Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2014 8:49:10 PM EDT
I'm on Chapter 54....  67%. I'm trying my hardest to keep reading as I've already invested so much time in this book. It's just not keeping me interested.  The beginning was interesting but it seems the middle 40% is filler garbage

I started this book because of the cult like reviews but I'm just not getting it. Going on and on and on but nothing is happening.

What am I missing?  Please no spoilers because I'm going to finish it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I enjoyed it. Clearly it's not for everyone.

If you're not interested at this point, you probably won't be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed it. Clearly it's not for everyone.

If you're not interested at this point, you probably won't be.
View Quote

I agree.  It's a typical SK style book.  It's not really filler, he just goes into so much background info about each individual character and/or event.  If you're not into it yet, you never will be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not before I checked out.  I have tried twice to read it.  I think I simply don't enjoy his writing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
When does The Stand start getting good?
View Quote

Unless your a SK fan it doesn't. I thought the mini series adaptation of The Stand was better even though it ran 6 hours.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It was good 30 years ago. A bit dated now.  The original edited version was better than the uncut version released later IMO,
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
it should be good now,sorry that doesnt seem to be the case for you
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't feel bad.  I only read about half of it myself.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't feel bad.  I only read about half of it myself.
View Quote
I gave up the other night at 70%.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I read it through back in the mid 80s.
I don't think it ever really "picks up".
Then again, I'm not a big King fan either.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't like king and think he's a bad writer but liked The Stand
View Quote

That's me too.  The only one of his books I've read all the way through. And I liked it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
It gets a bit preachy, and honestly if you aren't into yet I would move on. There are lots of other great apocalyptic fiction such as "I am Legend", "Earth Abides", Alas Babylon", etc....
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always found SK novels to be almost unreadable, with a couple of the Bachman Books being the outliers (Rage, Road Work, The Long Walk, and The Running Man).  I do enjoy his short fiction a great deal, however, like The Night Shift and Skeleton Crew being my favorites.  I've tried both versions of The Stand and didn't care for either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
It really doesnt. I stopped about 3/4 of the way through and have no desire to finish it.
His other books suck too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You don't like Steven Kind but read both versions of The Stand? That must have taken like a week
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always found SK novels to be almost unreadable, with a couple of the Bachman Books being the outliers (Rage, Road Work, The Long Walk, and The Running Man).  I do enjoy his short fiction a great deal, however, like The Night Shift and Skeleton Crew being my favorites.  I've tried both versions of The Stand and didn't care for either.
You don't like Steven Kind but read both versions of The Stand? That must have taken like a week

Nah, I read about 80% of the larger version that King released later, thought, "jeeze, this needs an editor" and picked up the original version.  Upon doing that I found that the original version was a lot more of the same and didn't even make it to the halfway point.  It took more than a week.  I'm usually pretty willing to give a book a chance that has a huge following, but with the exceptions I listed above, I haven't found SK to be worth the hype.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought it was pretty good up till the ending, which sucked ass big time.  I wish I'd never read the book after that horrible ending.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought it was pretty good up till the ending, which sucked ass big time.  I wish I'd never read the book after that horrible ending.
View Quote

The VERY end with the dark man and the natives?  Or the nuke?  Or Stews trip home?  Or the whole thing?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The VERY end with the dark man and the natives?  Or the nuke?  Or Stews trip home?  Or the whole thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hand of God reaching down to set off the nuke.  It's the very definition of a Deus Ex Machina ending.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Tried to read it in the early 80's.  Couldn't finish it.  Life is too short to read a bad book. Caught 15 minutes of one of the movies; looked hokey as hell.  

I liked some of King's other books.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top