BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mopseydocks6014:

Finished The Martian last week.  Great book.  It can be finished in a day of reading if need be.
View Quote

I read it today. Good book.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By strider98:
Monster Hunter Vendetta. Correia is a damn good writer. I don't even like horror/monster books, and I really like his.
View Quote

heh, finished this one up and now on MH Alpha. Bought the next one too
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#3]
Just finished:

Currently about done with:

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
About to start the Longmire books by Craig Johnson. Books 1-4 sitting in the mailbox, waiting for me.

Hope they're worth it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Gulag: A History by Anne Applebaum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JP_091] [#7]
Just started The third book of the Broken Empire Series, Emperor of Thorns!   Loved all the books so far
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Fordlandia by Greg Grandin
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
About to start the Longmire books by Craig Johnson. Books 1-4 sitting in the mailbox, waiting for me.

Hope they're worth it.
View Quote

If I'd started with book 1, without knowing more, I'd have never read book 4. But by book 4, he does get better.
He's better at giving you a clue who's in a scene. Less 'literary'. More detail. (Thank Gnu!) He still likes to open a scene without telling you who's in it, and making you guess by context. Not my favorite style of writing.

Come on, media mail. I want to see if he's better by book 8, or if he peaked at 4.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Monster Hunter Nemesis, by Correia, I can't believe I've read almost all of them this month Aren't Correia and Ringo collaborating on one? Anyone know when it will come out?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Monster Hunter Nemesis, by Correia, I can't believe I've read almost all of them this month Aren't Correia and Ringo collaborating on one? Anyone know when it will come out?
View Quote

Yes, Ringo's writing two or three or five novels in the Correiaverse, set 20 years before MHI. He has snippets on his BookofFace page.
Then he'll stop and write other stuff for a while. Maybe.
No idea when they'll actually hit the Baen page/dead tree slice format. Lonewolf45(?) usually has more details.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just finished The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm by William Manchester
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Frederich Ruge's Der Seekrieg.  German account of the naval war.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
this story...hard to finish:

once upon a time there was a boy named ben and ben bought a dog and the dog cost 155$ and the dog was programmed  to kill one specific person and that was ben the people who made the dog made two sensors and those sensors were on the dogs eyes and the dog was sensing ben to see if it was actually ben and it was .So when ben wasn`t looking the dog transformed into a robot and almost shot a missile when bens mom came in and saw the robot dog thing pointing the missile  at the boy when ben and then bens mom called the police and said we have an emergency my sons dog transformed  into a robot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When the police got there the dog transformed again and tuned into a dog and when the police saw the dog they said that it wasn`t an emergency but bens mom said it was the dog just a few seconds  ago the dog transformed back into a dog! I swear it`s true isn`t it ben then ben said it is true my mom is right then the dog transformed again and tuned into a robot now do you believe us  yes said the police now I believe you then the police man called in more men and then they fight 7 police vs 1 robot dog and the police won but lost 4 police men but it wasn`t over yet there were 9 more of them but some how the police won it looked very hard because there were 4 of them and 9 of the dog things  but I was happy we won at least I didn`t die but then they bot another animal that cost 575$ and that was a hamster at least it wasn`t going to kill any thing.But they did a bad thing to they went to another store and bought a robot toy and some how that came to life and killed everything that’s not ben or his family when they went shopping nobody was there so they didn`t have to pay so they got in and got what they wanted and stole some stuff and got home there hamster was gone maybe somebody stole it but how would they get in the doors were shut tight. this is a bad day
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
this story...hard to finish:

once upon a time there was a boy named ben and ben bought a dog and the dog cost 155$ and the dog was programmed  to kill one specific person and that was ben the people who made the dog made two sensors and those sensors were on the dogs eyes and the dog was sensing ben to see if it was actually ben and it was .So when ben wasn`t looking the dog transformed into a robot and almost shot a missile when bens mom came in and saw the robot dog thing pointing the missile  at the boy when ben and then bens mom called the police and said we have an emergency my sons dog transformed  into a robot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When the police got there the dog transformed again and tuned into a dog and when the police saw the dog they said that it wasn`t an emergency but bens mom said it was the dog just a few seconds  ago the dog transformed back into a dog! I swear it`s true isn`t it ben then ben said it is true my mom is right then the dog transformed again and tuned into a robot now do you believe us  yes said the police now I believe you then the police man called in more men and then they fight 7 police vs 1 robot dog and the police won but lost 4 police men but it wasn`t over yet there were 9 more of them but some how the police won it looked very hard because there were 4 of them and 9 of the dog things  but I was happy we won at least I didn`t die but then they bot another animal that cost 575$ and that was a hamster at least it wasn`t going to kill any thing.But they did a bad thing to they went to another store and bought a robot toy and some how that came to life and killed everything that’s not ben or his family when they went shopping nobody was there so they didn`t have to pay so they got in and got what they wanted and stole some stuff and got home there hamster was gone maybe somebody stole it but how would they get in the doors were shut tight. this is a bad day
View Quote

I think this is a "What you are reading" thread, not "What are you smoking" thread...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#16]
is my 8 year old boy broken?  did his front fall off?  heheheh.... he sat down and wrote that when none of his friends were home..

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Atlas shrugged

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The Amazon Legion by Tom Kratman, book 4 of the Carrera series. Kinda slow
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
The Spanish civil war, by Stanley G. Payne.

Very well researched. Factual, balanced, and well written.

A good read. Recommended for those who are interested in the subject.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Just finished The Age of the Vikings by Anders Winroth.

Good book, an easy read with plenty of footnotes for further digging.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#22]
The Colder War by Marin Katusa.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
War Dogs
By Greg Bear

http://www.amazon.com/War-Dogs-Greg-Bear/dp/0316072826

AN EPIC INTERSTELLAR TALE OF WAR FROM A MASTER OF SCIENCE FICTION.

One more tour on the red.
Maybe my last.

They made their presence on Earth known thirteen years ago.

Providing technology and scientific insights far beyond what mankind was capable of. They became indispensable advisors and promised even more gifts that we just couldn't pass up. We called them Gurus.

It took them a while to drop the other shoe. You can see why, looking back.

It was a very big shoe, completely slathered in crap.

They had been hounded by mortal enemies from sun to sun, planet to planet, and were now stretched thin -- and they needed our help.

And so our first bill came due. Skyrines like me were volunteered to pay the price. As always.

These enemies were already inside our solar system and were moving to establish a beachhead, but not on Earth.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:42:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ledanek] [#24]
I recommend this, specially if you grew up in the Dirty Harry period

Saint Monolith by Tom Reinhart (Goodreads Author)
4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·   rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"In the United States, a violent crime occurs every 26 seconds. Police officers take an oath to protect and to serve, but the laws they uphold bind their own hands. Justice is blind, so evil perseveres. Mason Stone is a decorated war hero, and a respected S.W.A.T. Commander. He’s also an unhinged lunatic and a psychopathic vigilante. He believes society has evolved, but humans have not. He is a demon to some, a saint to others, and a savior to all. One man’s struggle to cleanse the world, is also one woman’s struggle to save him from himself. A thriller. A love story. A lesson for us all about the human condition."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18300625-saint-monolith
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

and

Night of Horror: an Eyewitness Account of the Hurricane of 1938 in Southwestern New Hampshire by Ralph Page
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The Gold Warriors.  It's about Yamashita's gold in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Just ran the table of Nathan Lovell's Solar Clipper series, starting with Quarter Share.
(It caused me to sign up for the Kindle Unlimited program, because 7 books were $9.99, not $34.95.)
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
Just ran the table of Nathan Lovell's Solar Clipper series, starting with Quarter Share.
(It caused me to sign up for the Kindle Unlimited program, because 7 books were $9.99, not $34.95.)
View Quote

I enjoyed that series.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Citadel by Ringo. This series reminds me very much of some things that Pournelle and Niven have written, like Footfall and King David's Spaceship.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Citadel by Ringo. This series reminds me very much of some things that Pournelle and Niven have written, like Footfall and King David's Spaceship.
View Quote

Lucifers Hammer was AWESOME.  Reading Lord of Chaos.  I think it's the 6th Wheel of Time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#31]
William T Y'Blood's The Little Giants.  It's about the jeep carriers in the Pacific.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
William T Y'Blood's The Little Giants.  It's about the jeep carriers in the Pacific.
View Quote

Great Book...read it years ago, need to get a copy for my library,  Combustible, Vulnerable,and Expendable....and they did the job that needed to be done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By matt8844:

Lucifers Hammer was AWESOME.  Reading Lord of Chaos.  I think it's the 6th Wheel of Time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By matt8844:

I am currently rereading Lucifers Hammer. good book, although, I do like Footfall better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Rereading Fallen Angels by Niven and Pournelle. Slowly becoming prophetic.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Rereading Fallen Angels by Niven and Pournelle. Slowly becoming prophetic.
View Quote

I've meant to read this for years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Space Viking by H Beam Piper, a forgotten classic, and free on Kindle
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Dragon Master Trilogy, by Chris Bunch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Winter's Heart, Wheel of Time Book 9.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I put down the OSS in China for Duels in the Sky.  Will get back to The OSS in China for later.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#41]
The Home Schooled Shootist training to fight with a carbine by Joe Nobody.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Just finished "Hunter-Killers" by Dan Hampton about the first Wild Weasels in Vietnam
Working on "The Last Man on the Moon" by Eugene Cernan about, well, the last guy to walk on the moon.  The Mercury/Gemini/Apollo astronauts were bad asses...
Also working on "The Klondike Fever" by Pierre Berton about the Klondike goldrush in the late 1800s.  Great book that would make a fantastic HBO show like Deadwood with crazy stories and characters.  Once winter set in gold became worthless...
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Fate is the Hunter Ernest Gann...always meant to read this book..just picked up a copy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Birth of Fire by Pournelle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Just started "Lords of Chaos" by Robert Jordan.  Book six in the Wheel of Time.  The forward is 50 pages long.  The forward
View Quote

Got about 1/3 of the way in and gave up.  Haven't touched this book in at least 2 months.  Can't decide if I should give up or finish it then take a break from WoT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Just started the Janissaries series by Pournelle again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#49]
HMNZS Achilles.  She was one of Harwood's three cruisers that fought the Graf Spee.

Per the author, after an accident, the skipper wanted to see how fast she'd go and the ship hit 36 kts (42 mph)!  That is fast for a cruiser that is supposed to be rated for 32.5 kts.  Also during the battle because her gun crews were so well trained they tripled the amount of 6" shells they were expected to fire.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Currently reading "One Year after" the sequel to "One second After"

by William R. Forstchen
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top