Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2014 6:49:03 PM EDT
Has anybody read the series? I believe it is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire. Have started to watch the series on tv and figured I could use another good series to read. Just wondered if anybody had read it and had any opinions on the books. No spoilers please!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read them. They're awesome.

If you think the show is good, read the books. Lots more backstory and it's a fun ride.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought them. Didn't get more than 50 pages into the first book. It just didn't grab me. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you think the show is good, read the books. Lots more backstory and it's a fun ride.
View Quote

About 100 pages into book one. Enjoying it so far. Close to the same story line as the show. Has more of the characters' opinions of others.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Way better than the show. Just wish the next book would come out!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the first 4. There will be more coming out? I am new to the series on both the show and books.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I got the first 4. There will be more coming out? I am new to the series on both the show and books.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 is out, 6 is expected in a few years. maybe.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good I am enjoying the series so far so hopefully they do release another book soon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
6 is to be released early in 2015.

A lot of people are worried that he'll drop dead before he finishes it.
If the producers of the show were smart they'd specify that he has to leave a highly detailed story line of how it's to end, along with a recommendation of an author who can finish it, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've read them all...its like a bad relationship, you keep coming back for more abuse.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've read them all.  Last two books suck.
View Quote

They left a bit to be desired, but I admit fascination with you know who joining the black and white club. I want to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just about to start a thread about this, having just finished the last book.

The story lines and characters start to meander and lose momentum in the last book or two, not to mention the sudden eyeroll-inducing political correctness.

When it's good, it's really good.  When it's bad, it's pretty awful.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was just about to start a thread about this, having just finished the last book.

The story lines and characters start to meander and lose momentum in the last book or two, not to mention the sudden eyeroll-inducing political correctness.

When it's good, it's really good.  When it's bad, it's pretty awful.
View Quote

Halfway through the first book and I am liking it so far. I guess we will see. Most people seem to be saying the same as you, maybe he will spice it up more in the sixth book.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
6 is to be released early in 2015.

A lot of people are worried that he'll drop dead before he finishes it.
If the producers of the show were smart they'd specify that he has to leave a highly detailed story line of how it's to end, along with a recommendation of an author who can finish it, just in case.
View Quote

the show producers already know the high level endgame...and hbo owns the rights to the story now so they could do their own thing with the ending if it came down to that.

I really don't think GRRM is going to finish the series
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Ice and Fire Wiki

It will come in handy when you lose track of characters and their backstories.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've read them all...its like a bad relationship, you keep coming back for more abuse.
View Quote

This. Just finished the 4th book yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there some sort of visual that shows the timeline of the books compared to the show?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there some sort of visual that shows the timeline of the books compared to the show?
View Quote

Idk about the other books but I have read the first book and watched the first season. And they closely followed the other as far as timelines go. There are certain events in the end if the 1st season that are in the second book however.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm just past the halfway point in the 5th book.  At first I didn't like the way that GRRM split the 4th and 5th books, but since I've gotten to where they intertwine again, I'm warming to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]
GRRM is known for releasing his work on his own time schedule. It's averaged five years between the last few installments. Goerge attends all the Worldcon conventions, and I was lucky enough to talk with him about that same issue. He said he is so busy with other aspects of his writing(screen, etc.), that it's just not a priority as many expect it to be. I had him endorse "A Dance With Dragons" while we talked. Really cool, down to earth, humble guy!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I've read all 5 books about six times.  I just started over again.  

Great series, not much to discuss if you're reading book one and don't want to see spoilers.  The show is pretty good, the books give you a lot deeper story that really can't be done well in the show.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
GRRM is known for releasing his work on his own time schedule. It's averaged five years between the last few installments.
View Quote

It's not just that it takes him 5 years or so to write each book - it's that with each book he announces that the end is 2 more books further away.  Remember, this was supposed to be a trilogy.  By the time he finished book 3, it was going to be a 5 book series.  Book 5 is out and now it's a 7 book series.  I'm not going to put spoilers on here but if he was really only 2 books away from finish this thing you'd be seeing some convergence by now - characters would be meeting, sides would be aligning.  Instead, it's all moving further apart - in the last book he introduced a whole bunch of NEW characters, NEW claimants to the throne, new plots and sub plots.  The last 2 books did not budge us even one inch closer to a conclusion to this series.  

He's been possessd by the spirit of Robert Jordan, and I hope they've already contacted Brandon Sanderson to see if he wants to wrap it up after GRRM's heart stops beating.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Read the first five. Excellent. Ca not wait until the next is out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
And if you think they are good, grab the Malazan series from Steven Erikson, its Game of Thrones on steroids, with twin turbos and a blower.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1, more detail than the shows
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're much better if read like this:

http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought them. Didn't get more than 50 pages into the first book. It just didn't grab me. YMMV
View Quote

I think I made it about halfway through book 2 myself.

Just bought the first book on Audible anyway.  Wife watches the show, so figure it would be fun for long car rides.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Haven read it  but started watching the series almost done with season one and so far it's highly overrated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Haven read it  but started watching the series almost done with season one and so far it's highly overrated.
View Quote

This thread is about the books.

The show has its own issues, but it is a fair adaptation, especially in season one.  That said, there is no way to begin to convey the depth of the books in the show.  I would encourage you to read the books (the subject of this thread), before you write off the series.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have read the first 4 books and just started book 5. I really like the series and hope book 6 comes out soon!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Blasphemy!!!

I unfortunatly coincide that... uhg Damn... it could happen, look what happend at the end of wheel of time.  Lets just fucking hope GRRMs heart is stronger than his outward apperence leads us to belive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Just finished Book 1.  Not a fantasy fan, won't be reading any more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Blasphemy!!!

I unfortunatly coincide that... uhg Damn... it could happen, look what happend at the end of wheel of time.  Lets just fucking hope GRRMs heart is stronger than his outward apperence leads us to belive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Blasphemy!!!

I was friends with John Steakley, who was old friends with Robert Jordan.  When Jordan was diagnosed with a highly fatal type of cancer, he made sure to outline how Wheel of Time was going to end.  He fought the cancer until his last day, but made sure people knew where it was going.  As I recall, he sat loved ones down and delighted them with stories and orations of what was going to happen.  

Martin is already 66, morbidly obese, and is so grey and fat he appears to already be dead.   I don't think even he knows how GOTM is going to end.  Even if he does, he seems so egotistical I doubt he really believes anyone else could finish it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry, dupe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was friends with John Steakley, who was old friends with Robert Jordan.  When Jordan was diagnosed with a highly fatal type of cancer, he made sure to outline how Wheel of Time was going to end.  He fought the cancer until his last day, but made sure people knew where it was going.  As I recall, he sat loved ones down and delighted them with stories and orations of what was going to happen.  

Martin is already 66, morbidly obese, and is so grey and fat he appears to already be dead.   I don't think even he knows how GOTM is going to end.  Even if he does, he seems so egotistical I doubt he really believes anyone else could finish it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemy!!!

Martin knows how it's going to end, and he's told the producers of the show...  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Read a couple of the books, but did the audio book for the last few.  Like most things the books are much better then the show.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemy!!!

Armor is on of the best books I have ever read. Felix was such an ass kicker, it was very sad in many ways.  I have my original paper back version of this book.  One of the few i have kept all these years.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I just now finished all five so far.  Little disappointed at who dies towards the end of the fifth, but it was their own doing I suppose.

Took me quite a while.  There are a lot of pages between all of them.... I almost feel accomplished.

I have DVRed all the GoT HBO shows so now I am going to start watching them.  I expect to be disappointed.  There is no way you can get all the twists into a TV series, but it should be entertaining nonetheless.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Outstanding series....but getting long in the tooth.....still, I love it.  I am over halfway through book five and even though this is my second time through the series....I'm nearly as lost as I was the first time....there are just soooo many characters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Im the guy who started the thread, had a problem with my email service on that account and had to make a new one unfortunately. I am currently on the fourth book and its slowing down for me. The books have killed off all the characters I liked (trying not to include spoilers) so now its just reading about characters I am not attached to. Still like the books though. Finished the TV series as well. Heavily disappointed in them. Lots of characters and details left out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Im the guy who started the thread, had a problem with my email service on that account and had to make a new one unfortunately. I am currently on the fourth book and its slowing down for me. The books have killed off all the characters I liked (trying not to include spoilers) so now its just reading about characters I am not attached to. Still like the books though. Finished the TV series as well. Heavily disappointed in them. Lots of characters and details left out.
View Quote

That's how I feel now at the end of 5.  The couple people left I liked are either dead or it sure seems they are going to be soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's how I feel not at the end of 5.  The couple people left I liked are either dead or it sure seems they are going to be soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I feel not at the end of 5.  The couple people left I liked are either dead or it sure seems they are going to be soon.

Exactly. Every time I find a character with a trait I like they are killed off within a few chapters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just now finished all five so far.  Little disappointed at who dies towards the end of the fifth, but it was their own doing I suppose.

View Quote

I know who you refer too, but...

R'hllor does not will this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm in to it far enough that I will read the rest of the series.  Just a bit disappointing at the lack of story in the last two books.  They really dragged on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They left a bit to be desired, but I admit fascination with you know who joining the black and white club. I want to see where this goes.

I'm in to it far enough that I will read the rest of the series.  Just a bit disappointing at the lack of story in the last two books.  They really dragged on.

I just finished the series again. I thought the same thing but upon re-reading it, it's not too bad. Watching the show makes it seem like it drags on. The next book will be the real teller. I expect things to move quicker after this but if they don't... well yeah. The long winter is here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And if you think they are good, grab the Malazan series from Steven Erikson, its Game of Thrones on steroids, with twin turbos and a blower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, not really. Steven tries to make up so many names, places, and words that the reader gets lost. The first book took something to get into. I haven't even finished the second because it doesn't even take off from book one and he introduces so much crap that I have no idea what's going on.

I was not impressed. Glad I only bought the first two and not that whole series. I was hoping it'd be an epic like you said.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I've bought the books on kindle, haven't gotten around to reading them yet
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, not really. Steven tries to make up so many names, places, and words that the reader gets lost. The first book took something to get into. I haven't even finished the second because it doesn't even take off from book one and he introduces so much crap that I have no idea what's going on.

I was not impressed. Glad I only bought the first two and not that whole series. I was hoping it'd be an epic like you said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved the first book, couldnt put it down. Second one was slow so was the third. On the fourth now and I have taken a break from them because I dont have time right now. Still like the series though and like how in depth they are. The more I have to think about it the more I like it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#49]
The 4th and 5th books were long and they did not get my full appreciation until the second read through.  I missed a ton of things of the first read. But I am really glad I reread them.

I really like "no one's" arc in Braavos and how it interceeds with the Men of the Black.  Hehe and some extra boots.

I have also started to dig the Iron Born story arc, but only during my second read.  Victorian Greyjoy is bad ass, he is the Kraken.

Also Ser Barrestan Selmy POV are very cool and very revealing about a lot of the back story.

Has anyone read the small novellas tales of Dunk and Egg?  They are really good.  They reveal many secrets as well.

Edit stupid spelling
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The 4th and 5th books were long and they did not get my full appreciation until the second read through.  I missed a ton of things of the first read. But I am really glad I reread them.

I really like "no one's" arc in Braavos and how it interceeds with the Men of the Black.  Hehe and some extra boots.

I have also started to dig the Iron Born story arc, but only during my second read.  Victorian Greyjoy is bad ass, he is the Kraken.

Also Ser Barrestan Selmy POV are very cool and very revealing about a lot of the back story.

Has anyone read the small novellas tales of Dunc and Egg?  They are really good.  They reveal many secrets as well.
View Quote

I cant get an interest built up on the Iron Born story myself first read through. But maybe I havent read enough yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top