Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 7:46:39 PM EDT
Looking for an e-reader, but am not averse to getting a Fire or Tablet to use for a reader.

What are your experiences?

How is the tablet or Fire versus the Paperwhite for reading?

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a refurbished HiSense from Walmart for about 100$. It does the job just fine. 7" screen, large enough to expand out when I want, and no wireless bill. Also has a slot for a microSD card, for storing lots of free books.

I had a 2nd generation kindle. It was ok-but was slow, and had no expandable memory. When it bit the dust, I didn't cry.

Don't know about the paperwhite, or Fire version.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't like reading books on tablets. I had one of the kindles with a keyboard that I loved. I just got a new paperwhite with integral backlight that is great. For around $100 you can't beat it IMO.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Kindle touch, and then got a MS Surface last year through my job. I think I've picked up the Kindle maybe about a half dozen times since.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I mostly read using the Kindle app on my Galaxy S5 or my Nexus 7 tablet.  My daughter has a Kindle Fire HD and it works okay but for the money I'd rather have  full-featured tablet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Kindle fire (WiFi) connect, not the 4g unit. Had one of the paperwhites.  IF you have 20/20 get the pw. If you \r eyes are less than perfect K/Fire. Trying to read on the PW for me was

Pg 1- Once Upon A Ti   pg 2 Me, there was a litt  pg 3 old lady who liv,, It wasn't that bad, but taking 1 page and turing it to 2-3 pages for my use, goodbye..

Plus i like the color screen the Fire has. Much easier to utilize, be it books or web smurfing. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a paperwhite.  Other than I wish the screen was bigger, it is a great thing to have.  I used to read on my iPad but you can't do that in the sun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8" for reading. I like it, and it has a lot of other great functionality.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a tablet and a paperwhite.  Used to read books on my tablet all the time.  Haven't done it since I got the paperwhite.   It's far better for reading books.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a tablet and a paperwhite.  Used to read books on my tablet all the time.  Haven't done it since I got the paperwhite.   It's far better for reading books.
View Quote

Same here. Kindle paperwhite is much better for reading than my Ipad. Fits in cargo pants pockets and some jeans. Battery life is an order of magnitude better on the Kindle vs the Ipad.  If the font is to small for your eyes, wear reading glasses.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Paperwhite is far better in direct sunlight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to use it to read, get the new  paperwhite. I have about 7 tablets laying around & the paperwhite is the one I read with.
No eyestrain like tablets. And insane battery life.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're going to use it to read, get the new  paperwhite. I have about 7 tablets laying around & the paperwhite is the one I read with.
View Quote

Even compared to a relatively high res display like a Nexus 7 2013 a paperwhite is far easier to read.  The battery life is better on the paperwhite also.   Only thing that bothers me on it is the slight lag as it turns pages, but that's easy enough to get used to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Kindle with the keyboard and a Kindle Fire. I read on the Keyboard the most. A paper white next.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Kindle and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 in.

I prefer to read on the Kindle just because of  the "real" paper look of the screen and no glare.  Reading a book on the tablet strains my eye's after awhile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I was using an ipad air, but bought a paperwhite when they went on sale ($40) a few months ago.

Reading on the paperwhite a better experience for me than the ipad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I have a nook light also or whatever it's called.  I picked up a paperwhite through a deal here someone posted and barely pick up the nook anymore.  The paperwhite is awesome overall and actually has aftermarket products for it like covers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
oops.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:11:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a paper white and love it. I would never buy the kindle fire shit, I want a reader not a half assed tablet thing that does neither well. Get the one that is cheaper with the ad bullshit. Only time you see it is when its off or at start up and if you don't connect to the internet for a while there are no ads because they all expire. I use Caliber to organize my books and to move them to the kindle.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Kindle Fire HDX and wish I'd bought a different tablet. The browser sucks, the app store is barren, it doesn't work with anything Google. It's OK for reading but I find I get distracted by having a browser right there: I'll see something interesting in the book that I want to know more about and then 20 minutes later I'm still reading web sites instead of the book.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I use the cheap kindle 4 and love it better than paper books.  I don't like the paperwhite's touch screen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Paperwhite.  Great battery life, great in the sun.  It's just the way to go if you're a heavy reader, no question about it.  Pair that with a Kindle app on your smartphone (free), and you're set...you'll be able to just spontaneously start reading at almost any moment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an iPad and a netbook, but all of my reading is done on the paperwhite.  I think I've charged it maybe twice in the previous 3 months, and I read at least an hour a day. . . .
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top