My post in GD

We're here for you, Josh.

TRH
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for server page mismatch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a bummer day Wednesday. I was driving to work, listening to the Kidd Kraddick show on the radio. They were talking about a Kidd's Kid, Rowan, who has a pancreatic disease and needed a bone marrow transplant. This 8-year-old kid has been struggling with a chronic/terminal disease but is still raising money for Kidd's Kids by selling his autographs, lemonade, whatever he can do. He has spent 900 days in the hospital, has had 69 trips to the ER. The last thing I heard was that his siblings were tested and they had good news. I had to change the station. Not because I was touched for this young boy, but because I was feeling sorry for myself. I was jealous.

Of course, I wanted so much for Jeff to be able to at least have the opportunity to get a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. Every hope hung on the possibility that it would cure him, or give him more time. It would have turned our lives around. We were going to be better together. Everything was going to be rosy.

I also wished he had been taking better care of himself and that he had never gotten sick in the first place. But then, we would have likely continued on in our "okay" lives, going through the motions, taking each other for granted, doing what we felt was our best at the time, with nothing to snap us out of it. That made me even sadder.

The cold, crappy weather doesn't help my mood, either. At least we had a little fun in the snow while it lasted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry you had a bad day

I hope the bad days become less frequent over time and all that remain are the good memories.

Ken
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Every once in a while...I just have to stop by for a bit of inspiration.  God bless!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Sincerely hope you and the family are doing fine Reta.  God bless!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sad to say, this will be my last post on ARFCOM. Let's just say I have major issues with the bear pit. Maybe I should have never peeked in there.

Anyway, nothing against you fine folks who still check in on us. You are still very special to me and my family and I cherish each and every one of your posts here, the text messages, the emails. I'll miss the hilarity and nonsense of GD, and the other touching threads unfortunately similar to this one.

Most of the posts I've made here are duplicated on our blog at www.beautifuldayinparadise.com. You are welcome to check in on us there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't leave, just don't go to the pit. this post is the only place I go besides Texas hometown. Well , I learn stuff in tech, and a few others but ,,,,,,,,,,,, You got to check on us once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear that one segment of this site has soured you on the rest of us. I still check here and keep track of you and your family. Would hate not to
be able to just 'check in' and get the latest update.
Hopefully this is just part of feeling funky today and you'll reconsider. If not, I wish you and yours' peace and comfort for all your days.
May God bless you.  
oregonroofer
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll try to make it to your blog here and there.  If you reconsider, you know where we'll be.

God bless!
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Renata] [#13]
I don't even know where the Bear Pit is!

This place has a split personality.

It's full of good people, the same kind of people who supported you and your husband. There are some truly wonderful people here.

It's also full of broken, vindictive, pitiful douches.

Just stick with this thread, and a few others, and you'll be fine. This is where the good folks hang out. Our prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Really hoping no one actually called you to "The Pitt" Vile things are said there and I don't see where a lady like yourself should be pulled into it as a topic....
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought about you this afternoon, Jeff. One of my dogs was barking at the sliding glass door in back. I got up expecting to see Mr. Beasly, the ground hog. Instead I was treated to the forbidden dance of love. I thought how many might have taken the shot but to me that wouldn't be sporting. That's when I remembered your "pig stuck in the mud" story. So I got my camera and snapped a few pictures that I thought you might enjoy. -Mark aka Joker1

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joker1:
I thought about you this afternoon, Jeff. One of my dogs was barking at the sliding glass door in back. I got up expecting to see Mr. Beasly, the ground hog. Instead I was treated to the forbidden dance of love. I thought how many might have taken the shot but to me that wouldn't be sporting. That's when I remembered your "pig stuck in the mud" story. So I got my camera and snapped a few pictures that I thought you might enjoy. -Mark aka Joker1

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4030.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4029.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4028.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4016.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4018.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4015_1.jpg
View Quote

Those are some fine lookin' turkeys you got there. I agree, it wouldn't be sporting, especially during the forbidden dance of love. Heck, that'd be just plain wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I heard through the grapevine that the bear pit was undergoing a bit of an overhaul and I'm very glad. So, I'll tiptoe back into the ARFCOM waters. I must say I've missed this place

Of note, the family is road-tripping to Montana's Sioux Charley Lake this July to lay Jeff's ashes to rest. His mom really needs the closure and she's fit to make the hike, so now is a good time. At first, I was concerned that Travis wouldn't be able to hike the six miles in, but we found there is a three-mile trail that he should be able to manage, albeit with some stops along the way. We can take turns piggy-backing him if necessary. I hope we can check out Yellowstone, too, while we're in the area. If any of you fine folks are on our way, I'd love to say hi and hug your neck

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome back. The pit's not for everyone. I personally see no reason or purpose for it and avoid it entirely.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FW_wife:
I heard through the grapevine that the bear pit was undergoing a bit of an overhaul and I'm very glad. So, I'll tiptoe back into the ARFCOM waters. I must say I've missed this place

Of note, the family is road-tripping to Montana's Sioux Charley Lake this July to lay Jeff's ashes to rest. His mom really needs the closure and she's fit to make the hike, so now is a good time. At first, I was concerned that Travis wouldn't be able to hike the six miles in, but we found there is a three-mile trail that he should be able to manage, albeit with some stops along the way. We can take turns piggy-backing him if necessary. I hope we can check out Yellowstone, too, while we're in the area. If any of you fine folks are on our way, I'd love to say hi and hug your neck

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

View Quote

I'm glad to see you're back!

I hope you have a good trip to Montana.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

View Quote

Nice to see you back!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:

Nice to see you back!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Nice to see you back!

Seconded/
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FW_wife] [#25]
Well hell. We're in the throws of packing and gearing up for our trip to Montana and I was saddened to learn that I-M-A-WMD is no longer with us. He had messaged me to meet up during our stay there and I wondered why I hadn't heard back from him.  RIP Wes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Well hell. We're in the throws of packing and gearing up for our trip to Montana and I was saddened to learn that I-M-WMD is no longer with us. He had messaged me to meet up during our stay there and I wondered why I hadn't heard back from him.  RIP Wes.
View Quote

I saw the thread last night and was going to message you when I got to work today and let you know.  Then I saw your post in his thread.  
What a terrible tragedy.  It really hits home just how short and precious our time on this earth is.  

I choose to believe that Jeff was there to greet Wes with a smile and a big hug.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Server indexing bump.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally home. We had a good trip. The drive was nice. There is a lot of beautiful country between Texas and Montana. It was great to see my in-laws again. They're a hoot!

The hiking trail was more rocky than we thought, but manageable. I don't think we made it the full 3.5 miles, but Jeff's mom, Travis and I agreed on a beautiful spot overlooking Sioux Charley Lake (or a part of it) and deposited Jeff's ashes there. We each added a rock, forming a small monument. We hugged and squeezed and shed lots of tears. I had thought about writing something to say or playing some music, but the peace of the moment was profound. A youngster in our party jogged on down to the lake as we turned back to the trail head. He caught up to us and reported that we had picked the most beautiful spot and that he added a couple rocks from the lake to our small monument, so if Jeff wasn't at the lake, the lake came to him.

The kids, his mom, his buddy and I still have some of his ashes in pieces of cremation jewelry, but it's just different not having that box of Jeff's ashes on the table in the living room. I feel lighter, but a bit empty at the same time. I guess it's part of healing. The last burden has been lifted. His wishes fulfilled. Jeff's mom definitely needed this and needed to see us again. We have fun when we're all together, and laughter is GREAT medicine.

I had hoped to meet Wes's family while we were in the area, but the timing sucks. Some other time. I'm sure we'll visit Jeff's spot again.

The BF did laundry and took care of the house and cats while we were away. He also outfitted me with ammo and air horns in case we encountered some of the local fauna during our travels. I think he loves me
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for keeping the thread updated with how the journey has been going.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
View Quote

+1  
Always good to hear from you.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
stopped in to say Hi and check up on things and I,am saddened to see that we lost I,M, WMD.  In April we renamed our group of range officers and competitors , TEAM REED in honor of jeff. all the guys knew the story from here at AR15 or me. But all thing change quickly and we wont hold the event again as the owner and founder of Battleroadusa passed away 3 weeks ago.  Have no fear for we will still be lurking around and checking in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
View Quote

^ this

RIP Jeff & Wes
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By txpopgun:
stopped in to say Hi and check up on things and I,am saddened to see that we lost I,M, WMD.  In April we renamed our group of range officers and competitors , TEAM REED in honor of jeff. all the guys knew the story from here at AR15 or me. But all thing change quickly and we wont hold the event again as the owner and founder of Battleroadusa passed away 3 weeks ago.  Have no fear for we will still be lurking around and checking in.
View Quote

How very nice to honor Jeff in that way. Sorry to hear the founder passed. Unfortunately, no one can escape the fact that our days here are numbered.

This excerpt from a Facebook post from an ER nurse gave me some perspective this morning:

"... So we may cry a little less. But here is the upside: we also laugh a lot more. We love fully. We live without regret. We generally don’t waste time on negativity or pessimism. We understand fully “one life” and we aren’t about to waste it. We wear our seat belts and don’t drink and drive. We live smart, but never in moderation! We are the ones laughing the loudest! We don’t shelter our kids, because even children without trampolines are sometimes “temporary”. So we let them jump and we let them laugh, we just have a net! We don’t keep them home from the park because we are worried about the “Boogy man” because we know most of the time it’s “Creepy Uncle Ralph” that is doing naughty things to the babies anyway. If I did this job alone, the isolation would be maddening. But, I’m not. My co-workers are my sanity. My family: my rock. Together we get through this life with our eyes wide open. I wouldn’t change my world for anything."
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By txpopgun:
View Quote

Story of my life, I was one day to quick. the family was allowed the use of the ranch for the October  biathlon to be held so TEEM REED shall smoke the event one last time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FW_wife] [#35]
Some boring vacation pics... though with some cool ARFCOM and Geissele swag

The kids (Kristen, Alex, Travis)

The hiking gang (James [Jeff's buddy from the National Guard], mother- and father-in-law, me and the kids). Not pictured is the 22-year-old infinitely energetic personal trainer that my MIL and FIL brought along. Very good kid.

The view from Jeff's spot.

Our small memorial rock pile.

My gang with the hotel/cabin mascot (Kristen, my mom, me, Travis, Alex).

A bear that surprised me on the front porch while I was having my wine and string cheese.

The bear's sibling lurking around the parking lot of the cabins.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I love the first picture. And holy crap you're looking good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dsimpson04:
I love the first picture. And holy crap you're looking good.
View Quote

I agree with that picture of the kids - one of my favs.

But me? You're too kind!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Haven't been in here in a while.  Montana is such a beautiful place.  We were there summer 2014.  Hoping you guys are well.  
Lug1
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Haven't been in here in a while.  Montana is such a beautiful place.  We were there summer 2014.  Hoping you guys are well.  Lug1
View Quote

Nice of you to check in! Hope all is well with you and your family. We enjoyed Montana. We'll go back in a few years to visit and spend more time there. I did not like driving three days, spending four days there, then driving three days back... well, two days back because I wanted to skip the hotel in Dalhart. We'll also plan AROUND the bike rally in Sturgis. I didn't enjoy being awakened by motorcycles revving at 8am when I hoped to sleep in. Nicest folks, but still.

BREAKING NEWS... Both of my daughters will be taking the driving (on the road) test in the next couple weeks! We'll soon be a three-driver household, fingers crossed. That hopefully means less "Mom, can you take me <insert destination here>". On the other hand, it means more worry on my part. My oldest is finally taking some college classes and will be driving herself. She's quite the late-bloomer. My middle child is polar opposite from the oldest. Can't wait to drive, to grow up.

Travis is doing well in his new school. He's in fifth grade now so he's on a different campus. I was worried about him navigating the stairs - afraid the bigger, faster, nimbler kids would knock him down and he'd get run over. (He was born with clubbed feet and has mild cerebral palsy, so he's physically awkward.) So far, no problems. He, too, is growing up and seems to have changed so much over the summer. He went swimming without goggles and without floaties, and bathes himself now. These may be small things to many of you, but for a fearful, anxious, somewhat coddled kid, these are big steps. And he's so proud of himself! I think I owe thanks to the boyfriend for many of the changes. He's a really good influence, and Travis adores him, as do I.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Our 2014 was Colorado, Yellowstone, and SD(10 days).  Drove from Sturgis to Fort Worth straight.  Left that morning got home at midnight.  Horrible drive, but I needed to just get it over with.  You need to make sure you go to Yellowstone.  It is such an awesome place.  Betting Travis would love it.

We left Sturgis a week or so before the bike rally.  Was happy to miss that.  Not where I am at in life these days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Just dropping by to say "Hi".  
I hope the kiddos are enjoying school.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you for the updates and for keeping this very special thread alive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I haven't posted in this thread for over a year. Been a tough one for me, and didn't feel right. I lost my job unexpectedly last August. Had interviews regularly, but never a job offer, and I got completely discouraged. I have an offer now, so maybe things are starting to look up, although I'll have to uproot the family.

Reta, I'm glad to see you updating us with your family's news. Thanks for sharing the story & images of Jeff's final resting spot. It is indeed a fine one.

My continuing best wishes go out to you and the family.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Haven't been on this thread in a while.  

Life goes on!

Continued prayers for all!

A few months before my wife died, we discussed where we wanted our ashes.  After a week or so of thought, she asked, "Remember that lake where we camped in MT?"

So I have a trip to MT in my not so distant future.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By twayne:

Life goes on!

A few months before my wife died, we discussed where we wanted our ashes.  After a week or so of thought, she asked, "Remember that lake where we camped in MT?"

View Quote

Yes, indeed, life goes on. The load we carry fluctuates - sometimes getting heavier, sometimes lighter. Twayne, I'm very sorry you lost your wife, but I'm glad you guys discussed final wishes. You already know Montana is beautiful, but your next trip will be utterly different. It's a necessary journey for you both. If you're going to the Sioux Charley, give Jeff a "Hey" for me.

Into our hike, my mother-in-law started getting tired and asked with increasing frequency "how much farther?" When we could finally see a peek of the lake, we stopped to rest and she again asked "okay, how much farther?" I explained that my vision was of Jeff hunting in November and standing up high, looking down on the valley and the lake and just taking it all in. I didn't want to dump his ashes IN the lake. I told her if she found a place that she felt was THE rock, THE tree, THE path, THE bend in the river, THE view or whatever that spoke to her, I would be fine placing his ashes there, because it's ALL beautiful there. I felt we were still being true to his wishes. She agreed and we climbed up a bit from where we stopped and that's what you see in the pictures. After researching Google satellite maps a bit, I believe it is exactly the spot I envisioned.

I felt a weight off my shoulders after the trip to Montana. It wasn't just a chore that was done and could now be crossed off a list. It was an experience that I needed to have with my family and a wish fulfilled.

Again, Twayne, I'm sorry for your loss. If you need anything, just holler!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
I haven't posted in this thread for over a year. Been a tough one for me, and didn't feel right. I lost my job unexpectedly last August. Had interviews regularly, but never a job offer, and I got completely discouraged. I have an offer now, so maybe things are starting to look up, although I'll have to uproot the family.

Reta, I'm glad to see you updating us with your family's news. Thanks for sharing the story & images of Jeff's final resting spot. It is indeed a fine one.

View Quote

Life constantly throws curve balls! I'm glad things look promising for you now. Uprooting family is tough, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. You can just try to make the best of it.

Fingers crossed for your job offer!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Life constantly throws curve balls! I'm glad things look promising for you now. Uprooting family is tough, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. You can just try to make the best of it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a good job, I just hate to uproot the family and leave our home, everything to do and everyone we know. But it's been hard to struggle through on little to no income. Family comes first, and as long as we can stay together, play together, laugh, cry, love together, we'll be okay.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twayne] [#48]

Yes, indeed, life goes on. The load we carry fluctuates - sometimes getting heavier, sometimes lighter. Twayne, I'm very sorry you lost your wife, but I'm glad you guys discussed final wishes. You already know Montana is beautiful, but your next trip will be utterly different. It's a necessary journey for you both. If you're going to the Sioux Charley, give Jeff a "Hey" for me.

Into our hike, my mother-in-law started getting tired and asked with increasing frequency "how much farther?" When we could finally see a peek of the lake, we stopped to rest and she again asked "okay, how much farther?" I explained that my vision was of Jeff hunting in November and standing up high, looking down on the valley and the lake and just taking it all in. I didn't want to dump his ashes IN the lake. I told her if she found a place that she felt was THE rock, THE tree, THE path, THE bend in the river, THE view or whatever that spoke to her, I would be fine placing his ashes there, because it's ALL beautiful there. I felt we were still being true to his wishes. She agreed and we climbed up a bit from where we stopped and that's what you see in the pictures. After researching Google satellite maps a bit, I believe it is exactly the spot I envisioned.

I felt a weight off my shoulders after the trip to Montana. It wasn't just a chore that was done and could now be crossed off a list. It was an experience that I needed to have with my family and a wish fulfilled.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By twayne:

Life goes on!

Thank you so much!

Your concern for others here is truly touching.

Just checked the map and I will be going about 80 miles west of Sioux Charley.  I think  that's close enough that I'll give Jeff a shout.

God bless!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Reta,
God bless you and your family.  Your strength, and Jeff's, has been a great inspiration for many more people that you'll ever know.  This thread still gets shared from time to time.

Wes
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Y'know what? I am one tough, smart woman! I just reviewed some of my old blog posts and I can't believe I've made it. I've accomplished a lot in the last couple years. I am just pretty damn awesome. I'm sitting here crying to myself, but I'm no less awesome!

You lovely folks get some of the credit for helping me and my family through our healing. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
Page / 208
REST IN PEACE (Page 204 of 208)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top