BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Devils Night Dawning by Damien Black, best described as Game of Thrones meets The Exorcist.
View Quote
On to the second in the series, Warlock’s Sun Rising
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:46:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#2]
The First Frontier was an outstanding read and puts into context the various individuals involved in the development of pre-Revolutionary War America.

I started reading The Memoirs of Marshal Zhukov which I bought at the Animal Shelter thrift store for only twenty-five cents!  The beatings administered within the Russian Army has a tradition dating back to the Tsar!  Zhukov mentions how one mean NCO was given a blanket party and knocked unconscious by his privates.  He was transferred to another company.

Russian Lesson: durakov means fool (p37).

Just finished the chapter where Zhukov is sent to Mongolia to defeat the Japanese incursion.  Getting their asses handed to them humbled the Japanese Kwangtung Army.  I don't know the terrain and there are no maps.

ETA: link to discussion on this Cold War very Soviet era book:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Joseph-Stalin-on-the-Hurricane-fighter-and-other-Soviet-views/5-2104974/?page=1
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I stumbled across my long-lost copy of "The Big Sky" last night. I dropped everything I was doing and devoured that book in a 4-hour marathon. Some stories never get stale.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My very proper elderly aunt sees my copy of Indian County by Kurt Schlichter in the back of my car when I am driving people around at the wife's family reunion.
"Hey mPisi, what are you reading?"

*think fast*

"Novel about the civil war"

*whew*
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lionofjudah] [#5]
I am not a big reader, mostly just read textbooks or peer-reviewed journals etc...

Four most recent, favourite books:

- Gymnasium of Virtue
- Jefferson Bible
- Verbal Judo
- Parish Priest

Verbal Judo is an invaluable tool. I recommend it for law enforcement and military, or anyone exposed to confrontational situations requiring defusion.

Gymnasium of Virtue was a book I picked up as a substitute for “So You’re Going to Be a Dad?” because I refuse to read those liberal, modern day books and decided to read a book about a culture of real men and women. Spartans. This book is the textbook of the Spartan agoge; everything scholars know about the agoge and Spartan culture raising kids. I recommend it for how to raise our kids to be the best soldiers.

Jefferson Bible was compiled by our founding father and former president Thomas Jefferson. He copied the “red text” from the new testament and pasted them in chronological order to give us an easy read with a clear message. This book is invaluable in its ability to share the good news of the new testament (both the history and the message) without including the miracles (or “magic”) that frightens the liberal and atheist readers. I always recommend this book to my atheist friends to introduce them to Jesus.

Parish Priest is the story of how and why the Knights of Columbus were formed right here in the United States, following the long history of persecution against Catholics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Started reading Mindhunter last week.  Before that it was Into the Dark Water, detailing the history of PT-109 and the men who served aboard her.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Book 5 of the demon cycle series “the core” by Peter Brett.

Just added “parish priest” as mentioned a few posts above
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Book 5 of the Expanse series.

Nemesis Games.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The Terminal List by Jack Carr,  written by a Navy Seal
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: misc] [#10]
"Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell. Available in PDF and it's an embarrassing few pages long but interesting take nonetheless.
"The Evolution of Civilizations" by Carroll Quigley.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Rookie Privateer by Jamie McFarlane.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The Luck of Han'anga (War of the Second Iteration, Book One)

For hundreds of years the Commonwealth has expanded into space, seeking another intelligent species to no avail. Then they found the Leyra'an, a species so much like Humanity it defied belief. But before this mystery can be resolved, there is a darker matter to be dealt with. For someone else found the Leyra'an first, and started a war.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#13]
Just finished Johann Weisskopf’s book on wolves and now on Stephen Hunter’s book on the plot to kill Truman, AMERICAN Gunfight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By strider98:
Rookie Privateer by Jamie McFarlane.
View Quote
FREE for Kindle
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Notrega:

FREE for Kindle
View Quote
Yep, but you can also get the first 5 books in the series for 6 bucks. The first is good, but the second is disappointing. Just started Parley, the third book. You can pretty much skip the second imho.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in the chapter just after his meeting with Messala.
He's home with his head is laying on his mothers lap.
He's a real Momma's Boy!

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
I'm in the chapter just after his meeting with Messala.
He's home with his head is laying on his mothers lap.
He's a real Momma's Boy!

https://img1.etsystatic.com/066/0/6316854/il_570xN.762160027_q1it.jpg
View Quote
I've been to Lew Wallace's home in Indiana.  Lew Wallace was blamed for Grant's defeat on the first day of Shiloh (actually not his fault though) and was shelved at a command that had virtually no troops.  His corps was corps in name only and had been stripped of soldiers for Grant's Overland Campaign.  Then Lee sent Jubal Early on a raid up the Shenandoah Valley and against Washington or Baltimore.  Wallace collected what troops he could and convinced a division of the VI corps to join him in his stand at Monocacy, Maryland.  Early beat Wallace badly, but Wallace bloodied Early enough to slow down his advance on D. C.  By the time Early reached D. C., the rest of the VI Corps had arrived there and shored up the defenses of the Capitol.  Years later Grant acknowledged that Wallace's stand at Monocacy saved the Capitol.  Wallace later on became the governor of the territory of New Mexico and offered Bill the Kid a pardon (if he behaved himself).

Wallace's library where he wrote Ben Hur has a sculpted image of what Wallace conceived Ben Hur to appear as.  Ben Hur appears very anglo and has a mustache.  Romans disliked facial hair though.  Oh well.

Right now I'm still reading American Gunfight.  It's about the assassination attempt on Harry Truman.  Secret Service was a lot different back then.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#19]
The Battle of the Atlantic, 1939-1943. It is vol 1 of Samuel Eliot Morrison's History of United States Naval Operations in World War II
FDR was secreted away on the cruiser Augusta to Argentia where he would meet for a few days with Prime Minister Winston Churchill. At Argentia was the British Battleship Prince of Wales.

"President Roosevelt was transported from the Augusta to the Prince of Wales in U. S. destroyer McDougal, whose bow was level with the Augusta's main deck and the British battleship's stern. It was a ticklish performance. When the destroyer made a Chinese landing (bow to stern) on the Prince, the British crew was drawn up at attention along the rail, Mr. Churchill alone being on the fantail to receive the President. A chief boatswain's mate of McDougal hailed the Premier with "Hey! Will you take a line?" Mr. Churchill replied, "Certainly" and not only caught the line but hauled it most of the way in before British tars came to his assistant."

Page 70.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Nomi Prins' Collusion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Is There Anything Good About Men?

After reading Joyce Benenson’s Warriors and Worriers, this book is a great follow up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#22]
The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:

After reading Joyce Benenson's Warriors and Worriers, this book is a great follow up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:

After reading Joyce Benenson's Warriors and Worriers, this book is a great follow up.
The reason men dominate culture and rule the world, he observes, is not that men are superior to women or have designed patriarchy to oppress women but rather that culture grew out of male relationships, which resulted in large structures containing many people (whether to engage in trade or in war), and thus men were always in charge. Whereas women, in Baumeister's view, seek close one-on-one relationships that are not culture-building. The author's belief that future cultures will be better off if they recognize and accept the differences between men and women can sound an awful lot like a "separate but equal" argument. Ultimately, though, Baumeister's repetitious and circular arguments fail to contribute any fresh ideas to the gender debate.
Hmmm. Not sure I'm enticed to read it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Just finished Art of the Con, a history of modern art fraud. It seems the art world attracts psychopaths who find an easy prey in people who are willing to ignore warning signs of a scam in favor of believing they have found that undiscovered gem. It also seems that after making millions of dollars as a scammer you should high tail it to a non extradition country before you are found out.

Middle of the way through Peterson's 12 Rules and Maps of Meaning (lectures). Keep getting bored and reading something else.

Listening to Peter Singer's Ethics in the Real World. He's a utilitarian. So far rolling my eyes a ton; not sure if I will continue. It's amazing how an intellectual can step on his dick on some obvious things that could be avoided with some fact checking.

Attempted to listen to the audiobook version of Freud's Civilization and its Discontents. The dude may be a genius but he's a terrible writer.

In the que - Jung's Modern Man in Search of a Soul.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton, about the Wild Weasel program
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Finished Peter Singer's Ethics in the Real World. My intelligence has been thoroughly insulted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Coffin Corner Boys: One Bomber, Ten Men, and Their Harrowing Escape from Nazi-Occupied France
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Sharpe's Tiger by Cornwell
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Currently I'm into "West Like Lightning" by Jim DeFleice, about the Pony Express.

Next up is "Three Days In Moscow" by Brett Baier, about Reagan in Russian.

After that, "Artemis" by Andy Weir, who wrote "The Martian".
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Just finished reading Raymond E. Feist's newest novel, "King of Ashes".  Read it without putting it down and picking something else up.  Haven't done that in a while.

Now I'm reading Jack Campbell's latest "Ascendant".

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lionofjudah] [#32]
Three books that are must read for all children:

- Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar
- Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant
- Crusade in Europe by Dwight D. Eisenhower

I will expect a full summary and/or book report on these from my children.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Flying Tigers by Sam Kleiner.  Kleiner draws on diaries of AVG members to bring to light information heretofore unknown.   Got my copy at Costco last week.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#34]
Dbl tap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By strider98:
The Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton, about the Wild Weasel program
View Quote
Good book.  If you haven't already read it, pick up a copy of Bury Us Upside Down.  Deals with the Misty FAC's in Vietnam.

Currently reading Moment of Battle, The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World, by James Lacey and Williamson Murray.  At the Battle of Saratoga right now, which is the battle that one of my ancestors fought at.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Been several years since I read it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geoint] [#38]
Originally Posted By lionofjudah:
I am not a big reader, mostly just read textbooks or peer-reviewed journals etc...

Four most recent, favourite books:

- Gymnasium of Virtue

Gymnasium of Virtue was a book I picked up as a substitute for “So You’re Going to Be a Dad?” because I refuse to read those liberal, modern day books and decided to read a book about a culture of real men and women. Spartans. This book is the textbook of the Spartan agoge; everything scholars know about the agoge and Spartan culture raising kids. I recommend it for how to raise our kids to be the best soldiers.
View Quote
Interesting choice. I also have a tremendous amount of skepticism and contempt for most modern parenting ideals and books.  Seems like they're #1 objective is always to raise little mangina bitch boys instead of men.

Been toying with the idea of writing a book about "raising warriors" for a few months now but it was like an undefined/abstract concept until I read your review of Gymnasium of Virtue.  Will have to spend some time brainstorming to really get ideas on paper.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Mountain Mafia.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Beneath a scarlet sky. By Mark Sullivan
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Also reading The Steel Albatross by Mercury astronaut and Sealab aquanaut Scott Carpenter
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Just started reading the Jenkinsverse over on reddit. It looks to be a nice timesink, based on the premise that humans evolved on a Class 12 Deathworld...and are now aware of the Universe.   Space Orcs!
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Prinz Eugen by Otto Kumm
The history of the 7 th SS Mountain Division "Prinz Eugen"
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Just started House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. It was recommended as a
very good sci-fi novel.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Just started re-reading the Jack Reacher books. On book 2 now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Number nine into C.S. Forester’s Horatio Hornblower series.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Sharpe's Fortress
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top