Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 5:42:24 PM EDT
Did anybody like this book?  I think that this is the correct name.  I tried reading it twice, lost interest both times about page 30.  I just couldn't get into it.  I didn't bother seeing the movie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't read the book. The movie was actually pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't speak to the book.

Original movie is excellent(if you like dark, brutal, violent movies)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
you gotta hold out for about 100 pages, then you won't be able to stop until you've read all 3 books.  don't worry about trying to memorize who everyone is in the wealthy family that is at the center of book 1.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag, only read part of the book a while back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you gotta hold out for about 100 pages, then you won't be able to stop until you've read all 3 books.  don't worry about trying to memorize who everyone is in the wealthy family that is at the center of book 1.
View Quote

This, excellent read once you give it a chance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I read it after watching the original film. The book is worth reading, and the original movie is very faithful to the first book. I haven't seen the American version of the film, so I can't comment on that one.

Like Feudist said, the original films are VERY dark and, at (several) times, brutal.  I saw the full trilogy on Netflix a couple of years ago...I think they still have the extended version of the original trilogy on there. If you start watching, be prepared to waste a weekend, because you will not be able to stop watching. I think the extended version of the trilogy is something like 18 hours total. Totally worth it, even with subtitles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually it's a little over 9 hours.  I saw it for free on Amazon Prime but for some reason now they're charging for it.  I read all three books first and recommend that before watching the movies.  Slow start but once you're into them you will lose sleep to keep reading.  It's too bad Larsson had to die before he could write more books.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually it's a little over 9 hours.  I saw it for free on Amazon Prime but for some reason now they're charging for it.  I read all three books first and recommend that before watching the movies.  Slow start but once you're into them you will lose sleep to keep reading.  It's too bad Larsson had to die before he could write more books.
View Quote

You are correct. It was a long day and my mental calculator has clearly stopped working.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The beginning of the book is SLOW...you gotta give it a chance! Its a fantastic book
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have read the series 2 times.  I also went out and bought the original movies when I heard about them.   I hope books 4 and 5 will be published.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Let this book be a lesson to all of you would be/wanna be writers.  From what I've read, as bad as the first 100 or so pages are, before extensive editing, the book was apparently a lot worse.  All three books appaently received heavy editing by Larsson's girl friend/editor.  Even good writers need good editors.

Last I read, the girl friend/editor had Larsson's laptop which had the draft of at least book four, but the legal rights were owned by Larsson's father and brother.  So another lesson here is, for anything of value, have a good will directing who will inherit what no matter how old you are.

The thrid lesson, don't walk up seven flights of stairs when the elevator is broken and you are an out of shape, bad diet eating, heavy smoking, desk jockey.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did anybody like this book?  I think that this is the correct name.  I tried reading it twice, lost interest both times about page 30.  I just couldn't get into it.  I didn't bother seeing the movie.
View Quote

I read the book and found it hard to focus on it too..however I watched all of the movies in the series and thought they were good!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
the book was hard to get into, but once it got good, it got reaaallly good. Burned through it and ate up the next two as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have read the books a few times and liked the movies.  Stick with the book, you won't regret it.

I think the American movie captured the tone of the books better than the original, but both were very very good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
all the above. (both movies)

anal rape was abit gritty...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
too bad the author died, would have been interesting to see if he was going to extend the series.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Read the books, watched the movies.....keep at it, it's worth it
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
all the above. (both movies)

anal rape was abit gritty...
View Quote

Phrasing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#20]
All three books were excellent.  Try again and stick with it...you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Never read the book, but I saw the first movie.  Basic detective thriller with an extra large serving of brutal rape.  It was decent, but the story didn't exactly blow me away.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top