Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 11/10/2011 4:40:21 PM EDT
Just picked up the 7th book in The Clone series by Stephen L. Kent., 'The Clone Redemption' I wish he could write them out as quick as I could read them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
my son made me read " Ender's Game "
 it took me a while to start it but .....
It was actually pretty good
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Just finished "How Firm a Foundation" - book 4 of the safehold series by Weber.  He's got a new Harrington novel due out march 2012, too.

"Clockwork Girl" was pretty awesome, forget the author's name right now.

Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" and "REAMDE" were both good.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Aren't there a few books in a series? I read a short story about Ender's Game. It was part of a sci-fi collection.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Yup, its book one of a pretty decent series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_series

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Isaac Asimov
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Expendable (part 1 of League of Peoples Series)
The Thousand Sons (Horus Heresy Series)
In Death Ground (Steve White and David Webber...technically a 4 book series: Crusade(prequel), In Death Ground, Sheva Option, Insurrection(details the outliers non-populace regions of space rebelling))
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone read the book ARMOR by John Steakly?

Awesome book. I've read this one a few times. Books with powered suits fascinate me. I'd like to be around when they get developed, such as HALO or the original Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Awesome book. I've read this one a few times. Books with powered suits fascinate me. I'd like to be around when they get developed, such as HALO or the original Starship Troopers.

Yep.  Really liked it.  Sadly, I didn't like anything else he wrote

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never looked into anything else he wrote. Anything on the same level as Armor?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Steakley only wrote one other book, and it was made into a movie starring James Woods.  I think it was "Vampires"??.

Steakley was working on a sequel to "Armor" but sadly he died early this year.
His brother said that what's written wasn't in good enough shape to meet Steakley's high standards so it'll never be published.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Steakley only wrote one other book, and it was made into a movie starring James Woods.  I think it was "Vampires"??.

His brother said that what's written wasn't in good enough shape to meet Steakley's high standards so it'll never be published.

FUCK!!!  I would have loved to read what he has. A prequel or sequel would be great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm reading "choices of one" by Timothy Zahn.  

It takes place before Zahns "thrawn trilogy"

Thrawn is in it, but before his rise to grand admiral.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Reading a couple Star Wars books right now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Just picked up "The Stars My Destination" because one of my favorite bands sings a song about it

Anybody read it?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.

I got that for Christmas last year, but never got around to reading it.  I'll start reading it as it seems like a short read.  

Armor was great!  I liked it better than Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.

I got that for Christmas last year, but never got around to reading it.  I'll start reading it as it seems like a short read.  

If you guys like books with powered suits, check out The Forever War (if you haven't already).

Starship Troopers was a huge letdown for me after hearing all the hype for years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just picked up "The Stars My Destination" because one of my favorite bands sings a song about it

Anybody read it?

"The Stars My Destination" is one of the really great classic Sci-Fi novels.
You might also try Bester's novel "The Demolished Man".  How can you commit murder when the police can read your mind?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody read it?

"The Stars My Destination" is one of the really great classic Sci-Fi novels.

You might also try Bester's novel "The Demolished Man".  How can you commit murder when the police can read your mind?
Cool, I'm looking forward to getting it started.

Here's the song for anyone interested in awesome sci-fi themed metal:

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.

If you guys like books with powered suits, check out The Forever War (if you haven't already).    

Starship Troopers was a huge letdown for me after hearing all the hype for years.

Forever War was mired in Vietnam and seems very lame at this late date.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.

Forever War was mired in Vietnam and seems very lame at this late date.

Personal preference. I read it and enjoyed it, the training and the whole time dilation was pretty interesting although the book was a bit depressing. Commentary on Vietnam or not, I still think it's worth a read- and if the guy above likes books with powered suits then Forever War is a good recommendation, and hardly "lame".

I found Starship Troopers to be painful. Nothing more than a philosophical diatribe masquerading as a sci-fi book.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personal preference. I read it and enjoyed it, the training and the whole time dilation was pretty interesting although the book was a bit depressing. Commentary on Vietnam or not, I still think it's worth a read- and if the guy above likes books with powered suits then Forever War is a good recommendation, and hardly "lame".  

I found Starship Troopers to be painful. Nothing more than a philosophical diatribe masquerading as a sci-fi book.
[/div]

Well, Forever War did have powered suits, but the whole military organization stretched my willing suspension of disbelief.  Yes, Starship Troopers was a philosophical message, but it was IMHO a well-done philosophical message and the military tactics and organization were more believable to me.  Both books are dated in some respects, but whereas Starship Troopers is dated to the 50s, The Forever War is dated to the early 70s and I know which date I prefer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah, they're both dated. The philosophy in ST was done horribly IMO. It was a philosophy teacher in a class teaching philosophy...really? At least in The Forever War is was (thinly) veiled within the story.

The Forever War also was a little more meaningful to me, having deployed a few times it's hard to describe what it's like to be gone, feeling your life is on hold while everyone else's continues along as normal. It sorta hit home for me.

[div]ETA- quote tool is not working today....
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm reading Jack Cambell's "The Lost Fleet" series......again.

I also recommend E.E. Knight's "Vampire Earth" series and Mike Shepherd "Kris Longknife" series.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also recommend E.E. Knight's "Vampire Earth" series

I really like those books, but to be honest, aren't you ready for him to take that thing to a conclusion?  At this point, Valentine is gonna be fighting the Kurians from a walker...

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also recommend E.E. Knight's "Vampire Earth" series

I really like those books, but to be honest, aren't you ready for him to take that thing to a conclusion?  At this point, Valentine is gonna be fighting the Kurians from a walker...

Eventually, Yes I would like to see it concluded but I think that there is still a lot of live left in the series.  At least the books don't drag on and on like Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]
The Last Centurion... Again
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved Vampire$.

Thanks for the title. I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, Forever War did have powered suits, but the whole military organization stretched my willing suspension of disbelief.  Yes, Starship Troopers was a philosophical message, but it was IMHO a well-done philosophical message and the military tactics and organization were more believable to me.  Both books are dated in some respects, but whereas Starship Troopers is dated to the 50s, The Forever War is dated to the early 70s and I know which date I prefer.[/div]

When I read books or watch movies, I tend to shut off parts of my brain that catch references to modern day politics or philosopical messages. They bore me, so I don't get into it. I heard Star Wars pisode 3 had some politcal statements against Bush, yada, yada. I've read Troopers 3 times. before the 3rd run through, I heard about the messages and realized then what the book was about. Still, I liked it for the suits and military strategy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#30]
 Making my way through New Jedi Order
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm a Boba Fett fan myself. I read the Bounty Hunter Wars and some young teen books on Fett.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Boba Fett fan myself. I read the Bounty Hunter Wars and some young teen books on Fett.

I read star wars books all the time when I was little. Now that I have a kindle, its so easy to pick up where I left off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read star wars books all the time when I was little. Now that I have a kindle, its so easy to pick up where I left off.

My parents just gave me a Kindle Fire out of the blue.    Now I will be able to see just what all the fuss is about.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My parents just gave me a Kindle Fire out of the blue.    Now I will be able to see just what all the fuss is about.

Vulcan94

Its actually my husband's kindle. But I read the most.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Just finished reading Webers Safehold series again and now I'm reading the 20th anniversary edition of The Heir to the Empire series (Star Wars).
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Reading Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of Ibn Fadlan Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in A.D. 922".

Pretty cool narrative so far.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hey, guys... just stumbled across this thread.  

Steakley was a friend of mine.  With regards to what he's written, and hasn't, and if it'll be published... it's all up in the air.  He had switched to film treatments (there's a finished 100 page film treatment sequel to vampire$ called Werewolve$), which could be fleshed out into full novels, and there was an outline of Armor 2 with several finished chapters.  But it'll be years, if ever, before anything gets published.

However, he DID write some short stories which are available online here:  Stories

And some op/ed pieces here:  op ed pieces

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, guys... just stumbled across this thread.  

Steakley was a friend of mine.  With regards to what he's written, and hasn't, and if it'll be published... it's all up in the air.  He had switched to film treatments (there's a finished 100 page film treatment sequel to vampire$ called Werewolve$), which could be fleshed out into full novels, and there was an outline of Armor 2 with several finished chapters.  But it'll be years, if ever, before anything gets published.

However, he DID write some short stories which are available online here:  Stories

And some op/ed pieces here:  op ed pieces

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thanks, DaveAlpern. I was hoping to read some this morning at work, but my .MIL computer hates that site. Gotta wait til I get home.  Thanks though for the link. I've always wanted to hear what happened to Felix before and after Banshee. The thing about not caring if he lives or dies, but still driven to live by his 'engine' is still a mystery to me. Kind of like self-preservation. He wanted to die, but on his own terms.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#40]
David Weber.......One of the Honor Harringtons......been making my way through the series for aboout 3 months now
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#41]
just finished reading tunnel in the sky a very good book and very neat story.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What's it about?
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's it about?

It's a Robert Heinlein "juvenile" about a group of high school kids taking their final exam in their survival course, which involves going through a stargate to another, not-settled planet to survive for a week on their own.  Unfortunately, the stargate malfunctions and they are stranded there and have to try to band together to survive the very hostile planet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's it about?

It's a Robert Heinlein "juvenile" about a group of high school kids taking their final exam in their survival course, which involves going through a stargate to another, not-settled planet to survive for a week on their own.  Unfortunately, the stargate malfunctions and they are stranded there and have to try to band together to survive the very hostile planet.

Last time I read that was many years ago.  I'll have to pick that up again.  I've always enjoyed RAH works.  Really liked "Farmer in the Sky" and "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm reading ENDER'S GAME this week, loving it so far.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Forever War did have powered suits, but the whole military organization stretched my willing suspension of disbelief.  Yes, Starship Troopers was a philosophical message, but it was IMHO a well-done philosophical message and the military tactics and organization were more believable to me.  Both books are dated in some respects, but whereas Starship Troopers is dated to the 50s, The Forever War is dated to the early 70s and I know which date I prefer.

When I read books or watch movies, I tend to shut off parts of my brain that catch references to modern day politics or philosopical messages. They bore me, so I don't get into it. I heard Star Wars pisode 3 had some politcal statements against Bush, yada, yada. I've read Troopers 3 times. before the 3rd run through, I heard about the messages and realized then what the book was about. Still, I liked it for the suits and military strategy.[/div]I couldn't stand Forever War. I started reading it twice and had to put it down twice. I don't think I ever got past the second chapter because the writing was so horrible and all the guy talked about was how all the recruits kept having gang bangs.

On the other hand I make sure to read Starship Troopers once every 2-3 years and I give it as a gift every chance I get.

This year everyone on my Christmas list got MHI by Larry Correia

If you guys are into some really REALLY scientific Sci-Fi you should check out Marrow by Robert Reed

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Just finished "Variable Star" a book finished by Spider Robinson from sparse and incomplete notes left by Robert Heinlein found after RAHs death. I think Spider did a great job with it.

I am now Reading "The Rolling Stones" another RAH "juvenile". I am re-reading these in prep for handing them all off to my kids (Have Spacesuit - Will Travel etc). I want their first scifi to not suck.

If you want real tech based SCIFI, then please check out Peter F. Hamilton's "Void" series. I like the style a lot. It is exciting, technical and fast paced.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't there a few books in a series? I read a short story about Ender's Game. It was part of a sci-fi collection.

First book is incredible.  Do yourself a favor and pretend it's the only one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm rereading the Miles Vorkosigan series by McMaster Bujold.  They are good, and funny.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm rereading the Miles Vorkosigan series by McMaster Bujold.  They are good, and funny.

I'm told the "Ivan" book has been submitted to the publisher, about a month ago. Cryoburn was good, but not stellar, IMNSHO. A Civil Campaign was excellent!

I read them out of order - Ethan of Athos really made me think about some of the things our society takes for granted. "Women's work." And a rousing good story in there, also!

So many of her stories have these little nuggets, that one can just read the punchline and the scene comes flooding back.
"Vorkosigan's convalesent, more like it."
"Just kneel and rap your head on the floor 3 times, that's what the General Staff does."
"Mother, Father, I'd like to introduce you to––Stop her, she's getting away!"
"You sneaky little dwarf, I love you!"

Okay, the quotes may not be exact, but I still line up & buy her books, every one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top