Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2014 10:30:20 PM EDT
Has anyone had time to read through these series in their entirety? Which do you recommend?

Are there any other novels, series, books that you recommend that encompass the theme of prepping?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
James wesley rawles: patriots, survivors,expatriates and one other i can't emember. going/surviving/escaping home by angey american, all great books.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

James wesley rawles: patriots, survivors,expatriates and one other i can't emember. going/surviving/escaping home by angey american, all great books.

View Quote
I've only read the first one.  Can't wait to read the rest.  I could do without the preachy bible crap though.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't read the latest Rawles book, "Expatriots" I believe is the title.  It's getting terrible reviews on Amazon.  The first 2 or 3 books are OK.  Not spectacular, but OK.  They suffer from terrible editing.

I read the first two books of the 299 Days series.  I have two problems with the series.  1. It's way over priced.  2. The Main character in book 2 did some stuff that was totally unacceptable to me.  I almost thought the author was trying to justify something that may have happened in his own life, that I find unforgiveable.

The Going Home series I rather like.  Get it. That's all I'm going to say.

Joe Nobody's  "Holding their Own" series started out good.  I haven't gone past book 4 or so yet.  It started getting weird.

John Grit's "Apocalypse Law" series has been good.  I just started book 4.

If you haven't read those it should keep you busy for a while.  But if you want the really good stuff get Matt Bracken's EFAD trilogy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the series Enemies Foreign and Domestic I really thought that one was one of the best self-published books on the market.

I also liked these -

One Second After
Lights Out
Patriots (I also read book two and thought it was okay)

I have a few others to read and it looks like you guys have listed a few books I need to add to my growing list of survival fiction.

I have heard mixed reviews of 299 days and a few that put me off from buying it are, you have to read the full series back to back to understand what happens. I like that idea it kind of reminds me of a TV show but at the price of the books it makes it hard to buy them.

Watch some youtube reviews of the book too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In what order is that series written?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't read the latest Rawles book, "Expatriots" I believe is the title.  It's getting terrible reviews on Amazon.  The first 2 or 3 books are OK.  Not spectacular, but OK.  They suffer from terrible editing.

I read the first two books of the 299 Days series.  I have two problems with the series.  1. It's way over priced.  2. The Main character in book 2 did some stuff that was totally unacceptable to me.  I almost thought the author was trying to justify something that may have happened in his own life, that I find unforgiveable.

The Going Home series I rather like.  Get it. That's all I'm going to say.

Joe Nobody's  "Holding their Own" series started out good.  I haven't gone past book 4 or so yet.  It started getting weird.

John Grit's "Apocalypse Law" series has been good.  I just started book 4.

If you haven't read those it should keep you busy for a while.  But if you want the really good stuff get Matt Bracken's EFAD trilogy.

In what order is that series written?

Going Home
Surviving Home
Escaping Home
Forsaking Home - (Not yet released)

Going Home on Kindle
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm actually re-reading the going home books now. I like them a lot but I was put off at first by the way he describes every piece of gear in his pack.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Just finished the Going Home books.  Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The joe nobody series was good through book 3. Book 3 got a little hard to believe. I don't think I'll go on and just leave it as a good three book experience.

299 days is good. I have enjoyed it. It really should have been 3 large books though. And the price is pretty steep for the series. It's a  book shelf keeper though.  There are some wtf moments but over all is good. It's actually the most plausible shtf scenario that I have read to date. And he representation of politics are spot on.  

The going home books are real good. Especially the first one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I somehow made it though joe noby's first book. It was bad enough I cant imagine ever reading any of his others even though everyone says they get better. Im also about the only person in the world that didnt like Patriots. Lights out, One second after and Deep winter series are good starters imo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of the reviews of the Joe Nobody's series claim he puts his liberal spin on the story. He thinks Airborne school is in Bragg and the soldiers get to fly the plane.

Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm almost done with the third Going Home book. I started reading them last week and am looking forward to the fourth book.

I was probably going to start the 299Days or Joe Nobody series, but all those are kinda expensive in my opinion, esp for a kindle book.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some of the reviews of the Joe Nobody's series claim he puts his liberal spin on the story. He thinks Airborne school is in Bragg and the soldiers get to fly the plane.

Any truth to this?
View Quote

No.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any truth to this?
View Quote

I didn't pick up a liberal leaning from Joe Nobody's stuff.  I've made it about half way into book 4 I think.  It's gone a little weird and I haven't touched it in a couple months.  First 2 or 3 books were good though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've read 3 of JWR's books and patriots is the best one by far.  The others couldn't live up to Patriots.

Lights out is a great book, I enjoyed reading the 2 times I've read it.

I've been looking for new books to read but its so hard to find one once I read through some of the reviews.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
John Grit's Apocalypse Law series is good.
DJ Molles series is as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been looking for new books to read but its so hard to find one once I read through some of the reviews.
View Quote

Shameless self plug: I have an average 4.5 review rating

From what I gather, most the people that dont like my stuff expect every story to be an epic survival novel (not what I was trying to write) and are also habitual complainers. The type that only leave bad reviews for any book, never good ones. When looking at reviews of stuff I want to read on amazon anymore I will click on the reviews history to see what other stuff they've read and how theyve responded there too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
i've read all the A. American books, waiting on the 4th to come out.  they are pretty good IMO.  i thought they were entertaining.  Rawles books were good too, read all but the newest one, expatriates.

if you want to go old school, you can try "alas babylon".  it's a story of survival in a post nuke war back when the word "prepper" didnt exist.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Lights Out

If you look at the reviews of the Rawles books just take the really good reviews with a grain of salt. When Founders came out he was pushing people on his blog to give him good reviews. He even intimated that people who gave him bad reviews were "anti-Christian". He has since removed that from his blog.

299 Days is decent for a self published series. It is expensive but I think worth the money. YMMV.
Holding Their Own is also decent but a has gone a little crazy in the last few books but I still enjoyed them.

The author of 299 Days was actually trying to make it into a movie but posted on his site that he couldn't get enough money raised so that has been cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Going Home series hands down. All four books are very good reading.

Read the first two 299 days before I realized the price for all 10 books and
looked at it as the gimmick it was and quit. Not worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I've read all or part of most of the series mentioned here. In order of preference:

IMO, the Going Home and DJ Molles series are both top notch. I haven't read the 4th in the Going Home series yet.

Joe Nobody's "Holding their Own" is also pretty good I thought, although as mentioned, as the series progresses it's starting to get a bit out there.

The 299 Days series is decent but there's something about the writing styles that seems off to me. Might just be me though.

I've only been able to get through about 1.5 of Rawles' books. Personally, what I did manage to read I thought was utter garbage. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. The series isn't even finished yet either.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I've read all of the A Distant Eden series as it was recommended by Jerry Pournelle on Chaos Manor a coupla years ago. The story itself can be weak at times, with some "super" human characteristics (not supermen, but just some things always break their way). The first three books are really good, the fourth is ok, and the fifth is just ridiculous at times. Main thing I like about it is it's pretty much all set in Texas
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From what I gather, most the people that dont like my stuff expect every story to be an epic survival novel (not what I was trying to write) and are also habitual complainers. The type that only leave bad reviews for any book, never good ones. When looking at reviews of stuff I want to read on amazon anymore I will click on the reviews history to see what other stuff they've read and how theyve responded there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the title/titles of your work?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Against the Grain and Pillars in the Fall by Ian Daniels
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was also going to point this out.  Unfortunately, I'm kinda hooked on it now, and was up-to-date in February, but a new book came out shortly thereafter.  Now I'm waiting on the next book again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was also going to point this out.  Unfortunately, I'm kinda hooked on it now, and was up-to-date in February, but a new book came out shortly thereafter.  Now I'm waiting on the next book again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last of the series is finally available on amazon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean the series is now over or its just the last of the books for now? I would love to read 299 days but I would like to know there is an ending.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#30]
The series is over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#31]
+1.  These two series are really good.  I enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#32]
The Tag Stevens series by JR Madsen is OK.

eta: And don't for get Aftermath for some erotic TEOTWAWKI!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pillars of Fire mentions " drinking beer in the shower"...
I lol'd.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#34]
lol nice catch. There may or may not already be a throw-away line in the next book about chilli with beans
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
lol nice catch. There may or may not already be a throw-away line in the next book about chilli with beans
View Quote

I will buy it the day it comes out.

Now stop posting and keep writing, dammit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I lol'd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

Caught that as well.  Have both  books on my kindle.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top