Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 8/30/2014 3:35:47 PM EDT
I just read the article in the latest American Rifleman about Brad Thor.  I'm thinking about picking up his first book.  Is it any good?  How is the series?  Should I start on another book?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I enjoy his books.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I also read the American Rifleman article.  Having bought and read "The Athena Project" when I needed an airplane read book, I do not care for Mr. Thor.  I admire his ability to earn a living as a writer and wish him the best of continued success, but it will not come from any further purchases on my part.  And given the opportunity to read any of his other books at no charge (I mostly read books from the library in hard copy or download), I will respectfully decline.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Lions of Lucerne was a fun read.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked his earlier works okay, but never felt he was at the same level as Vince Flynn.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked his earlier works okay, but never felt he was at the same level as Vince Flynn.
View Quote

This is all it boils down to.  I have read 3 so far, and they are quality reads.  But, he can't touch Vince.  The hero, Harvath, is too smooth, too infallible for my taste.  I don't know if that makes sense, but the result is never in doubt, and he lacks a vulnerability that would make him and the books more appealing. Anyone else feel that way?  
I am gonna keep going, because after Vince passed, there has been a huge hole in the thriller genre I need to fill.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I also read the American Rifleman article.  Having bought and read "The Athena Project" when I needed an airplane read book, I do not care for Mr. Thor.  I admire his ability to earn a living as a writer and wish him the best of continued success, but it will not come from any further purchases on my part.  And given the opportunity to read any of his other books at no charge (I mostly read books from the library in hard copy or download), I will respectfully decline.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
Athena is the worst one.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have read all but the latest book from Brad Thor. He was recommended to me by friends that had also read the Vince Flynn books. While not quite as good as the Flynn books they are pretty good. "The Athena Project" was Thor's weakest book by far, it had a little too much Sci-Fi to it. The Harvath character is good as a stand alone, but does not measure up to Mitch Rapp. Other than his lead Character often carrying a Taurus his firearms choices are usually alright. I will continue to read them and enjoy them for what they are, Flynn's books were better, but we have all we ever will of those.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have read all of his books and found that the best editions are the audio books.  Much more entertaining.  Not exactly a Vince Flynn, but not bad either.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone suggested Full Black to me when it came out. It was pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I enjoy his books.
View Quote

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top