Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly "Sci fi" - more along the fantasy lines - but of late I've been reading...

Dresden Files - I'm on book 4 "Summer Knight" and have book 5 here too.

Oh and I restarted the Ranger Apprentice series.  No I don't give a fuck that it's for teens.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
On the road listening to the book of the new sun...I tried to read it but lost interest. Much easier to listen to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not exactly "Sci fi" - more along the fantasy lines - but of late I've been reading...

View Quote

Take my advice:  quit before Ghost Story.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just re-read John Birmingham's Weapons of Choice series. Cool alternate history
Story about a near future Multinational task force getting tossed back to WW2 in the middle of the
Group going to Midway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Dresden as a ghost looked kinda interesting....  

and hmmm... do teen vampire books count as scifi?
(no not twilight - although I did like those too ... been reading Vampire Academy tho)
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's put it this way:  if you enjoyed all the books prior to Ghost Story and liked the characters as developed to that point, don't read Ghost Story or anything after, because he totally trashes everything he's written till then and goes off in a totally new direction.  And it's not a direction I liked.  YMMV but I wish I could un-read Ghost Story, Changes and Cold Days.  I'm not even going to buy Skin Game.  Not interested any more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
In the past 2+ weeks I have been on a reading binge.

March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars and We Few by David Weber and John Ringo.
Monster Hunter International, Vendetta, Alpha, and Legion and getting ready to start on Nemesis.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Steven Erikson-Forge of Darkness.

Epic fantasy just can't get any more epic than this.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
RoboGenesis.  Its a follow up from Robopcoplypse by Daniel H. Wilson.
The second one seems to be a bit darker then the first but all in all a good read.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just finished reading Tom Kratman's Carrera series: A Desert Called Peace, Carnifex, The Lotus Eaters, The Amazon Legion, Come and Take Them, and The Rods and the Axe.

The last 3 could have easily been one book.  Of the 6, I didn't like The Amazon Legion as much as the rest.

Looking forward to the conclusion in Pillars of Fire.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just finished reading Tom Kratman's Carrera series: A Desert Called Peace, Carnifex, The Lotus Eaters, The Amazon Legion, Come and Take Them, and The Rods and the Axe.

The last 3 could have easily been one book.  Of the 6, I didn't like The Amazon Legion as much as the rest.

View Quote

I just finished Desert Called Peace, really liked it. Gonna have to check out the rest.
Right now I just started up Old Man's War, because Michael Z Williamson's Freehold was just too damn boring, and a libertine-arian's wet dream.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I just finished Desert Called Peace, really liked it. Gonna have to check out the rest.
Right now I just started up Old Man's War, because Michael Z Williamson's Freehold was just too damn boring, and a libertine-arian's wet dream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sometimes wonder what people who read my books think my politics are.  I wouldn't be surprised if people in the general reading public think I am a hard-core right winger while people on arfcom think I'm a liberal...
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh and I restarted the Ranger Apprentice series.  No I don't give a fuck that it's for teens.
View Quote

I'm reading through the Ranger's Apprentice here and there between other books.  I find them to be pretty entertaining and they go by pretty quick.  As a guy who shoots bows without pulleys as a hobby I can say that the author does a pretty damn good job at making both Will and Halt's archery abilities impressive without making them unbelievable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it was because I read it when it first came out before I knew anything about him, but I didn't think that Scalzi's politics bled through too much in the the OMW series.  I enjoyed the first two, thought the third drug in a few places, and never bothered with the fourth one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I just started "Midshipman's Hope", it's not bad so far but the theocratic society in the book is a little hard to identify with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe it was because I read it when it first came out before I knew anything about him, but I didn't think that Scalzi's politics bled through too much in the the OMW series.  I enjoyed the first two, thought the third drug in a few places, and never bothered with the fourth one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fourth one was weird, mainly because of the way he wrote it originally, chapter by chapter released via Amazon et al. no real ending imho either
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before but The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) just had the fourth book come out. Start with Levithan Wakes. That series is my new favorite space opera.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Fleet of Worlds series by Larry Niven, set 200yrs before Ringworld. I'm on book 2 of 5 and it's interesting so far.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sometimes wonder what people who read my books think my politics are.  I wouldn't be surprised if people in the general reading public think I am a hard-core right winger while people on arfcom think I'm a liberal...
View Quote

I have your first one in queue to start on after finishing the Honor Harrington series.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Gave up on the Dresden books.  Had to take an unexpected trip and knew they'd be due back at the library before I finished them.

So instead I restarted some of my audiobooks - i started with the deed of paksenarrion and the first 2 sequels. now i'm on the eragon audiobooks again. (it was either that or the paksenarrion prequels but I wanted a change of pace).
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm reading The President's Vampire right now.  Just started the second book.  It's actually pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just finished reading A Sword Into Darkness by Thomas Mays.  It's a self-published first SF novel by a former active duty Navy guy and it's really good.  Classic alien invasion/first contact novel with a twist.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Just finished up Scalzi's The Android's Dream and just started Ringo's A Hymn Before Battle, first Ringo book I have started to read. Very good so far, really well written.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just finished up Scalzi's The Android's Dream and just started Ringo's A Hymn Before Battle, first Ringo book I have started to read. Very good so far, really well written.
View Quote

You have a lot to look forward.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Just finished The Causal Angel by Rajaniemi. It delivers on the story; but it's not quite as innovative as the rest of the trilogy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, finished that one, and finished The Hitman. Reading a sample of Kratman's Carnifex right now, deciding on if I am going to buy it next or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ok, finished that one, and finished The Hitman. Reading a sample of Kratman's Carnifex right now, deciding on if I am going to buy it next or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you leave a review for The Hitman for sig226.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm about to start on Alas Babylon
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Just finished "Ready Player One."  It's everything "Ender's Game" is not.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmm, that sounds like a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a great story, involving lots of 80's trivia. Sadly, there is a lot of "message" in that story, 'bout evil corporations, etc. Read it once, probably won't again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.  It's also a good thing.

I'm glad that I read "Ready Player One".
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top