Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 3/16/2014 3:57:36 AM EDT
I am a big fan of Crichton and have been since I was a kid. It all started with Jurrasic Park as I guess many kids did.

my favorite books among all of them, and I do love them all, are

Airframe
State of Fear

I would love to see these made into movies but airframe won't happen because it would have cost a bunch of money at least when it first came out and there isn't much market for it now, and frankly while a damn good book but probably wouldn't make a good movie. State of fear would make a fantastic movie, however, the libtards would never let it get made. That and well the science isn't that great.

Discuss.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really have a favorite, per se.

I just wish the ones that were made into movies had followed the books.

Like . . . why no chameleon carnosaurs, you know? That'd have been fucking awesome to see - and would've scared the crap out of the kiddies! (Pro'ly why the didn't do it.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Could we please spell Crichton correctly...........this is why we can't have nice things...

ETA-Eater of the dead FTW
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
the movie was horrible, but my fave of his is Timeline. It was my "Catcher in the Rye" as I used to have three copies of it
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Sphere is one of my favorites. The movie sucked (like most Crichton movie adaptations).

Andromeda Strain, Timeline, and Airframe are right up there, too.

Eaters of The Dead and Congo are both great novels, with horrible, horrible movie adaptations....although Bruce Campbell DID star in Congo, if only for a few minutes.

Never read a bad Crichton book.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sphere is one of my favorites. The movie sucked (like most Crichton movie adaptations).

Andromeda Strain, Timeline, and Airframe are right up there, too.

Eaters of The Dead and Congo are both great novels, with horrible, horrible movie adaptations....although Bruce Campbell DID star in Congo, if only for a few minutes.

Never read a bad Crichton book.
View Quote

I agree wholeheartedly, I don't think Crichton has written any duds. The andromeda strain was probably the most accurate adaptation. Esters of the dead was a fantastic book as was timeline but both were horrible movies.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Always thought "Prey" was underrated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough to choose. Congo or Jurassic Park probably, but I love everything of his I've read
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Timeline, but I like stories about time travel anyway.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely "Eaters of the Dead" and "Jurassic Park".

Also a big fan of "the Terminal Man" and "the Andromeda Strain".
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Congo was my favorite.  Have read it twice.

Sphere was pretty good, and I really enjoyed Prey.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Eaters of the Dead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoyed state of fear but thats the only one ive read
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been a long while since I read any of Crichton's books, but I remember liking Sphere the most, with probably Timeline as a runner-up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reminder - Crichton is a favorite. I liked everything he did.

First one I read was The Andromeda Strain as a kid, then Eaters of the Dead. Also enjoyed Sphere and Congo; the latter gave me the willies.

Last one I read was State of Fear - a good book, not my favorite, but I bought it for the bibliography at the back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Crichton also wrote a thriller under a pen name.

The title is Binary and the pen name is John Lange.

It is about an attempted nerve gas attack on the Republican National Convention in 1972.

It was made into a TV movie starring Ben Gazzara.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Sphere and Eaters of the Dead.

I started off with Jurassic Park in second grade.. read all of his books. Adromeda Strain was really good one too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I read The Andromeda Strain after I saw the original movie on tv and it was a lot of fun. I also really liked Disclosure.

I forgot Five Patients. It's a non-fiction book he wrote when he was a resident. It's an interesting look at medicine and why it is the way it is. It's somewhat dated, but not all that much.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't realize how many Michael Crichton books I'd read until this thread.

If you guys want a laugh, rent a movie called West World. It is the exact same premise as Jurassic Park but with robots instead of dinosaurs. If at once you don't succeed..............
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
i really enjoy Crichton and always have, they completely suck you in.
BUT

he always fucks you on the ending.

It's like he's going along great detail, totally sucked in and "oh, wrap everything up in 2 pages"

WTF?

they are all like that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you guys want a laugh, rent a movie called West World. It is the exact same premise as Jurassic Park but with robots instead of dinosaurs. If at once you don't succeed..............
View Quote

I think that was the first movie I can recall seeing with Yul Brenner in it.
Forever after, I was certain he was a robot!

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Eaters of the Dead is the only book he wrote I liked.  He was a hack writer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of the best seller authors/screen writers of all time, John Michael Crichton (of Jurassic Park and ER fame) died tragically of throat cancer on November 4, 2008 at the age of 66.  Some estimate his annual earnings before he passed at $100 million per year.  On top of that, two more novels are scheduled for posthumous release as part of a $30 million publishing contract.

Not bad, for a hack.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not bad, for a hack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the best seller authors/screen writers of all time, John Michael Crichton (of Jurassic Park and ER fame) died tragically of throat cancer on November 4, 2008 at the age of 66.  Some estimate his annual earnings before he passed at $100 million per year.  On top of that, two more novels are scheduled for posthumous release as part of a $30 million publishing contract.

Not bad, for a hack.

Dude, look at Dan Brown.  The guy is a horrible writer, but he's sold a shitload of books.  Basically, Crichton took concepts that had been around in genre fiction for DECADES and popularized them in books with one-dimensional characters...more like caricatures actually.  A lot of being a best selling author is marketing and he and Brown were well marketed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like all his books..but I remember getting a big book with a few titles in it, one being The Great Train Robbery.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 2:05:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Definitely Eaters of the Dead. The only aspect I didn't like was his inability to narrate fight scenes. I mean, I have a decent imagination, but at least go into detail. The battle/skirmish scenes in the film adaptation were vastly better than the novel's descriptions.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top