Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm rereading the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.  Just starting the 4th book.
Great urban fantasy series!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I Held Lincoln.  About Lt.  Loring of the USN who was present when Abe was shot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MadeintheUSA:
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Let me just say I'm glad I started reading this book one month into starting StrongLifts 5x5.

I lifted heavy on and off for many years. 5-6 of those years were mostly compound lifts. Apparently my squat technique sucked. I never realized propert technique involved more than breaking parallel and not arching your back. I have a lot more respect for squats now and have learned to love doing them 3x week.
View Quote
excellent guide to lifting. Read it when I was much younger and re-read it about a year ago when I started back lifting.

J-
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Haystacks of Limbs: The Siege of Petersburg, Virginia -1864-1865; The Civil War Diary of Anthony Gaveston Taylor, 39th Illinois Regiment, Company A, Volunteer Veteran Infantry by Bambi Rae Brown.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
SAKURA: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

By Zachary Hill

Zach Hill ran the "Minimum-Wage Historian" website. I loved his take on 'history'.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#6]
I just finished "Wild Bill: Americas First Gunfighter" by Tom Clavin.

This has turned up some new info on Hickok and Clavin has attempted to get to the man behind the legend.
Also by Clavin is "Dodge City" about the Earp's and Bat Masterson.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Survival of the Richest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#10]
Neal Wixson's Echoes from the Boys of Company 'H'.  It's about the 100th New York Infantry in the Civil War.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
This I Cannot Forget: The Memoirs of Nikolai Bukharin's Widow

Been on a Russian kick recently. . .read  "The Unkown Stalin" recently, which is where I read about this woman and her husband. .. good book. . . personal observations about the dark and disturbing Russia of the 30's, and one woman's journey through 20 years in the gulag. . . Pretty tough cookie---quite beautiful when she was young.  Sad and depressing at times, but even in the midst of hell, there were some brights spots of humanity. .

After being released in the 50's she devoted much of the rest of her life in rehabilitating her husbands name. . . She was a commie through and through, but I have to admire that loyalty and devotion to her husband, and her ability to endure very difficult times. .
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Buhkarin?  Wasn't he once one of the top Soviet leaders until he fell from favor and was purged?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tooBeaucoup] [#13]
Finishing up "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane.

The movie follows the book almost perfectly but I will say you get a lot more from it.

I've breezed through it, good read.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Buhkarin?  Wasn't he once one of the top Soviet leaders until he fell from favor and was purged?
View Quote
Yes.  Compatriot of Lenin.  Stalin purged all the "old Bolsheviks" in the late 30's as well as most of the senior officers in the army.   Was he paranoid or were they really plotting against him?   or both?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Tales of the Crazy - Why My Ex Embalmed Her Uterus.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FudgieGhost1:
Yes.  Compatriot of Lenin.  Stalin purged all the "old Bolsheviks" in the late 30's as well as most of the senior officers in the army.   Was he paranoid or were they really plotting against him?   or both?
View Quote
@FudgieGhost1 - Paranoid.

Currently reading Selco's book.  First pages on the media is spot on.  Lulls people into complacency.  Then divide et impera (divide and conquer), then agitation to violence.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Voices of the Fall
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#18]
About 3/4ths of the way through Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.  This has been a strange novel.  I was not enjoying it for the first quarter.  Then it started to pick up and now I don't want to put it down.  Looking forward to slowly working my way through the rest of the series.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JasonMPA:
I'm rereading the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.  Just starting the 4th book.
View Quote
@JasonMPA, Dresden Files is a great series.  How far along are you now?

I think I'm going to go back and reread Cold Days and Skin Game in preparation for Peace Talks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

I think I'm going to go back and reread Cold Days and Skin Game in preparation for Peace Talks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JasonMPA:

I just finished my reread of the series yesterday (the reread only took me 3 weeks, the books are so good I did nothing but work and read).  I originally read them a few years ago.

According to Butcher's website, his Peace talks draft is up to Chapter 49, and he's writing a chapter every 4 or 5 days, so a draft should be complete soon. Hopefully it comes out this year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds] [#21]
just finished coyote by allen steele.

read it because someone suggested it. said he was like Heinlein.

book is garbage.

its like Heinlein if heinline was a fucking hippy commie with a learning disability.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Just finished The History of the Fifty-Third Massachusetts and an Account of the Siege of Port Hudson.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: misc] [#23]
Just finished The History of the Fifty-Third Massachusetts and an Account of the Siege of Port Hudson.
View Quote
Do you speed read? You are a prolific reader,sir.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.

I put it right up there with E.B. Sledge’s “With The Old Breed”.

Yes Matterhorn is a novel and Sledge’s is an autobiography but just as impactful. Marlantes has stated all the events in the book happened to him or others he knew.

Amazing book.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Started on Deadhouse Gates, Book 2 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Space Team: Sting of the Mustard Mines
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By misc:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
He's retired and living the dream
I get 10 pages a day and 40 minutes of audiobook

Originally Posted By rocco1695:
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.

I put it right up there with E.B. Sledge’s “With The Old Breed”.
Highly recommended from me too.  It has some odd aspects and when reading I didn't know what to think about it (other than it was good).  But it has really stayed with me.  I had not compared it with Sledge, which I read later and loved, but it is a similar "human" book.  I've mentioned that classification before and it's my highest praise.  That state might be a bit easier to achieve in an autobiographical or semi-autobiographical format like Sledge or Marlantes, but it's still an achievement to put real emotion across on the page.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Major General Frank Gardner: Hero of Port Hudson
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Used to.  I'm retired so I can spend all day reading.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Decided to work in a little nonfiction, so started Debra Komar’s The Bastard of Fort Stikine: The Hudson's Bay Company and the Murder of John McLoughlin Jr.

If you need a history lesson to disabuse yourself of any of the “rugged but heroic” notions of North American frontier life, this is a great book
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#31]
David Edmonds' The Guns of Port Hudson, Vol. I: The River Campaign
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#32]
David Edmonds' The Guns of Port Hudson, Vol. I: The River Campaign
View Quote
Great read.  It covers Farragut attempting to run his squadron past Port Hudson.  Only his flagship and the ship tied alongside it made it past.  Everything else was shot up and the USS Mississippi (Commodore Perry's old flagship that opened Japan to the West) was lost.  As the Army under Banks failed to capture Port Hudson, Farragut was isolated afterward for three weeks.  Banks finally reached Farragut via the Red River.

Now onto Vol. 2 which covers the Siege of Port Hudson.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 11:14:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PanzerOfDoom] [#33]
Panzer Ace -von Rosen; just started but very good so far. The photos alone make it more than worth the price. Many early war photos from the author’s collection, he went into the USSR on day one and the very early war makes for interesting reading.

Just finished, very good read.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Recently became addicted to 40k lore videos on youtube and needed to start learning more about the universe so I just finished the Kindle books on Eisenhorn and this weekend just bought the 1st Gaunt's Ghosts books.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jjc155:

excellent guide to lifting. Read it when I was much younger and re-read it about a year ago when I started back lifting.

J-
View Quote
Ehh... I've read a lot of lifting guides as I was ISSA certified back in 08-10.  I won't say that lifting guides/books are useless but I found them to be a very risky investment if you were going to make life choices or invest serious money in someone's nutrition recommendations.

In my experience, even idiots can sound intelligent when writing (with an editor fixing the most blatant nonsense they write down).  Youtube idiots though are easy to identify though because even with editing, a person's sincerity and intelligence are obvious after only 2 or 3 videos.  And it's much easier to understand proper form of a movement/exercise with a video than with still imagery.  So for fitness stuff, I much prefer Youtube.

Scooby1969  remains the most useful channel I've ever found on YT.  Even though I'm less about lifting/nutrition these days, I appreciated everything I learned there back in the day.  In my mind, lifting guides are mostly conversation pieces.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Next book in the Expanse series, Timat's Wrath, arrives tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#37]
On Audiobooks, finished Simon Scarrow's latest (I think) Eagles book, #16 or so.  It's enjoyable overall, better writing that other long series like Lt. Leary.  As I mentioned in my first review, the heroes have plot armor so they end up getting drowned or knocked out by being hit on the head a lot.  In fact being knocked out happens twice to Cato in this last book.  But he's still sharp as a tack in spite of his 10+ concussions.

And maybe his wife's a whore, but maybe not.  But the whore allegations coincided nicely with the author's contentious divorce

As they got into Roman imperial politics it lost a little suspense since you know certain plots aren't going to work out.  But overall I found his historical adaptions or expansions to be interesting.  He makes a whole book out of two sentences in Wikipedia:
Caratacus himself was defeated in the Battle of Caer Caradoc and fled to the Roman client tribe of the Brigantes who occupied the Pennines. Their queen, Cartimandua was unable or unwilling to protect him however given her own truce with the Romans and handed him over to the invaders.
View Quote
Cause you just know there would be a shitload of trouble in that kind of maneuver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
View Quote
i was a fan of the show 1st season. i really gotta pick up the books.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
View Quote
I'm about a third of the way through it now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds] [#40]
i just read man who sold the moon by Heinlein. never read it before. i can definitely see how it inspired elon musk (as he has said in an interview).

maybe because its an earlier work but the style is way different for Heinlein, almost like he wrote it to be a 1950s screenplay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#42]
The War for All the Oceans by Roy & Lesley Adkins.

So far fairly dry and a bit dense if one doesn't have much familiarity with late 18th/early 19th century naval terminology and technology, but judging from the length seems a pretty exhaustive and detailed account of the Napoleonic wars at sea.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Charleston Battles and Seacoast Operations in South Carolina.  It's part of the Journal of the American Civil War, Vol. V, No. 2.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Charlestonians in War: The Charleston Battalion by W Chris Phelps.  It was one of the units at stationed at Battery Wagner at the epic attack on July 18, 1863.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Past Tense - Lee Childs
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Alarm Starboard!- Brooke

RN officer who served on HMS Prince of Whales during her fight with Bismarck and was onboard when sunk by the Japanese. Was then at Singapore for its fall, escaped, sunk again. Went on to escape across Sumatra and then sail across the Indian Ocean to Ceylon. Back to war.

Good stuff
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck.  Combination history and travelogue of a modern wagon trip from Missouri to Oregon.  I was skeptical at the start because the author seemed a bit whiny, but it has grown on me.  Interesting history about the wagon business and mules.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Finished Neville's book on sniping and now reading John Walters' book on the same subject.  Also rereading Ed Kugler's Dead Center and making notes along the way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Finished the Monster Hunter main series and now working through some random fantasy. Currently on The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Started on Deadhouse Gates, Book 2 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
View Quote
Finished Deadhouse Gates so now on to Malazan Book of the Fallen 3, Memories of Ice
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top