Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2014 5:15:47 PM EDT
L'Amour's writing includes small details that always create great images in the imagination. I like the Sackett series best because it spans the era when the Americas were being colonized. I wish he had written more about that and more to span the gap between the late 1600s and mid-late 1800s, where most of his westerns were set.

If you enjoy stories that include a good mix of history, woodscraft, and discussion of liberty and bettering oneself all rolled into one, L'Amour's stories have few peers.

These stories should be interesting to the homestead/readiness crowd as well.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, read ALL of them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite western writer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't call myself a fan but I read more than a few of his books and enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
He has about 3 different themes and just changes the name/s of the characters.

He got old quick.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I listened to a bunch of his books, We liked them very much! The Sacketts were her favorite, I couldn't pick.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
yes of course
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]

bowdrie is my favorite and weve managed to amass a big collection of his stories on tape/cd and when were camping/hunting play one every night going to bed in the hills listening to westerns on the stereo is heaven on earth
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He has about 3 different themes and just changes the name/s of the characters.

He got old quick.
View Quote

Yeah - but the details are still good.

We like: "I'm a hair taller than 6'3" and 220 pounds, most of which is in my chest and arms." We always wonder how fast that will show up.

You can pick that up in a lot of writers though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only read one of his books, "Last of the Breed," and I loved it. I'm not a big Western fan so I haven't read any of his other books.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like his books, you'd probably like his autobiography, Education of a Wandering Man.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Loved the Sackett's books...always wanted to read the others just never found the time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you like his books, you'd probably like his autobiography, Education of a Wandering Man.
View Quote

I made a list, from the book. In 3 years, he read over 400 books. Now, I don't know how many of those were the Little Blue Books (96 pages IIRC), but that's still impressive.

As a youth, I had a guy tell me, "I haven't read more than 15 books since I graduated high school." (It had been 20 or more years. Heck, I'd read that many that year!) He seemed rather proud of that. I just can't imagine....

Anyhow, how many books did he write where he didn't use the phrase, "Slugged it out toe-to-toe" at least once? (I've asked this before I'm pretty sure it was less than 5.) I see the point. But when it comes to a "comfort" book, LL is right up there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have only read one of his books, "Last of the Breed," and I loved it. I'm not a big Western fan so I haven't read any of his other books.
View Quote

Just reread that last year. Have Paperback and hard cover.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be inheriting the leather bound collection one day, grew up reading them in front of a wood stove. Probably effected how I turned out

His Sackett novels are good,
Last of the Breed is outstanding as is The Walking Drum, both of those should required reading for any sort of Manly Man.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll be inheriting the leather bound collection one day, grew up reading them in front of a wood stove. Probably effected how I turned out

Last of the Breed is outstanding as is The Walking Drum, both of those should required reading for any sort of Manly Man.
View Quote
Very much concur.

TWD is still my all time favorite book, I have had it since it first came out in the early 80's and have read it 15+ times.  Still catches me in it and can't put it down.

I also like to think that his books influenced me on my manners and attitudes for others.  I am a by nature a solitary man, so this may be a curse of that as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have read many of his books, and as stated above, starts getting old--but still pretty good.

I thought the two sackett books I read were his worst.

The walking drum was just above average.

Last of the breed was his best and one of my all time favorites across many genres.  if I had to recommend one LL book, it would be LOTbreed.  I couldn't believe it was even the same author.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, read ALL of them.
View Quote

This.  My parents have moved 4-5 times for jobs and tone of the things they keep is their paperback Louis L'amour novels.

I've read every single one and stole "The Empty Land" on one of my trips home in college.

Matt Coburn was always my favorite.  Better 'en Tyrell and those silly Sackett boys.  

He was an amazing writer and captured the feeling of being just alone and enjoying being alone in a novel every single time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Huge fan of his.  I've read all of his novels except two.  

How do y'all feel about his short stories?  I love his westerns, but the western short stories I never got into.  Now, the short stories about the Pacific really sucked me in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
There hasn't really been a movie adaptation of his books that have really did them justice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Was camping in Texas after getting out of college. Wanted to spend some time traveling before finding a job.
Met some nice folks at Falcon Lake state park who gave me one his novels.
They told me Louis had walked every foot of the places he put into his books.
I really liked the short stories that had historical notes between them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I read a handful of his books when I was a kid. They were decent, but not particularly memorable.

Then I read Last of the Breed a few years later. Hands down his best book and still one of my favorites from any author. One of the few books I've reread, because there are too many "new" books out there I haven't read yet.

When my wife was first getting interested in reading as a hobby (she never enjoyed it much when she was younger), LotB was one of the books I recommended to her. She also loved it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My grandmother read his books when I was a kid, she talked about him as if they knew each other well. Maybe they did for all I know? I just figured they were the same as her romance novels and never thought to open one up myself. Maybe I'll check one out.
View Quote

His straight westerns do get repetitive ( still good, though )  BUT the Sackett novels are GREAT!!!!  I mean GREAT!!!  Plus his "outside the box" books like "Walking Drum", "Last of the Breed" and "Haunted Mesa" are FANTASTIC!!!

For realllly authentic Westerns, I like Elmer Kelton....man, can that guy write!!!

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I own every book he has wrote except for some of the short stories, yes it does get repetitive but they are fun reads.

One of the neighborhood kids wanted to read them so I let him borrow a few and later that day he brought them back and told me that his dad wouldn't let him read them as he didn't know what they were about
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I read all of them back in junior high.  Really enjoyed his work back then.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I own every book he has wrote except for some of the short stories, yes it does get repetitive but they are fun reads.

One of the neighborhood kids wanted to read them so I let him borrow a few and later that day he brought them back and told me that his dad wouldn't let him read them as he didn't know what they were about
View Quote

Cue the gif "That's just retarded, sir".
2 minutes research on the internet and his kid could have had hours of entertainment.
You can lead a horse to water...
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's a God damned shame.  That man should be ECSTATIC that his youngun' wants to read westerns.  Poor kid's got a douche for dad.

Good on you for tryin' though!!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This the Morals  that the Sacketts and his other characters lived by,  shaped my own Moral Code.  I started reading his books at age 6 I didnt realize until a couple years ago what an impact they had, had on me.   I grew up to be "whatever it takes to get the coon"
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know that I read them all but I am sure I read most of them as a youngster.  I also read somewhere that when he described a location in his books it was a real location not just something he made up. I don't know if that is accurate or not.  Certainly good starter books with a good message.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yes, read ALL of them.
View Quote
Me too. My parents had every L'Amour book he ever wrote. They read them, and most of my brothers and sisters read them. I have read all of them, as far as I know, many of them more than once.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top