Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 38
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The Gandy Dancer
Current and historic mystery. Description sounds intriguing.

Taboo
CSI novel set in Dublin. 1 of 4.

Lots of romance in the top 100. If that's your thing, plenty there to enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How to Make Moonshine: Master the Art of Making Moonshine from Home (Makin' Moonshine - The Ultimate Home Brewing Guide with Recipes)
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Moonshine-Ultimate-Brewing-ebook/dp/B00JGF7E04/ref=zg_bs_digital-text_f_98

Book Description
Publication Date: April 3, 2014

Learn Exactly How to Make Moonshine from Home

Have you ever wanted to make Moonshine but didn’t know where to start?

Are you looking for a rewarding hobby that you can use to make gifts or use personally?

Are you a beginner looking for a a quick way and easy way learn how you can make Moonshine?

A message from legendary Moonshine maker George Jenkins

You have landed in the right place my friend! My name is George Jenkins and I have spent my entire life in the back woods of good ol’ Tennessee makin’ Moonshine for my friends and family. Now that it is LEGAL I have decided to write this book so that YOU can start making fabulous Moonshine today!

You are going to get all my years of knowledge in this book as well as my top secret closely guarded recipes that will be sure to knock your socks off!

How to Make Moonshine - Master the Art of Making Moonshine from Home (A Preview)

* What is Moonshine? - You may have heard or Moonshine but lets explore EXACTLY what it is in order to find a better understanding on how to make it!

* History of Moonshine - Moonshine has a long and storied history. Lets take a walk down memory lane.

* Famous Moonshine Makers - I want to introduce you to the forefathers of Moonshine. You will learn about the pioneers of this tasty beverage!

* What do you need to make Moonshine? - Now it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty. Here we are going to get our hands dirty and start the whole process of making the Shine.

* How do I make Moonshine? - This is what you have all been waiting for. You’ll learn the top secrets that have made me an award winning Moonshine maker.

* Moonshine Reeipes - Here I am giving you the top secret Moonshine recipes that I have used for many years to make the best ‘Shine in all of the south!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
DOMINATUS

Book Description
Publication Date: January 14, 2013

LIBERTY. FREEDOM. FAMILY.
SOME THINGS ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR.

"Fellow patriots take notice, Mr. Ulsterman has penned prophecy!" -Dr. L. Darryl Armstrong

The United States is no more, and hidden away within the isolated wilderness of Alaska’s interior resides the tiny community of Dominatus. There lives a small but diverse group of people seeking out simple lives of personal liberty and freedom, but who now face termination under the oppressive and deadly regime of the New United Nations. They will fight and if need be, die for an America that once was. An America before being swallowed up by the monster of tyrannical global governance. An America before the mandates. An America before the government drone killings.

For all who yearn for liberty and freedom, their story is our story...

NEWLY EDITED VERSION!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Dominatus and the sequel were pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The Becoming

Gets generally good reviews (four stars).

Book Description
Publication Date: November 19, 2011

The Michaluk Virus is loose.

In the heart of Atlanta, Georgia, the Michaluk Virus has escaped the CDC, and its effects are widespread and devastating. Most of the population of the southeastern United States have become homicidal cannibals. As society rapidly crumbles under the hordes of infected, three people—Ethan Bennett, a Memphis police officer; Cade Alton, his best friend and former IDF sharpshooter; and Brandt Evans, a lieutenant in the US Marines—band together against the oncoming crush of death and terror sweeping across the world.

As Cade, Brandt, and Ethan hole up in a safe house in Tupelo, others begin to join them in their bid for survival. When the infected attack and they’re forced to flee, one departs to Memphis in search of answers while the others escape south to Biloxi, where they encounter more danger than they bargained for. And in Memphis, the answers that one man finds are the last answers he wanted, answers that herald a horrific possibility that there may be more to this virus than first suspected.

“Fast zombies become slow zombies become kick-ass.”--Peter Clines, author of EX-HEROES and EX-PATRIOTS

“From the chilling opening scenes to the tension-filled climax, Jessica Meigs has crafted a story that reminded me that zombies are really scary.”--Kevin J. Burke, author of THE LAST MAILMAN

World War One: A Layman's Guide

Another book that gets generally good reviews.

Book Description
Publication Date: November 26, 2012

This guide has been written specifically for people with little or no prior knowledge of the First World War and will be an ideal introduction to what can be a very complicated and daunting subject.

Written in an engaging way, this is more like a chat down the pub rather than a heavy historical text, and with short, sharp chapters it is very easy to dive in and out without having to re-read the previous 5 pages in an effort to remember where you left off last time your were reading.

Despite this easy going nature this is not a flimsy piece of work. Made up of 53 chapters, all the major aspects of The First World War are covered. Including:

Pre-war strategies such as the German Schlieffen Plan
Why the First World War started
The early battles of Mons and The Marne
The race to the sea
The 1914 Christmas truce
Life in the WW1 trenches
Gas warfare
The war underground
Major 1915 battles such as Ypres, Loos, and Gallipoli
The roles of Canada and Australia/New Zealand in the war
World War One at sea
Verdun
The Battle of The Somme
The roles of Canada and Australian/New Zealand in the war
Tanks
Revolutions and Mutiny
Passchendaele
The Spring Offensive of 1918
How The First World War was finally won
Armistice and peace talks

For anyone looking for an entertaining and informative overview of The First World War, this Layman's Guide provides just enough detail to gain a good grounding of knowledge and understanding, without the reader becoming overwhelmed with detail and complexity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Only 8 reviews so take it for what its worth.

Canning and Preserving Book for Beginners: Easy Canning Recipes and Supplies to Jump Start Your "How to Can, Preserve and Survival Food Storage"
http://www.amazon.com/Canning-Preserving-Book-Beginners-Supplies-ebook/dp/B00IPS7UC0/ref=zg_bs_digital-text_f_26

Book Description
Publication Date: February 27, 2014

Discover:: How To Canning and Preserving Most of The Fruits and Vegetables That are Available All Year Long!!

Would You Often Think to prepare Jams, Jellies, Relishes, Pickles, Salsas, Soups etc at Home? But Buried About Issue of Safety, Cost, Slower Process etc

But if you take Certain steps and Instruction You may Prepare Your Home canning Food Safe, Cheap and Faster!!

Start Here:: What to Know Before Starting Home Canning:

* History of Canning and Preservation

* Home Canning and Bottling

* Home Based Food Preservative Methods

* Quick USDA Guidelines for Canning

* Need, Importance, and Behavior of Preservatives

* A List of Natural Preservatives

* All about Water Bath Canning: What it is, Basic Step by Step Instruction, Altitude Chart, Safety & Handling

* Pressure Canning: Basic Instruction, Altitude Chart, Safety & Handling

* Differences Between A Dial-Gauge Pressure, A Weighted-Gauge Canner and Dual-Guage Pressure Canner!!

Take Action:: Find the Best Recipes to Start With:

* Most Popular Canned Pickle Recipe; Dill Pickle Slices, Mango Pickle, Cucumber Pickle, Lime Pickle etc

* Easy, And Best Tomato Canning Recipes; Tomato Lemon Canning etc

* Ball Canning Preserving Recipes; Ginger Pear Preserves, Blueberry Citrus Conserve, Chocolate Raspberry Sundae Topper etc

* Canning Banana Peppers Recipes; Sweet Banana Canned Pickle, Sweet Banana Peppers Pickle

* Apple canning Recipes; Canning Apple Jelly, Canning Apple Sauce, Canning Apple Butter

* Make your Own Fresh Salsa Canning Recipes; Party Salsa, Tomatillo Salsa,

* Quick and Easy Jalapenos Canning Recipe

* Recipe for Canning Green Beans

* Canning Spaghetti Sauces

* Best Canned Soup Recipe

* Recipes for Various Types of Relish and Ways to Cook Relish; Artichoke , Jalapeno Pepper ,Hot Pepper , Onion , Tomato Relish, Antipasto Relish

* Jam, Jelly, and Conserve Recipes; Carrot Cake Jam, Black Raspberry Jam, Apricot Jam, Boysenberry Jelly, Light Cherry-Berry Jam, Mixed Fruit Conserve

* Low-Sugar and Low-Sodium Recipes

* Pressure Canned Fruit and Vegetable Recipes

* Pressure Canning Seafood, Meat, and Poultry

* Pressure Canning Meal Starters and Prepared Meals Recipes
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2014/04/free-kindle-books-4-20-14.html
an interesting assortment today.

a couple of paranormal thrillers, something that does not normally trip my trigger.

a WWII espionage thriller.

and a book reportedly written by a trauma surgeon for preppers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer
View Quote

Has anyone read this one through?  The first few chapters seemed to be pretty heavy-handed on the whole "racism is baaaad, mmmkay" angle.  

Plaza was a very entertaining read.  A few points I thought were a little lame, but overall it had some good action.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Has anyone read this one through?  The first few chapters seemed to be pretty heavy-handed on the whole "racism is baaaad, mmmkay" angle.  

Plaza was a very entertaining read.  A few points I thought were a little lame, but overall it had some good action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Gandy Dancer

It's hard to write about racism without it sounding heavy-handed with how sensitive people are these days.

But, no, I haven't read it.  Just sayin'

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

I started reading it. The story is OK, but nothing that really grabs ya. I took a break from it to read some other stuff, and will probably go back to it to finish it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

It's probably a fairly accurate description of the times.
I enjoyed it, but not enough to ever read again, though one of the better "freebies".

If "Of Little Faith" by David Wolf comes up free again, grab it!
Started early this am and am over half way through- very good read.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I enjoyed it, but not enough to ever read again, though one of the better "freebies".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

I just googled "Of Little Faith" by David Wolf and got nuthin'.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The ebook Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Bacon Recipes is free again today.

And a zombie type book.

Operation Z-Day (The Raven Falconer Chronicles)

Book Description
Publication Date: October 27, 2013

FREE April 27-29, 2014 in Anticipation of the release of Vengeance Fulfilled (Final Episode) this week.

From the author of The Living Hunger comes a pandemic story written in serial form; this is Episode One (40,000 words).  Episode Two (50,000 words), Rise of the Huskers, is available now, and the final episode (40,000 words), Vengeance Fulfilled, will be released the end of April 2014 -- the carnage continues to a satisfying conclusion.  Join the mayhem!

Would-be author, Raven Falconer, is offered an opportunity of a lifetime to write and publish her first novel, Operation Z-Day.  She retreats to the mountains of beautiful Banff Nation Park in Southern Alberta to complete the work, but finds herself cut off from friends and family when a deadly virus invades Canada, and then spreads worldwide.

Thousands, then millions fall victim to the infection. The elderly and weak succumb, while impacted survivors lose cerebral brain function and ultimately their identities; spiraling into a vegetative state where only carnal instinct prevails.  

Raven eventually emerges from a secluded cabin to find marshal law instituted and the world turned upside down, where kill or be killed is rampant. Join Raven, her best friends Mick, Bobi, and Hannah for the ride of their lives. Throw in an Olympic Biathlon competitor, Nathan Edwards, infected with the transforming virus and nowhere is safe.

Episode One traces the roommates' flight from the city and their face-to-face encounters with an emerging, deadly threat, the Huskers: animalistic post-viral humans who will do anything to survive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

Sorry- Author is Thomas Eggert.

Should have had my glasses on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's hard to write about racism without it sounding heavy-handed with how sensitive people are these days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

True, lol. I wouldn't mind it if it were more subtle.  I don't need the author to spell it out for me, I recognize racism and bigotry when I read it.  If they want to use that as an element in their story that's fine with me. Just don't be so obvious about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I started reading it. The story is OK, but nothing that really grabs ya. I took a break from it to read some other stuff, and will probably go back to it to finish it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

Same here, still debating if I will finish it though since I haven't made it too far in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Same here, still debating if I will finish it though since I haven't made it too far in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gandy Dancer

I anticipated a different novel than the author delivered, based on the title. It did a yeoman like job of entertaining me for an afternoon.
It's easy to criticize - harder to praise. I've read worse - much much worse. For What It's Worth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#45]

LOL at the "AR15.com" mention on page 133 of Slow Burn: A Zombie Novel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are members, and it was posted in the fiction forum first.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#50]
A few sci-fi, techno-thriller, end of the world type ebooks buried among the usual hordes of bodice ripper style ebooks on the Amazon Top 100 Free today.

NanoStrike

The Settlers: Book 1 of The Movement Trilogy

Comes the Dark (The Dark Trilogy)

Dead Will Rise (The Fall)
Page / 38
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top