Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 11:46:20 PM EDT
Saw the trailer for the movie, looked up the books and found there are 13 books in the series.  I love long series books, is this one worth it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw the trailer for the movie, looked up the books and found there are 13 books in the series.  I love long series books, is this one worth it?
View Quote

if you are religious and long winded badly written books is up your alley yes it is great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I flipped through one.  It was horrible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if you are religious and long winded badly written books is up your alley yes it is great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sums it up nicely.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

From a religious standpoint, I understand them to be completely inaccurate.  

For an end of the world type standpoint, I find them to be horrible.

Yes, they're badly written, preachy, and formulaic.  

They're also ludicrous in terms of their basic plot.  The authors are so desperate to thump people over the head with a religious message that they don't even bother to really explore what a world in which 1/5 of the population instantly disappears would even be like.  THey could have made some interesting novels, but they couldn't be bothered.  Instead, Just POOF, they're gone and the people "left behind" in these books are carrying on about their daily lives a few weeks later.  For instance, Imagine if every teacher, every daycare provider, everyone who works for a textbook company, everyone who works for any company that caters to children or produces products for children or services for children, everyone who works for a toy company, video game company, the Disney corporation, any amusement park, etc is instantly unemployed.  There'd be stock market crashes, panic selling, and complete economic ruin overnight, worldwide.  Does this happen in these books?  Nope.  Everyone just moves on with their lives.  People just hear that it was a strange scientific event, shrug, and get on with their lives.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reviews, I will not be purchasing the first book.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoyed the first couple of books, but bailed pretty quickly after that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The Wheel of Time series is 14 books long. The Aubrey-Maturin series (Master and Commander) comprises 20 volumes.
Here is a list of some other long running series:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongRunningBookSeries

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Wheel of Time series is 14 books long. The Aubrey-Maturin series (Master and Commander) comprises 20 volumes.

Here is a list of some other long running series:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongRunningBookSeries

View Quote

pass on wheel of time, holy shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Even a fifth grader that reads the Bible would understand that the doctrine is all messed up. ymmv
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the series and it made me think a few times. I have the full series but have not read them all as of yet. I was hooked after the first book.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom borrowed and read the first one or two and liked them.  I found the rest at a library book sale for a buck each and they had them all.  They were worth at least that, I suppose.  . Made mama happy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people I know loved them.  To me they were written at that 6th grade level and I flipping hate that, some people love it.  Reminded me of Nicholas Sparks writing style.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
A number of years ago I read the first one.  It was pretty half-assed (that's a pun. ETA - more a play on words, not pun).  I really did read the first book and did not like it, so I did not read any others.  Also, several years ago "The Simpsons" had a parody episode.  That should tell you something.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
To be fair, hasn't The Simpsons done a parody of everything at this point?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#15]
It's blatantly obvious that it was started with the intention of being a trilogy.  The first few books made some money so they dragged it out.  Horrible doesn't even begin to describe them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'm the weird one and say that I the series.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I read the first few back in high school or so.  I enjoyed them back then but not sure if I'd read them now.

OP, if you'd like to give them a chance shoot me a PM and I'll send you the ones I have.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top