BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By strider98:

Awesome, I love it when people read classic sci-fi and enjoy it. Niven and Pournelle are probably my favorite writers.

Finishing rereading the first 5 Monster Hunter novels now that MH Grunge comes out today. Already have it downloaded on my Kindle
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By I_Ware:
I've finished Footfall and The Mote in God's Eye recently. The Mote was fantastic! I'm working on The Gripping Hand now. Footfall was really good as well but took longer for me to get into.

Awesome, I love it when people read classic sci-fi and enjoy it. Niven and Pournelle are probably my favorite writers.

Finishing rereading the first 5 Monster Hunter novels now that MH Grunge comes out today. Already have it downloaded on my Kindle

I've been a huge fan of SF since I was a teenager. Heinlein's my favorite author ever, and I've read most of the modern classics I think. Pretty much everything Asimov and Clarke wrote, Ringworld, Dune series, The Forever War, etc. Somehow I've missed a lot of Niven and Pournelle's stuff though. In the last year I've read Footfall, The Mote, Lucifer's Hammer. Now I'm reading The Gripping Hand and have The Legacy of Heorot as an audiobook going.

I need more!
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Finished Crux by Namez Raam (4/5) and Bryony and Roses by T. Kingfisher (3/5; starts off a little weak, but finds its pace and gets pretty decent toward the middle through the end).

New Rotation:
Bully Able Leader: The Story of a Fighter-Bomber Pilot in the Korean War by George G. Loving (0%, just started)
Claws and Starships: A collection of Pelted short fiction by M.C.A. Hogarth (0%, just started)
Learning Python by Mark Lutz (39%)
The Spire by William Golding (49%)
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Took me less than a day to read Ringo's MHI Grunge Good book, written in kind of a short story, first person fashion, with a Ringo flair.

Now rereading Footfall, only read it once, which is odd for me with Niven/Pournelle books.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]

I've been a huge fan of SF since I was a teenager. Heinlein's my favorite author ever, and I've read most of the modern classics I think. Pretty much everything Asimov and Clarke wrote, Ringworld, Dune series, The Forever War, etc. Somehow I've missed a lot of Niven and Pournelle's stuff though. In the last year I've read Footfall, The Mote, Lucifer's Hammer. Now I'm reading The Gripping Hand and have The Legacy of Heorot as an audiobook going.

I need more!
View All Quotes

I've finished Footfall and The Mote in God's Eye recently. The Mote was fantastic! I'm working on The Gripping Hand now. Footfall was really good as well but took longer for me to get into.

I need more!

I'm reading "the Integral Trees" and "the Smoke Ring" again.  Niven could come up with some amazing concepts.  He has some great writing partners.  Another good one is Niven with Brenda Cooper : "Building Harlequin's Moon", really well written.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Niven has always been one of my favorite authors. I have all his scifi books and reread some every once and a while.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#6]
Edited ~ medicmandan

The Book of Mormon
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#7]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By sgthatred:

Niven has always been one of my favorite authors. I have all his scifi books and reread some every once and a while.
View Quote
He and his co-workers come up with some of the most amazing concepts.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:51:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#9]
Edited ~ medicmandan

The Book of Mormon
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
City in the sky by Glynn Stewart was decent. So was the Starship's Mage series.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Sphere by Michael Chricton
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BakerMike] [#12]
Learning Python by Mark Lutz - 40% - continues to be a thorough, useful, but mummifyingly dry textbook

Bully Able Leader: The Story of a Fighter-Bomber Pilot in the Korean War by Lt. Gen George G. Loving, USAF (Ret.) - 54% - this is a war memoir that somehow turns stories about dive-bombing and harrowing near-crashes into dry, bloodless reports. On track for a 2/5.

Claws and Starships: A collection of Pelted short fiction by M.C.A. Hogarth - 70% - not very good sci-fi short story collection so far, lots of eye-rollers, lots of poorly-justified made-up words, stilted dialogue, way too much of that weird thing from bad detective novels where you say a character's name once in a paragraph and then think you shouldn't repeat yourself so you call them "the [thing that they are]". On track for a 2/5.

Just finished The Spire by William Golding. I found it to be kind of a slog, because the main character alternates between being a crazy person and being an unsympathetic jackass, and his is the only perspective that The Spire provides. 2/5, I think. Might have to give it another try later.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Miller's Earned in Blood.  Miller served in the 1st Marine Div. that landed on Guadacanal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I started Birthright and I'm in about 8 chapters and you have me hooked. I'm always a sucker for long lost alien civilizations stories with artifacts.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Finishing up the "Duty, Honor, Planet:  The Complete Trilogy" by Rick Partlow. I got the first book on one of the free Kindle days and decided to buy the 3 book trilogy since it was cheaper than buying the next 2 books individually. Its a good military scifi series and I hope he continues it. He has another scifi series which I plan to read too since once again I got the first book free and will see if I like it.

Glad you liked Duty, Honor, Planet.  Hope you enjoy the Birthright series as well.

I started Birthright and I'm in about 8 chapters and you have me hooked. I'm always a sucker for long lost alien civilizations stories with artifacts.

I got my notification of your 3rd Birthright book in the series today released on Amazon, picked it up immediately. Its next in my read que.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

Great book so far, hard to put down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BakerMike] [#16]
Just finished Bully Able Leader: The Story of a Fighter-Bomber Pilot in the Korean War - 2/5 for being kind of bloodless and boring (ETA - by 'bloodless' I mean kind of passionless and flat, not that I want to read a memoir about blood and guts &c.). Not enough detail to learn a ton about the Korean War, not exciting enough to read for fun. I was surprised at the volume and accuracy of tactical air support during the Korean War, the only stuff I'd ever heard about before was F-86s vs. MiG-15s way up North.
Also finished Claws and Starships - 2/5 for not getting any better than previously reported. Frig off with the ellipsis and the made-up words and the detective novel not-pronouns, already.

Now on:
Learning Python - 41%
Essays on Political Economy by Frederic Bastiat - 33% - it's like taking Econ 101 again!
John Dies at the End by David Wong - 10%
Creation by Gore Vidal - 0% - just got this one in the mail today, reading it for a book club
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
A Century of Progress, by Fred Saberhagen.  Never even heard of it till the other day.  Found it in a used book store.  Then comes The Black Mountain, also by Saberhagen.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JumpingwithTomCruise] [#18]
Way of the Reaper

By: Nicholas Irving

Just hits on more missions throughout his Ranger career and some lessons he learned.

Great book just like his first one
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Just finished Droughts and Dreams.  It's first hand (and hearsay) accounts about the Great Depression.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Now reading Sink The Tirpitz!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Just finished "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bojold.  I've never read any of her works before, so I gave her a try.  Really enjoyed it.  Just started the second novel in the series, "Paladin of Souls".

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Finished up Tomorrow War by JL Bourne last night, and read all of Day of Wrath by Forstchen tonight.

Both good, entertaining reads.  Tomorrow War felt a bit rushed at the end though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett thanks to a thread in GD.  So far I am enjoying it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Read Altered Carbon a while back, thought I'd listen to Book II of the series on audio. Was on a bike ride, graphic sex scene came on, got a huge boner. Was awkward.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Jim Rickards' The Big Drop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Current rotation:

Creation by Gore Vidal - p.26/510 - starting this one for a book club with a buddy. The main character/narrator so far splits his time between slagging off the Greeks of Athens and bitching about his nephew (ostensibly the recorder of his story) making him recite this whole story before he dies. Looking forward to the rest.

10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story by Dan Harris - 2%. First of all, this book's subtitle needs to get the hell out of my face. Only just read the preface so far, looking forward to it.

John Dies at the End by David Wong - 61% - the more I read, the more I like it.

Learning Python by Mark Lutz - 42%

I tried reading the kindle version of Medieval Warfare: the Art of War in the Middle Ages by Charles Oman, but: 1) it's a crappy abridged version for no reason, 2) whoever edited the ebook version gave it LIGHT GREY TEXT -- eagle-eyed owners of kindles may notice that their ebook readers have a LIGHT GREY SCREEN, and that therefore the editor of the electronic version of this book should be savagely killed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I just re-read Steven Callahan's book Adrift. I first read it when published in the late 80s.
It's his account of spending 76 days alone in an inflatable lift raft after his boat sank in the Atlantic.
A truly remarkable story of survival, courage and human endurance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I just finished Another Life by Andrew Vachss.  Closed out the Burke series.  I wish the series didn't end.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By 4v50:

Just finished Droughts and Dreams.  It's first hand (and hearsay) accounts about the Great Depression.
View Quote

Any thoughts? I have it in my cart on Amazon, but haven't ordered it yet.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Almost done with Sphere.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
View Quote

Used paperback on Amazon for $61?
Because Glenn Beck co-wrote it? Not sure why it would be that price.
Forget that nonsense and getThe Worst Hard Time for a penny used or $2.35 new.
The same premise of true to life families and their first hand accounts of the Dust Bowl.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I am currently reading One Year After by William Forestchen.  

I just re-read One Second After and it was great except for him referring to AR15s as "assault rifles, and magazines as "clips"

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Learning Python - Mark Lutz - 43% - I'll be dead long before I finish this book.

The Martian: A Novel - Andy Weir - 28% - so far this is SUPER GOOD. I'm having a hard time putting it down.

10% Happier: How I Turned... - Dan Harris - 37% - like Dan at this point in the book, I'm getting a little fed-up with the preamble and wish he'd cut to the damn chase and make with the helpful stuff.

Creation - Gore Vidal - p.56/512 - Slow goin'. Good, though.

I just finished John Dies at the End, which I loved to pieces - excellent blend of humor, action, existential horror, and regular-ass gore-show horror. Easily 4/5, debating making it 5/5.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Memoirs, and Letters and Journals, of Major General Riedesel During His Residence In America.  Riedesel served under Burgoyne during the ill fated Saratoga Campaign.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]

I just finished "Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)" that was on the free Kindle list here and I liked it. I am now going to read the second on in the series.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Hammerhead Six.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm reading the Dresden Files series.  The first couple books weren't that good, but now that I'm 7 books into the 15-book series, they have greatly improved.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BakerMike] [#38]
I just finished The Martian.

Top Gear Top Tip: The Martian is really, really fun! I got about halfway through it, threw my rotation out the window, and just blasted through to the end. I read the last ten percent of it just standing at my desk at work because I couldn't put it down.

ETA: New Rotation:

Creation by Gore Vidal - 69/512 - god, this book is slow
Learning Python by Mark Lutz - 43% - i'm trapped in the chapter on package imports, which is basically the swamp of sadness
10% Happier by Dan Harris - 62% - finally getting into practical territory in this book. getting better as it goes.

Just started:

Science Friction by Kyell Gold - 1% - finally started another Kyell Gold book. He needs to hurry up and finish another non-fantasy novel, I'm running out of novellas and novelettes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Currently on Storm of Swords, book three in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin which is what the show Game of Thrones is based on for those who don't know. (books are better but the show is good too)

Before SOIAF, I had a been reading a lot less than usual. I'm definitely not as fast as I used to be. This series has lit the reading spark in me again, you could say.

Also has rekindled my interest in finishing my book I've been writing for years in my head!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I've always been a one book at a time guy, unless its school-related, but I'm about to start multiples. We'll see how that goes!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#41]
"Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger - I bought it at the WWI Museum in Kansas City

I've been wanting to read it after hearing it referenced often in Dan Carlin's Hardcore History WWI podcast series, "Blueprint for Armageddon."
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Rules of the Game by Neil Strauss. It's a humorous fiction.

The Second Machine Age
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#43]
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by John Henry Patterson
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
View Quote

Is that on Kindle by chance?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Tsavo-Other-African-Adventures-ebook/dp/B017RPBXBA/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1474925518&sr=8-2-fkmr0
There's a $0.00 version, too, but in my experience some of those free-conversion ones are kinda janky.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Logan45:

Nah, hardcover.  I'm old school.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I just finished the two Ash Henderson books by Stuart MacBride. Birthdays for the Dead, and A Song for the Dying.

If you've never read Stuart's books, you really should give them a try.  Warning: He's Scottish and they take place in Scotland, so can be a bit of a tough read until you get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BakerMike] [#49]
Just finished Science Friction by Kyell Gold, which is profoundly not-safe-for-work, but wasn't as good as the other novellas by Kyell Gold. It seems to kinda lurch from scene to scene and eventually the story just stops with an audible thud. There's a little bonus story tacked onto the end, but it doesn't save the rest. 3/5.

Also finished 10% Happier by Dan Harris, which I thought was a pretty interesting memoir of his introduction to meditation and mindfulness, and coming to grips with same without putting up with a lot of woo-woo and hippie BS. Gonna try listening to his podcast. 4/5, probably.

Current rotation:
Learning Python - Lutz - 46%
Creation - Vidal - 76/500ish
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk - Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish - 9% - picked this up on recommendation from a teacher friend, who says it's got some useful communication techniques for dealing with people of all ages
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Reapers Gale by Steve Erikson, book 7 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Just starting Alliance of Shadows by Larry Correia.

Third of the way through The intelligent investor.
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top