Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 2:56:07 AM EDT
About half way thru. One of those classics I never got around to reading for some reason until on a whim I picked up a copy at the library. So far I'm struggling with maintaining my interest. Tell me it's worth finishing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be lying.

Holden's an unlikeable dick.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]
its not
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
On a scale of 1-10, it's a solid "Meh."
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for it.

I had to read that in Jr. High and even then, when my loftiest reading aspirations at the time were comic books and Mack Bolan books, I thought it was horrible.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Then why the he'll is it considered a classic? Cause I'm not getting that, pretty crappy so far.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried and got half the way through and Meh ...
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Terrible book. The ending is as climactic as the middle. Don't waste your time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then why the he'll is it considered a classic? Cause I'm not getting that, pretty crappy so far.

View Quote

Because it's "literature", and therefore, automatically superior to 'genre fiction'. Or some such bull$hit.

But, that's like, just my opinion, man.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, if you're not going to finish it, let me spoil the ending.  Holden was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, it made such an impression on me that I can't remember what it was about.

Quoted:
Terrible book. The ending is as climactic as the middle. Don't waste your time.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to consider when it came out.

It was about teen angst and the Boomers lapped it up.

J.D. Salinger wrote a good number of unpublished works and at least a few of them are going to be released.

That means you have the opportunity to read more books you will dislike!

Salinger was a nutbasket.  His behavior with younger women was pretty reprehensible.  He seemed stuck in a frozen developmental mode (much like his characters).

I don't know what his root damage was but his experiences in WWII didn't help things any.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Was it a riveting book?  No.

Did it speak to me as a youf (I'm 37 now, read CITR when...16?)  Yes.  I identified with Holden.  Just drifting around, nothing really important, trying hard at times, but never hard enough to see anything through.  

Classic?  Maybe because it foretold the general apathy of late teenagers.  Maybe not even foretold.  Maybe 15-22 year olds have always been like this, and it comes full bore when everything is given to them and they have time to reflect on it, vs. busting ass in a manual labor job.

YMMV, IMHO, FBHO, etc.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Add me to the list of people that made it about halfway through before moving onto something else.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'd be lying.

Holden's an unlikeable dick.
View Quote

I'll never understand the infatuation with this book and this character.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]
OP will now be found with the likes of Sirhan Sirhan....  I hated that damn book in HS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a reason why you never hear of anyone reading it (or A Separate Peace, for that matter) outside of a 10th grade reading assignment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]
It might have been the thing to read back in the day. I tried to read it a few years ago, It sucked.!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Met a gal on the train last week who raved about Salinger, said he was her favorite author.

You don't see that much.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#19]
yes, because you need to find out what happens to the ducks when winter comes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because it's "literature", and therefore, automatically superior to 'genre fiction'. Or some such bull$hit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had  to read a lot of "literature" in High School.Gems such as 'Silas Marner';'Ivanhoe';The Canterbury Tales';'David Copperfield'.........6 books per semester.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a great read for high school age kids full of angst. I guess it loses some of its luster once you get a few years older.

Quoted:
Met a gal on the train last week who raved about Salinger, said he was her favorite author.

You don't see that much.
View Quote

Back in '03, an old XO of mine, who was a full time HS English teacher, saw me reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. He lol'd, and said "I didn't think anyone read that book anymore."

But, he ended up loaning me some Flannery O'Connor during our deployment, so I'm in his debt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a great read for high school age kids full of angst. I guess it loses some of its luster once you get a few years older.

Back in '03, an old XO of mine, who was a full time HS English teacher, saw me reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. He lol'd, and said "I didn't think anyone read that book anymore."

But, he ended up loaning me some Flannery O'Connor during our deployment, so I'm in his debt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't see that much.

Catcher in the Rye just increased my High School angst.  I was halfway on the road to being a full out Commie, despite thinking I hated commies because they were commies.  Another overprivileged snot and his made up problems was the last thing I was in the mood for.

I was an angry, bitter young man.  Sometimes, the derpers in GD remind me of me.

Anyway, this gal was probably mid to late 20s, worked for Red Bull, grew up in California... surfer gal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If you don't like it it is because you are phony.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top