Quoted:

i loved the movie.  it would have been a good 80's series
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other day I finished "The Sword of Truth" series.

I needed a break before picking up the Mistborn series.

In the advice of this thread I picked up "Ready Player One".  I wanted to say it was a ripoff of Neal Stephenson but it does a good job of being its own book.  

I actually texted my mom to see if she remembers "Ladyhawke".

LadyHawke was just referenced in 'Being Human" on SyFy.

The wolf couple had a LadyHawke experience recently. But instead of being simultaneous they had about 30 mins in between each other changing. Kinda weird.

i loved the movie.  it would have been a good 80's series

I've been watching 'Being Human' from the start on SyFy. On BBC, I watched the first season and thought it was a good show, so I started watching when it aired on US television.

On another note, I read 'the Long Earth' and I am now reading 'The Long War'.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've been watching 'Being Human' from the start on SyFy. On BBC, I watched the first season and thought it was a good show, so I started watching when it aired on US television.

On another note, I read 'the Long Earth' and I am now reading 'The Long War'.
View Quote

i meant ladyhawke, but i do watch being human off and on.  i saw most of the first couple seasons on syfy, but i had to miss some of it and haven't gotten caught up yet
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir.
A very cool read for someone that understands chemistry and physics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm currently reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir.
A very cool read for someone that understands chemistry and physics.
View Quote

Finished that one last week.  Was a nice read.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m starting Dragons Wild by Robert Asprin and just found that the author died in 2008.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m starting Dragons Wild by Robert Asprin and just found that the author died in 2008.
View Quote

I hate it when I find a new author that I just love only to find out that they have passed.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hate it when I find a new author that I just love only to find out that they have passed.  

Vulcan94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94

I should have wrote a bit more. I have read many RA books over many years. I had not seen any of his books in a few years and I thought he was having another writers block episode as he has had in the past.
Looks like he ran into the final writers block.
I feel a bit sad reading his next to last book. He was only 61 and died from a heart attack.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I should have wrote a bit more. I have read many RA books over many years. I had not seen any of his books in a few years and I thought he was having another writers block episode as he has had in the past.
I feel a bit sad reading his next to last book. He was only 61 and died from a heart attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94

I had a friend recommend David Gemmell to me.  Started to read his works, which I really enjoyed, only to find out that he had died in 2006 of  coronary artery disease.

On a brighter note, I just started reading "Words of Radiance" Brandon Sanderson's next novel in his The Stormlight Archive series.  1080 pages....This one is going to take me awhile to read.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<snip>

On a brighter note, I just started reading "Words of Radiance" Brandon Sanderson's next novel in his The Stormlight Archive series.  1080 pages....This one is going to take me awhile to read.

Vulcan94
View Quote

My brother bought that yesterday. Finished it by this morning. (He reads fast!)
Now, do I borrow his copy (Fat chance!) or buy my own? Decisions, decisions!
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, man, I LOVED Ender's Game.  LOVED it.  Then I read Speaker for the Dead and by the time I finished I liked Ender's Game less by association.  By the time I read Xenocide I could take or leave Ender's Game.  By the time I finished Children of the Mind, one of the crappiest, most self indulgent pieces of utter crap I have ever read, I was no longer willing to ever read anything by Card again.  Years later I was suckered into reading Ender's Shadow and my opinion of Card hasn't improved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just finished Ender's Game  -  sucked. Flame away. Why that book is so revered I don't understand.

1/2 way finished with Swan Song, Robert R McCammon. Liking it so far.

Ender's Game had some interesting ideas and unique concepts, but Card went on to produce virtually unreadable sequel after unreadable sequel to it.

ETA: You don't GET Enders game? Should I waste time explaining how good it was?

Yes, I read them (the sequels) though. And they were a waste of time. Don't bother.

I am rereading the Elric series after being forced to suggest new reading to a newbie.

STORMBRINGER!

No, man, I LOVED Ender's Game.  LOVED it.  Then I read Speaker for the Dead and by the time I finished I liked Ender's Game less by association.  By the time I read Xenocide I could take or leave Ender's Game.  By the time I finished Children of the Mind, one of the crappiest, most self indulgent pieces of utter crap I have ever read, I was no longer willing to ever read anything by Card again.  Years later I was suckered into reading Ender's Shadow and my opinion of Card hasn't improved.

It's quite obvious you haven't read any of the Alvin journeyman books from Card.  Even bigger pieces of self indulgent crap than all the Ender sequels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's quite obvious you haven't read any of the Alvin journeyman books from Card.  Even bigger pieces of self indulgent crap than all the Ender sequels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just finished Ender's Game  -  sucked. Flame away. Why that book is so revered I don't understand.

1/2 way finished with Swan Song, Robert R McCammon. Liking it so far.

Ender's Game had some interesting ideas and unique concepts, but Card went on to produce virtually unreadable sequel after unreadable sequel to it.

ETA: You don't GET Enders game? Should I waste time explaining how good it was?

Yes, I read them (the sequels) though. And they were a waste of time. Don't bother.

I am rereading the Elric series after being forced to suggest new reading to a newbie.

STORMBRINGER!

Read all but the last one.  I'd take any of them over Children of the Mind any day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Just finished reading the entire Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
In the grim darkness of the 41st Millenium, there is only WAR!  

"It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that he may never truly die.Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In the grim darkness of the 41st Millenium, there is only WAR!  

"It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that he may never truly die.Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

View Quote
Just finished Betrayer

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#15]
R Scott Bakker just sent 'The Unholy Consult' to his publisher.  I know itll probably be 6+ months before its for sale but any news is good news when you are starving for more
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Rereading House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds.  Possibly my favorite author, Reynolds has a way with imagining technology and societies that are at once grounded and completely out there.  His fiction runs on big ideas and mysteries.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm currently reading Monster Hunter: Nemesis, the prerelease e-Arc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Listening to "Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson on Audible. Love the readers and the first book, though it was a little slow at the beginning.

Larry Correia and the The Grimnoir Chronicles are a VERY good listen! Love, Jake "heavy" Sullivan and Faye.

Mistborn series is also excellent on Audible, same readers as WOR and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Wheel of time is pretty good also.

I think I forgot how to read once we acquired Audible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

so jealous
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

so jealous
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so jealous

Why?  You could buy it if you want.  Just go to Baen's website.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Finished it already.  How's your book coming along?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I just finished Maria V. Snyder's glass series - Stormglass, Seaglass, and Spyglass.
Not sure it'll be an arfcom hit tho. It wasn't until I got to book 2 that I realized these were being published by Harlequin.
O well.  The plot was interesting, although I could have done with less on the romance.

Not sure what I'll be reading next.  I was thinking about popping down to the library to see if they had Speaker for the Dead (Ender's game book 2).  Or maybe I'll just go through the Deed of Paksenarrion again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost 600 pages right now...nearly done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Just picked up book 2 of The Demon Cycle.

Lord, this guy loves some muslims and strict doctrination.  Not sure I'm going to finish this book.

This would be the second time I put one of his books down.  I started "The Painted Man" series but wasn't in the mood, which is where I think I went to SoT series.

Book one was good, but I'm not going to get past his insatiable love for muslims or just genera statism or just general "the boot".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just finished Maria V. Snyder's glass series - Stormglass, Seaglass, and Spyglass.
Not sure it'll be an arfcom hit tho. It wasn't until I got to book 2 that I realized these were being published by Harlequin.
O well.  The plot was interesting, although I could have done with less on the romance.

Not sure what I'll be reading next.  I was thinking about popping down to the library to see if they had Speaker for the Dead (Ender's game book 2).  Or maybe I'll just go through the Deed of Paksenarrion again.
View Quote

don't do it.  stop the Ender series where I wish i would have.  don't go on with Ender's story and just consider him to have wandered the galaxy for years to come.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#26]
The whole Galactic Encounters series and Terran Trade Authority Handbook Local Space 220 AD.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

don't do it.  stop the Ender series where I wish i would have.  don't go on with Ender's story and just consider him to have wandered the galaxy for years to come.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Ender's Game was good, Speaker for the Dead was bad, Xenocide was terrible, Children of the Mind was one of the very worst books I've ever read.  I hated those books even back when I was in a phase where I LIKED Card's work.  If you read past Ender's Game you'll ruin your enjoyment of it in retrospect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm reading Pandora's Star right now. Anyone read it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

by Peter Hamilton?

If so, then no. Some folks swear by him. I've never given him a try.

Now reading "Foreseen", by Terry-Lynne Smith. (from the free books on Kindle thread). I've been able to put it down. Not usually a good sign. But I'm only 12% into it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
"The prefect "  by Alastair Reynolds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#31]
"The Sea Without a Shore" by David Drake.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

by Peter Hamilton?

Now reading "Foreseen", by Terry-Lynne Smith. (from the free books on Kindle thread). I've been able to put it down. Not usually a good sign. But I'm only 12% into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

by Peter Hamilton?

Yeah that's the one. Kinda interesting so far, but I'm not very far into it yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#33]
finished the Troy Rising series

getting back into Weber's Safehold series
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I read it a while ago. I'm lukewarm on Hamilton. I found Pandora's Star to be confusing. There are a lot of characters, many subplots, and a huge amount of exposition that IMHO was not needed. I thought most of the "Ozzie" subplot was a waste of time.

But I'm a glutton for punishment... I read the sequel and am now reading The Dreaming Void, which is set in the same universe

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I read it a while ago. I'm lukewarm on Hamilton. I found Pandora's Star to be confusing. There are a lot of characters, many subplots, and a huge amount of exposition that IMHO was not needed. I thought most of the "Ozzie" subplot was a waste of time.

But I'm a glutton for punishment... I read the sequel and am now reading The Dreaming Void, which is set in the same universe

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, yeah there is a lot of exposition...I was kind of wondering if it was going to be useful at some point. Oh well, I'm going to keep reading it for now. It has potential, there's some neat concepts so far so we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read the series and more.  he is one of my favorite SF writers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Been reading an anthology book about Zombies vs. Robots. Its ok so far.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

"The prefect "  by Alastair Reynolds.
View Quote

Great book. I'm reading Chasm City right now.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Redlaw by James Lovegrove
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Currently reading Kratman's Desert Called Peace, what other books are in that series?
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Currently reading Kratman's Desert Called Peace, what other books are in that series?
View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kratman

6 total now.  i need to pick up 4 and 5.  i don't think book 6 is in stores yet...he posted something about it on fb recently...might have been the advance copies
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I just finished Starship Troopers today, my first Heinlein experience. And I loved it. Any suggestions on what to read next written by him? I need more please.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just finished Starship Troopers today, my first Heinlein experience. And I loved it. Any suggestions on what to read next written by him? I need more please.
View Quote

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Farnham's Freehold

Glory Road

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Farnham's Freehold

Glory Road

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Farnham's Freehold

Glory Road

The man who sold the moon, Red Planet, Tunnel in the Sky
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Just finished the Martian Chronicles. Read Ender's Game before that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Farnham's Freehold

Glory Road

Between Planets, Have Space Suit-Will Travel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Right now I am re-reading my own book Birthright to get my head right for writing its sequel.
Also re-reading Dies the Fire by SM Stirling.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Right in the middle of the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey.  Starts of quickly, has a bit of a lull, and then picks right back up.  So far, I'm loving it.

Page / 8
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top