Ogok don't see the Rangorans policy failure as a chance to go snag a few systems?

March Upcountry series - Roger takes the throne - and .... sits. By now, it's time to wash that thing! More story!

Kildar - tiger sucked. Not the Kildar I wanted. Next! (Yes, I know the cover art is out - but where's teh book?!)

Vorbal Blade series - been patiently waiting for the next. For YEARS! Who does he think he is, GRRM?!

(Ok, MHI and Ringo mashup is 'in the works'. Great, I have an E-reader, with space reserved. Make with the type-type already!)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

For those who haven't seen me pay in GD, I'm pretty good friends with Ringo,  usually at his house at least every other week.

John's muse is fickle,  he had to be in the right mood and have a story idea that grabs him in order to write a book,  he usually thinks about a given story for months or even years before he starts actually writing it,  but if he has an idea that motivates him,  he'll write non-stop until the book is done.

Which means he has partial manuscripts or at least plot ideas for just about every incomplete series he has out there,  he recently even started talking about another Council Wars book,  even though he had previously declared that it would be a long time before he revisited that series.

Complete or nearly complete unpublished manuscripts include the next Paladin of Shadows (aka Ghost ) book and three of a planned five Monster Hunter tie-in books (set a decade or two before the books Larry wrote,  they will end with the Christmas Party).
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For those who haven't seen me pay in GD, I'm pretty good friends with Ringo,  usually at his house at least every other week.

John's muse is fickle,  he had to be in the right mood and have a story idea that grabs him in order to write a book,  he usually thinks about a given story for months or even years before he starts actually writing it,  but if he has an idea that motivates him,  he'll write non-stop until the book is done.

Which means he has partial manuscripts or at least plot ideas for just about every incomplete series he has out there,  he recently even started talking about another Council Wars book,  even though he had previously declared that it would be a long time before he revisited that series.

Complete or nearly complete unpublished manuscripts include the next Paladin of Shadows (aka Ghost ) book and three of a planned five Monster Hunter tie-in books (set a decade or two before the books Larry wrote,  they will end with the Christmas Party).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

Will the next book be 'Oh John Ringo No!' worthy?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

Little to no BDSM in this next book, unless it got added by John after the coauthor did the initial draft.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:Little to no BDSM in this next book, unless it got added by John after the coauthor did the initial draft.

View Quote

See! He did it again! He promises us hot kinky boat bunnies (See Ghost, chapter 7) and now, now we get secret agents, blowing stuff up, politics, NO AAR's and just when does Katrina get her Rite?! And just how does the Kildar deal with Putin in Ukraine? Huh? Huh?

Stupid moving goalposts. I'm not ever reading (and re-reading, and re-reading, and re-reading) his stuff again!

Well, maybe.

Except for that MHI thing. And the UPCountry sequel. And...

Ah, crud. Just add me to the Ringo Book-Of-The-Month Club.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ian Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith, Jr. who wrote all the Grey Death Legion books in the Battletech series.  Anything by Keith/Douglas is going to be readable and entertaining.

He also wrote a bunch of books about Navy Seals under the pen names H. Jay Riker and Keith Douglass, haven't read them but they're probably pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any of the series written by Ian Douglas

Ian Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith, Jr. who wrote all the Grey Death Legion books in the Battletech series.  Anything by Keith/Douglas is going to be readable and entertaining.

He also wrote a bunch of books about Navy Seals under the pen names H. Jay Riker and Keith Douglass, haven't read them but they're probably pretty good.

The UDT/Navy Seal series was decent up until the last book, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I like Saberhagen's Berserker series.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#29]
tag for additions to reading list
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I just finished all 5 of the Undying Mercenaries Series by B. V. Larson. I liked it as a good light read. I think some one here suggested it. This thread has gotten me hooked on a bunch of new scifi authors which is good since all my normal ones are getting very old or are dead.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like Saberhagen's Berserker series.
View Quote

So did I.
I miss not getting a new novel every year or so.

I enjoyed This series of books.  The two authors, being former grunts themselves, cooked up a Space Opera of 8 books that I truly enjoy.  It's interesting reading the names of people and places and seeing their 20th Century counterparts.

All Hail the Mantis Section

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure, sure, sure.

Tell him to start thinking about his troy series

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny I just finished the third book of the Troy series yesterday. Lots of sciencey stuff in it for those who like SciFi like that. Not as much detailed space battle stuff as I'd like but enough to make it entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Funny I just finished the third book of the Troy series yesterday. Lots of sciencey stuff in it for those who like SciFi like that. Not as much detailed space battle stuff as I'd like but enough to make it entertaining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he doesn't get off the stick, I know a few spots where a fan-fic would flesh out some of his "oh, this is a cool idea" elements that he forgot about or ignored. I'm just saying....

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I have not read the Sten series from Chris Bunch but I really enjoyed his "Star Risk" series. Too bad he passed away, I enjoyed his writing. I;ll have to pick up the Sten series and start it.

Ever since I got my Kindle I read so much more. It was worth every penny.

I am wondering when there will be another Man-Kzin war book coming out though after the last one "Treasure Planet" I'm ready to chuck it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Sten eries is a great read, I've probably read it 5 or six times. There is a ton of really quite good sci-fi series on the kindle unlimited plan. Some are a little rough on editing, but some really good series that would never be published otherwise. Atlas series was entertaining, privateer tales, I'd check it out if you read a lot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost zero characterization, flavorless dialogue, a preoccupation with overexplaining minutiae, space battles that lacked any kind of feeling, prose that would have been right at home in an appliance manual.  I try not to bash authors, but I was stunned to find that Synchronicity Way 1 had a 4.5 star rating on Amazon out of 1200 reviews.  I guess a lot of people just like stuff that sucks.  (Maybe it changes completely at the halfway mark, which is where I gave up.)
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Almost zero characterization, flavorless dialogue, a preoccupation with overexplaining minutiae, space battles that lacked any kind of feeling, prose that would have been right at home in an appliance manual.  I try not to bash authors, but I was stunned to find that Synchronicity Way 1 had a 4.5 star rating on Amazon out of 1200 reviews.  I guess a lot of people just like stuff that sucks.  (Maybe it changes completely at the halfway mark, which is where I gave up.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't.  I think the market is just hard up for decent mil-sf.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different stokes for different folks. I found the character development and space battles, while not as detailed as works by other writers, were OK in book one considering it was a FREE book (at least at the time I read it). Everyone has their own tastes. I found the entire series (books 2-4) to be pretty good in a light quick reading sort of way.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Deathstalker by Simon green

+ to all the ringo
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#41]
http://www.amazon.com/Redemption-In-Her-Name-Book-ebook/dp/B001A7X0BI/ref=pd_sim_351_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BZPTX0E84ZJZNFRYPXA

Highly recommended.

Michael R Hicks, "In Her Name" series. The link takes you to a trilogy that is $7.99. After that you will finish the rest of the series. It has awesome space battles, land battles, and really well done characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/Redemption-In-Her-Name-Book-ebook/dp/B001A7X0BI/ref=pd_sim_351_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BZPTX0E84ZJZNFRYPXA

Highly recommended.

Michael R Hicks, "In Her Name" series. The link takes you to a trilogy that is $7.99. After that you will finish the rest of the series. It has awesome space battles, land battles, and really well done characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
View Quote

Hicks books First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name) and Empire (Redemption Trilogy, Book 1) are both currently free for Amazon Kindle. Read them both a while ago when they was on Amazon's Top 100 Free ebooks. Found both to be good reads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished up the 4 book series "The Last Legion" by Chris Bunch. I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Legion-Chris-Bunch/dp/184149626X
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I really liked Janissaries. I just hope Jerry will finish the last book in the series while he still can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I really liked Janissaries. I just hope Jerry will finish the last book in the series while he still can.

Quoted:
Jerry Pournelle is always good. He wrote a series called the Janissaries about a group of mercenaries transported from the twentieth century by aliens to a distant planet to control the inhabitants. Good military strategy and good plot twists. Jerry Pournelle is good at the hard core military sci-fi and end of civilization scenarios.

It's been thirty years. I've almost lost hope.
He has been talking about it since at least 2001.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jerry Pournelle is always good. He wrote a series called the Janissaries about a group of mercenaries transported from the twentieth century by aliens to a distant planet to control the inhabitants. Good military strategy and good plot twists. Jerry Pournelle is good at the hard core military sci-fi and end of civilization scenarios.

I just finished this series up and he needs book 4 soon. He says he's writing it on his web site at least.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

His Falkenberg's Legion novels are great too (future/sci-fi mercenary infantry regiment stuff).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Falkenberg's Legion novels are great too (future/sci-fi mercenary infantry regiment stuff).

I have all of them in ebook form. have read most of them multiple times. have also read a bunch of them in paperback form years ago.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I recommend this series by Bill Baldwin
THE HELMSMAN: Director's Cut Edition (The Helmsman Saga Book 1)
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I recommend this series by Bill Baldwin
THE HELMSMAN: Director's Cut Edition (The Helmsman Saga Book 1)
View Quote

Fixed the link for you. I liked it when I read it back then. But it's been a while....
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I enjoyed this relatively short book and all his other work so far, and all are free with kindle unlimited.

Alan Black Steel Walls and Dirt Drops

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Walls-Dirt-Drops-Black/dp/1496028767
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top