User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Martian that was recently published was a great read. Lots of dark humor.The First Formic War is a three book series that gives the background to Ender's Game. (Earth Unaware, Earth Afire, and Earth Awakens)
Orson Scott Card co-wrote with Aaron Johnston. They are working on another three book series called The Second Formic War that will give all of the backdrop to Ender's Game.

The Long Earth Series. A great book about parallel earths. It will be a five part series with the first three already published. (The Long Earth, The Long War, and The Long Mars)

Now for the absolute favorite: Fate of Worlds, by Larry Niven. It is a great conclusion to the Ringworld/Fleet of Worlds series.
View Quote

agreed, surprisingy good book
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The one I'm going to name isn't a novel, it's a short story. Diamond Dogs, by Alastair Reynolds. It's a short horror scifi piece that has grabbed my imagination more than other books. I think about it often.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Just finished The Chaplains War, good Scifi, not so much about the fighting, more about the interactions between two warring species.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Asimov's Foundation Trilogy is a must read for sci-fi fans IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just cracked open Sphere by Michael Crichton.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Dune was probably the first SciFi book I read.  It is really hard to nail down a singular title as my favorite.

Right now I am rather fond of Weber's Honor Harrington Universe, could be because I read everything in that series since the beginning of July.

Tom Kratman's Carrera series, Ringo & Weber's Empire of Man series, Ringo's Citadel series are some of the newer authors I have enjoyed.

Christopher Nuttall's Ark Royal series is enjoyable as well as Jason Andrew Bond's Hammerhead books.

Two titles that I think are worth reading for anyone would be Heinlein's Starship Troopers and David Drake's Redliners.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
one of my all time favorites is Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Simmons can write space battles. They're the best I've ever read.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

one of my all time favorites is Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Hyperion_cover.jpg

View Quote
Loved the whole series, and the second two book series he did as well!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got around to reading "Old Mans War"...

DAMN that's a really, really good book.  His writing style is great too...  

Are the follow on books as good or was it a one shot wonder?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Scalzi's left wing politics start to peek out more and more.  

In Old Man's War, the galaxy is a screwed up place, and it's kill or be killed.  We expect our military to do shitty, nasty things to other races because if they don't those other races are going to do shitty, nasty things to us.  I dig that, I don't expect war books where everyone's a shining paragon of virtue, the world's a messed up place and I don't mind if an author projects that onto the galaxy.  Heck, it's a nice change from the galactic group hug that Star Trek seems to revolve around.

By about the 3rd book in the series it turns out that it's all the racist human's fault, the galaxy would be a fairly peaceful place if it wasn't for us screwing everything up.  Note that all of those books were written when Bush was president.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Too many to name but I am just now finishing up BOLO Rising.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I really enjoyed Ready Player One, though it isn't on the level of Heinlen by any stretch of the imagination. If you played an arcade game in the 80's you should read it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In Old Man's War, the galaxy is a screwed up place, and it's kill or be killed.  We expect our military to do shitty, nasty things to other races because if they don't those other races are going to do shitty, nasty things to us.  I dig that, I don't expect war books where everyone's a shining paragon of virtue, the world's a messed up place and I don't mind if an author projects that onto the galaxy.  Heck, it's a nice change from the galactic group hug that Star Trek seems to revolve around.

By about the 3rd book in the series it turns out that it's all the racist human's fault, the galaxy would be a fairly peaceful place if it wasn't for us screwing everything up.  Note that all of those books were written when Bush was president.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While this is true, I still think they are worth the read. I enjoyed them quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While this is true, I still think they are worth the read. I enjoyed them quite a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem with Scalzi, isn't it?  He's a damned good writer, so even if he's writing something you vehemently disagree with, it's still going to be pretty darned good.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Another book, short stories - not novel, I've enjoyed is "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury.  Much of the content is now dated, but very well written.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another book, short stories - not novel, I've enjoyed is "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury.  Much of the content is now dated, but very well written.
View Quote

Shit, most of it was dated when it was released.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm reading Footfall for the first time right now, i think this could go on my list of favorites.  I dont know why it took me so long to read this
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm reading Footfall for the first time right now, i think this could go on my list of favorites.  I dont know why it took me so long to read this
View Quote

Pournelle and Niven are amazing when they team up.  Have you read Lucifer's Hammer?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pournelle and Niven are amazing when they team up.  Have you read Lucifer's Hammer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet.    Its on my list of books to read soon,  i try to rotate what i read and i've been slacking off for the past two years, having a toddler has sucked my energy, even for reading
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not yet.    Its on my list of books to read soon,  i try to rotate what i read and i've been slacking off for the past two years, having a toddler has sucked my energy, even for reading
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Footfall is on your all time favorites list Lucifers Hammer will certainly be on there.  Great book.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touche!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If Footfall is on your all time favorites list Lucifers Hammer will certainly be on there.  Great book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, I remember liking the parts of Footfall that reminded me of Hammer, and wishing the rest was also more like Hammer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Indeed, I remember liking the parts of Footfall that reminded me of Hammer, and wishing the rest was also more like Hammer.
View Quote

Its kind of weird reading this, I don't like any of these characters, same thing with Ringworld, I hated every body in the book
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its kind of weird reading this, I don't like any of these characters, same thing with Ringworld, I hated every body in the book
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucifer's Hammer is kind of the same way for me.  

Weren't these books originally one big book?  Or maybe it was The Mote in God's Eye and Lucifer's Hammer?

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Weren't these books originally one big book?  Or maybe it was The Mote in God's Eye and Lucifer's Hammer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, what happened was that Niven and Pournelle had the idea for Footfall first, but their publishers poo-poo'ed the idea of the alien invasion, so they just kept the impacting celestial body and wrote Lucifer's Hammer first.
And yes, having a relatable, likeable protagonist is something Pournelle and Niven both struggle with.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, what happened was that Niven and Pournelle had the idea for Footfall first, but their publishers poo-poo'ed the idea of the alien invasion, so they just kept the impacting celestial body and wrote Lucifer's Hammer first.
And yes, having a relatable, likeable protagonist is something Pournelle and Niven both struggle with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

now that I think about it I'm not sure that I really liked anyone in Mote either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#28]
If I had to pick one...

Maybe Startide Rising (David Brin)?

Also considering

Downbelow Station
Faded Sun (a trilogy, but combined into one volume- Cherryh is brilliant enough to nominate twice)
Neuromancer (dated, but created a genre)
Dune
Red Mars
Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Snow Crash
Ender's Game
Spin
Beggars in Spain
Armor (darker than dark- I love it)
ETA- A Fire Upon the Deep
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah.  Thought I remembered reading something like that.  Great books despite not having likeable characters.  I enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer and The Mote quite a bit more than Footfall.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah for Armor!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah for Armor!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah for Armor!

Not the highest quality literature (even for Sci Fi) but always a good read.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top