Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2014 9:25:04 PM EDT
Something along the lines of Clancy's Red Storm Rising but in space.  

Some of the books I've read:

Starship Troopers
Forever War
Armor
Old Man's War trilogy
Ringos Posleen War series (pure awesomeness)

Thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Tom Kratmans carrera series is good especially if you like ringo

Also if you like ringo and haven't read troy rising you are doing life wrong

I also like Evan currie oddesy one, I made friends with the dude on face book and he killed me in the third book
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell
Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos
Duty, Honor, Planet by Rick Partlow
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Odyssey One series by Evan Currie
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
A Sword Into Darkness by Thomas Mayes.

Or my stuff.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  And Rikwriter, I've read the Duty, Honor, Planet series and it was fantastic.  Now write some more!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hammer's Slammers by David Drake.
The Lensman series by EE "Doc" Smith

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Robert Buettner's "War is an Orphanage" series was pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked W Michael Gear's Forbidden Borders trilogy
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The Honor Harrington series, up to the conclusion of the war.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Starship Troopers
Forever War
Armor
Old Man's War trilogy

View Quote

David Weber / John Ringo
March Up Country (Empire of Man Book 1)

March to the Sea (#2)

March to the Stars (Book 3)

If not already bookmarked

http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx

There you will find  Belisarius Saga by David Drake and Eric Flint. What you cannot download, your local library can get using inter library loan.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Good story, good characters, good action.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Robert Buettner's "War is an Orphanage" series was pretty good.
View Quote

Those are great books.

Midshipman's Hope series is decent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all.  Looks like I have some good reading to do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The StarCraft series was actually really good. I don't know if you're a fan of the video games, but if you enjoyed StarShip Troopers you'd probably enjoy them.

Heavens Devils
Devils Due
Operation Flash Point

All are based in the StarCraft universe.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Any of the series written by Ian Douglas
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any of the series written by Ian Douglas
View Quote

Ian Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith, Jr. who wrote all the Grey Death Legion books in the Battletech series.  Anything by Keith/Douglas is going to be readable and entertaining.

He also wrote a bunch of books about Navy Seals under the pen names H. Jay Riker and Keith Douglass, haven't read them but they're probably pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoyed the Ark Royal series by Christopher Nuttall.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Partlow
View Quote

Ding! Winner! Love that series.

Also, Mike Shepard's "Jump Universe" and "Kris Longknife" series are pretty good. There is an independent author by the name Christopher Nuttal that writes several different Sci-fi series....all them are good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hammer's Slammers by David Drake.
The Lensman series by EE "Doc" Smith

View Quote

+1 for Civilization / Lensman Series
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The Wing Commander series.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Assault Troopers by Vaughn Heppner

It's book 1 of the Extinction Series. Finished it in a couple of days and I've started book 2.

ETA: and it's free if you have kindle unlimited
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]
How has no one submitted Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles yet?!?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How has no one submitted Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles yet?!?
View Quote

Umm...because it's not sci-fi war?  It's alternate history fantasy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Starship Troopers
Forever War
Armor
Old Man's War trilogy

View Quote

Ah, I was wondering what format you were looking for.  Cos if it was books I was going to recommend... the first one on your list actually.  Pretty good philosophy book. (shitty ass movie though, which is what happens when you try to turn philosophy books into action movies)

Never got into the Posleen War series myself - I did try though.  I was more a fan of Ringo's Council War series.  Not sure if he's going to finish it though.
(also the Ghost/Kildar series ... if you don't mind the melding of over-the-top heroics and bondage of the first book... "He collects them like cats!" comes to mind. - fyi the first reply by "anon" was from Ringo himself.)

If you want old-school you might also want to consider Dune.  Tons of politics and strategy there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Enjoyed reading several of the Honor Harrington series by David Webber. On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book 1) is free for the Kindle device/app.

As was mentioned above the Ringo The Legacy of the Aldenata/Posleen War Series is excellent. Only read the first two books (A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front, both currently free for Kindle device/app), plan on reading the rest at some point.

Also read the following ebooks (which were free at one point).
C.R.O.W. (The Union Series Book 1)
LANCEJACK (The Union Series Book 2)

A bunch more I've gotten free at one time or another for the Kindle app. Some were better than others.
Freehold (Freehold Series Book 1)
Peace Warrior (currently free for the Kindle device/app)
FAST: A Military Thriller (The F.A.S.T. Series Book 1)
Star Chase - The Lost Prince
Exodus: Empires at War: Book 1
Dawn of Destiny (Epic Book 1)
Sky Hunter (Targon Tales Book 1) (currently free for the Kindle device/app)
The Fringe Worlds: (The Human Chronicles Saga Book #1)
Duty, Honor, Planet
There Will be Dragons (Council Wars Book 1) (currently free for the Kindle device/app)
Emerald Sea (Council Wars Book 2) (currently free for the Kindle device/app)
AlphaShock
The Synchronicity War Part 1 (currently free for the Kindle device/app)
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Honor Harrington series, up to the conclusion of the war.
View Quote

Agreed.  I thought they were well written for how a space battle would play out.  More like submarines and less like X-wings.

Also, agree with any of the John Ringo.  Empire of Man is probably his most under rates series.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying "The Expanse" series.  I'm stalling on "Cibola Burn" since I'll have a draught between books.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoyed the redemption Trilogy by Mike Smith.  Start with The Last Praetorian.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's book 1 of the Extinction Series. Finished it in a couple of days and I've started book 2.

View Quote

You're not the author by any chance?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]
This will be my first post. Yep, I'm brand new here.
I would like to recommend a couple of old school Scifi books. I read these when I was a kid (long ago!), they were fairly old then. But really holds up good to the high tech world we live in now.  These were written by Tom Godwin. The survivors, and the sequel, Space Barbarians. The first book is a lot better than the second, But after you get into the first, you want to know what happens to them in the second book. You can find these on Amazon.
Thanks,
M
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

negative...I'm a reader, not a writer
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just checking, 'cuz that book was horrible, lol. "Beauty is in the eye" and all that....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just checking, 'cuz that book was horrible, lol. "Beauty is in the eye" and all that....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea...I loved the concept of it with the symbiotic armor and the evil corporation...could've definitely benefited from some better world building. not a terrible read to me but I haven't been able to get into the second book...seems like a carbon copy of the first so far
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, differences of opinion are why they have horse races.  That's why some Chinese teenager just gave Duty, Honor, Planet a one-star review on Amazon.  I know not everyone's going to like my stuff...I'm sure the author of this Extinction series feels the same way.  Or he might just suck, I don't know.  Haven't read 'em.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This will be my first post. Yep, I'm brand new here.
I would like to recommend a couple of old school Scifi books. I read these when I was a kid (long ago!), they were fairly old then. But really holds up good to the high tech world we live in now.  These were written by Tom Godwin. The survivors, and the sequel, Space Barbarians. The first book is a lot better than the second, But after you get into the first, you want to know what happens to them in the second book. You can find these on Amazon.
Thanks,
M
View Quote

Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Larry Niven's Man vs Kzin war series.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

yea...I loved the concept of it with the symbiotic armor and the evil corporation...could've definitely benefited from some better world building. not a terrible read to me but I haven't been able to get into the second book...seems like a carbon copy of the first so far
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the concept was good, although colored with shades of Battlefield Earth, but the delivery was pretty bad.
I envy anyone that can put their ideas on paper though. I've been trying to write for years and it's pathetic, lol.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Did anyone bring up the Hammer's Slammers series?  Some big books, some little filler "personal interest" kind of stuff, and even rewrites of the the Odyssey and Iliad in a sci-fi genre.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#38]
The Risen Empire duopoly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Jerry Pournelle is always good. He wrote a series called the Janissaries about a group of mercenaries transported from the twentieth century by aliens to a distant planet to control the inhabitants. Good military strategy and good plot twists. Jerry Pournelle is good at the hard core military sci-fi and end of civilization scenarios.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I liked W Michael Gear's Forbidden Borders trilogy
View Quote

I'd echo this. It's an excellent series, and seemingly unheard of, at least among all the readers I know.

Awesome sci-fi military strategy and equipment with well written characters that you actually care about.

I will throw one caveat out there though: these books do tend to have a lot of rape in them. To the victor go the spoils, sort of thing. I don't remember it being very graphically written, but it could still be off-putting to some readers.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I really liked Janissaries. I just hope Jerry will finish the last book in the series while he still can.

Quoted:
Jerry Pournelle is always good. He wrote a series called the Janissaries about a group of mercenaries transported from the twentieth century by aliens to a distant planet to control the inhabitants. Good military strategy and good plot twists. Jerry Pournelle is good at the hard core military sci-fi and end of civilization scenarios.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#42]
stars at war books
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#43]
If you like John Ringo, read the Looking Glass novels (Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch).

Also by John Ringo, you might like Von Neumann's War.  It's exactly what it sounds like: Earth is invaded by a Von Neumann Swarm.

There's always David Weber's Honor Harrington series, if you decide to tackle that it ought to keep you busy for several months at a minimum.

Kratman's Carrera series is pretty good.

Everyone knows David Weber best for Honor Harrington, but some of his shorter series and one off books are, IMO, actually his best writing.  I think that Path of the Fury (or the rewrite, called In Fury Born) might be the best novel he ever wrote, and it's also one of his earliest novels.  The best way I can describe In Fury Born is one part Count of Monte Cristo, one part Marines Ooh-Ra, and one part The Punisher.  In space.

Other David Weber books you should consider that are not Honor Harrington:

The Apocalypse Troll (alien time travels back to present day, things start exploding),

The Starfire novels (Crusade, In Death Ground, and the Shiva Option being the best ones.  Crusade has humanity defending itself from space jihadists, In Death Ground and the Shiva Option are your classic bug war.  Lots of things explode, especially in the last two).

The Excalibur Alternative is based on a short story idea (English Longbowmen are kidnapped by aliens and forced to fight, exact epic revenge later).

The Dahak series is some of his earliest work, probably not his best but good for a spectacle (Mutineer's Moon, The Armaggedon Inheritance, Heirs of Empire.  The first two are fun, the third is meh and unnecessary.  You can get all three as an anthology, it's called Empire from the Ashes).

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you like John Ringo, read the Looking Glass novels (Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch).

View Quote

I love that series, though the last one a little less.  I think he made a huge mistake making Two-Gun an officer.  The guy should have wound up taking the place of Top.  
Would love to read more, shame Ringo doesn't have any plans to write more in that series.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I love that series, though the last one a little less.  I think he made a huge mistake making Two-Gun an officer.  The guy should have wound up taking the place of Top.  

Would love to read more, shame Ringo doesn't have any plans to write more in that series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Council War series is pretty good too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

His Falkenberg's Legion novels are great too (future/sci-fi mercenary infantry regiment stuff).

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never could get into it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

His Falkenberg's Legion novels are great too (future/sci-fi mercenary infantry regiment stuff).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found the Falkenberg's Legion books/stories to be too relentlessly claustrophobic and pessimistic for my tastes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I found the Falkenberg's Legion books/stories to be too relentlessly claustrophobic and pessimistic for my tastes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably why I enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#50]
No Legion of the Damned fans here?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top