Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 64
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Just started Horn of the Hunter by Robert C. Ruark. Only one chapter in but I’m already hooked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Legionaire - Galaxy's Edge
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ramsey118] [#3]
On The Beach
By Nevil Shute
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Just started Horn of the Hunter by Robert C. Ruark. Only one chapter in but I’m already hooked.
View Quote

Love all his books.  The Old Man and the Boy is a classic about growing up if you haven't seen it.

I am finishing Lord of the Rings on audiobook during my daily walks.  Such great stuff when spoken aloud, when reading I often skip many of the songs.  Multiple episodes where I got goosebumps from the dramatic scenes.  And laughing about various people being sarcastic.  And cursing Denethor for being Such. A. Dick.  The movies really gave him a positive rendition compared to the books.

Probably Ringo's Last Centurion or Troy series next for audiobooks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The Peloponnesian War, Thucydides
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#6]
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
The Peloponnesian War, Thucydides
View Quote

Reaad that  back in the '70s when  I worked graveyard.  Suggest you get Herodotus too if you haven't.

Presently reading  Burgin's Island of the Damned.  He was in K/3/5 w/Eugene Sledge.

Finished reading it just now.  If you enjoyed Sledge's With The Old Breed, you'll like Burgin's book.  It provides another perspective into the fighting as well as into the men mentioned by Sledge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

I had never read it before, pretty excellent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
On Killing
Chosen Soldier
Black Hawk Down
13 Hours
KJV Bible is on repeat
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
A book written by member @Freeride21a's father on an Uncle who was with the 82nd Airborne and vanished in Holland. Phil Rosenkrantz's Letters From Uncle Dave.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
A book written by member @Freeride21a's father on an Uncle who was with the 82nd Airborne and vanished in Holland. Phil Rosenkrantz's Letters From Uncle Dave.
View Quote

Me too!!  Just started the final version myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s not new or cutting edge but I recently picked up a book by Albert Speer .
“ Inside the Third Reich .”

Very interesting read about the inner circle and the back stabbing and power grabs .

I always heard how Hitler was supposed to keep his underlings bickering so they couldn’t gang up or over thorw him .

This book sheds a whole different light .
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally picked up Jim Butcher's "Peace Talks" and "Battleground". Glad I bought them together, both are really part of the same story; probably why they came out only a few months apart.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket... Richard Holmes

Father gave this to me when I was back in the UK a couple of years ago. Finally picked it up. Glad I did interesting read.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
It’s not new or cutting edge but I recently picked up a book by Albert Speer .
“ Inside the Third Reich .”

Very interesting read about the inner circle and the back stabbing and power grabs .

I always heard how Hitler was supposed to keep his underlings bickering so they couldn’t gang up or over thorw him .

This book sheds a whole different light .
View Quote

That's on my list. Isn't it 1,000+ pages?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd
by Richard Zacks
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Just finished Devil in the White City and before that Ragman's Son by Kirk Douglas.

Kirk Douglas (his stage name) had a million stories. He only wrote a line or two about most anecdotes, leaving me curious. Even a paragraph of details written on each incident would have filled several volumes.
He reverted occasionally to his given name, Issur, writing in the third person (in italics, ala One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, a book he bought the rights to, hoping to star in the movie. His son Micheal ended up producing it and hiring Nicholson).
Kirk seemed to have an identity issue and Issur was his inner voice of the poor Russian Jewish outcast he was as a child.

The Devil was a Dr. Holmes (an alias) who built a 3 story chamber of horrors for his serial killing of associates, fiances, a wife, and young lone women that were attracted to Chicago for work by the thousands during the 1893 World's Fair.

I read the book hoping to read a detailed true crime story about one of the earliest sociopathic serial killers in the U.S., but 90% of the book was about the trials and tribulations of constructing the "White City", the later successes of the Expo and the architects and business men that made it happen.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Bradford Boggs' Lucky Davis: An Army Scout's Story.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The 13th Valley
by John M. Del Vecchio
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ramsey118] [#20]
dupe
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I always have a handfull going at a time. Currently,

Boone - Robert Morgan
Coddling of the American Mind - Haidt and Lukianoff
Yellow Green Beret - Chester Wong (Gene Yu) - this is a re read
Reflections of a Warrior - Franklin Miller
The Shield of Achilles -  Philip Bobbitt - this one is a monster, ill be chewing on it for a while.
Ikkyu - Carter Covell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The Blue Book of the John Birch Society
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Powderfinger:
Just finished Devil in the White City and before that Ragman's Son by Kirk Douglas.

Kirk Douglas (his stage name) had a million stories. He only wrote a line or two about most anecdotes, leaving me curious. Even a paragraph of details written on each incident would have filled several volumes.
He reverted occasionally to his given name, Issur, writing in the third person (in italics, ala One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, a book he bought the rights to, hoping to star in the movie. His son Micheal ended up producing it and hiring Nicholson).
Kirk seemed to have an identity issue and Issur was his inner voice of the poor Russian Jewish outcast he was as a child.

The Devil was a Dr. Holmes (an alias) who built a 3 story chamber of horrors for his serial killing of associates, fiances, a wife, and young lone women that were attracted to Chicago for work by the thousands during the 1893 World's Fair.

I read the book hoping to read a detailed true crime story about one of the earliest sociopathic serial killers in the U.S., but 90% of the book was about the trials and tribulations of constructing the "White City", the later successes of the Expo and the architects and business men that made it happen.
View Quote

The book I believe you are looking for would be:
"Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H.Holmes", by Harold Schechter.
Detailed account of the pursuit of H.H.Holmes by the insurance fraud investigator who finally brought him to justice.

Schechter is my "go to" guy when it come to psychopaths.  He wrote the books about Ed Gein ("Deviant") and the worst of the worst, Albert Fish ("Deranged").
(H.H. Holmes murdered little children, but Fish tortured them to death and then COOKED and ATE them).

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]
The book I'm reading right now is, "The Benghazi Betrayal", by James "Mac" McCarty, 2020.

New book, minute by minute account, VERY heavily footnoted and referenced, about the events of September 11/12, 2012 as Islamic militants attacked the U.S. Mission and CIA Annex facilities in Benghazi.

Good read.  Moves more quickly than one might expect given its 691 pages of text.  The fact that footnotes take up a good one third to one half of EACH page makes the book more like 325 pages of actual reading.

Hard not to like a well referenced book that makes Hussein Obama and Hillary Clinton look bad.  And the Pentagon doesn't get off the hook either, not by a long shot.  They're ALL a bunch of bums!

But at the end of the day, I think that much of it simply proves the adage that during any crisis, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Multiply that concept by an order of magnitude to, "When seconds count, even the FIRST reaction from the Federal government is only about 12 hours away."

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By engineer61:
Finally picked up Jim Butcher's "Peace Talks" and "Battleground". Glad I bought them together, both are really part of the same story; probably why they came out only a few months apart.
View Quote

I just finished Battleground.  Holy hell.  I felt exhausted after I finished reading it, it just bounced from
battle to battle, and one shocking event after another. Dresden files is still one of my favorite fantasy
series.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally Denton.

J-
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Texas Rising by Stephen L Moore
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Nikolai Litvin with Stuart Britton (transl, ed.) 800 Days On the Eastern Front.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jjc155:
The Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally Denton.

J-
View Quote

i have this on my list, please let me know how it is
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Finished LOTR on my walk, dang appendixes took 2 walks to get through and I skipped a lot.

Started Ringo's The Last Centurion but I only had the 14th file for some reason.  So I switched to Live Free or Die and promptly started laughing my butt off.  So I'll be good to go for a while on those 3 books.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Trying to get through Gad Saad's Parasitic Mind but his "I'm a poor oppressed Jew" victim whining is about to make me toss it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Finished LOTR on my walk, dang appendixes took 2 walks to get through and I skipped a lot.

Started Ringo's The Last Centurion but I only had the 14th file for some reason.  So I switched to Live Free or Die and promptly started laughing my butt off.  So I'll be good to go for a while on those 3 books.
View Quote

LFoD is Ringo at his best imho
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Fallschirmjager! by Greg Way
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ramsey118:

i have this on my list, please let me know how it is
View Quote

Very good so far (I'm about 1/2way through it).

J-
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#35]
The Korsun Pocket.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Coolio:

The book I believe you are looking for would be:
"Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H.Holmes", by Harold Schechter.
Detailed account of the pursuit of H.H.Holmes by the insurance fraud investigator who finally brought him to justice.

Schechter is my "go to" guy when it come to psychopaths.  He wrote the books about Ed Gein ("Deviant") and the worst of the worst, Albert Fish ("Deranged").
(H.H. Holmes murdered little children, but Fish tortured them to death and then COOKED and ATE them).

View Quote

Thanks for the tip.
I'll check out Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H.Holmes.

@Coolio
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve finished another sports performance book and started a wrestling technique and drills book.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]
PrairyErth. Pretended to read it during an English course during my high school years and didn't appreciate it a bit. As a Kansas native, I'm appreciating it more with age.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
An ensign in Italy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 7:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#40]
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Should have read this sooner. For a sixty-year-old book its the tits. Weird though because of being so un-PC. It's great because it catches you so off guard- the social norms of the times. Writes Roehm was a pervert homosexual. Other stuff like that. The 60's...
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
And another- the Army of Fredrich the Great by Duffy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#42]
The Day Before Midnight ny Stephen Hunter
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Behind Japanese Lines.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]
American Gods, by Neil Gaimen
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Spartan Gold
By Clive Cussler
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#46]
A Fragment of Victory in Italy - about the 92nd Infantry Div.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Boone - Robert Morgan
Coddling of the American Mind - Haidt
Yellow Green Beret v2. - "Chester Wong"
Ikkyu - Carter Covell
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished listening to "Texas Ranger:  The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde" by John Boessenecker.
- Fantastic account of Frank Hamer's life written in 2016.  Hamer is possibly the most famous of the Texas Rangers long line.  He was in 52 gun fights in his career and never lost while (hit a handful of times).  

Favorite line, "Frank explained why he had been victorious in so many shootings.  After pointing out that his preferred weapon was a rifle, he explained how he used his revolver. 'The great thing about shooting with a six-gun is to hold it steady and not to shoot too quick.  What I mean is this: a man who is afraid, who is nervous, cannot shoot straight with a six-shooter grasped in his hand.  The muzzle of the gun will wobble with every nervous pulse beat in his hand.  When you've got to fight it out with a six-shooter the only sure way is to make the first shot count.  Take it slow and cool.  Don't get excited.'"

"Sea Stories" by William McRaven.  Fairly interesting read.  He happened to be involve in a lot of things the SOF community did between 2003-2015.  Pretty full of himself through most of it.  If you want the command level SOF experience read it otherwise stick with the lower ranked guys actually making it happen.

"Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham.  Really good follow up to the HBO series about Chernobyl.  I was always interested and fascinated by the disaster.  This was a very good book - easy for a non-physicist to follow and understand.  The biggest thing I came away with was - only a huge communist country would likely let this happen and only a huge communist country could recover from it.  They essentially knew their reactor design has serious safety flaws but to admit it would mean admitting Soviet science and engineering wasn't as good as the West's.  After the disaster, they only way to recover was through energizing the entire state apparatus to combat what happened - any supplies they needed they got even if it meant using every last bit available in the entire country.  Even went as far as the people - "The Liquidators" who often had a choice of Chernobyl or Afghanistan.  Good read for those who want to know more...
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Creature from Jekyll Island and Trackers 2
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Band of Strangers.
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top